Author Topic: No more non-PP (and hello!)?  (Read 15171 times)

Offline Colh

• GTI forum regular
Re: No more non-PP (and hello!)?
« Reply #10 on: 22 May 2018, 18:14 »
This is the response I got from @vwukhelp

Hi Col, Golf GTI orders have ceased temporarily as our factories prepare for the global switch to WLTP: volkswagen.co.uk/owners/wltp. It may be worth registering your interest with a Retailer so they can advise when this is available again.

Waiting to hear from dealership.  Will be tomorrow now.

Current: 2021 MK8 GTI DSG Atlantic Blue
Gone: 2018 MK7.5 GTI Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2015 MK7 Match Night Blue
Gone: 2010 MK6 GTD Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2008 MK5 Match Blue

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 22 May 2018, 22:13 »
You’d have thought that the members on here connected with VW would have known about a change like this??!  :rolleyes:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #12 on: 23 May 2018, 07:40 »
You’d have thought that the members on here connected with VW would have known about a change like this??!  :rolleyes:

How do you think I knew? I don't work for VW.... I visit this really good forum though, I'll send you a link if you like...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Colh

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 23 May 2018, 12:10 »
Sorry to have hijacked your thread.

Dealer hasn’t submitted the order yet.  I’ve not said any more as I expect them to be sorting something out once they get the rejection from VW.

Hey ho.  Never plain sailing with new car purchases
Current: 2021 MK8 GTI DSG Atlantic Blue
Gone: 2018 MK7.5 GTI Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2015 MK7 Match Night Blue
Gone: 2010 MK6 GTD Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2008 MK5 Match Blue

Offline ne0star

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 23 May 2018, 14:14 »
I had wondered if they would drop the price a little bit on the PP version when they deleted the non PP version, but looking at the web configurator its exactly the same price as before.
2018 Golf GTI DSG in Deep Pearl Black

Offline Jeff Wood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 23 May 2018, 14:28 »
I've also just bought a 3 Door  :grin:

Personally I think they look so much better than the 5 doors, sorry to P Off most of the members here, please forgive me  :smiley:

Also I went for the non PP.

Reasons being;

1. I dont think you need the fancy diff unless you intend to take it to a track...

2. It's extra weight, and something else to go wrong when it's out of warranty.

3. the extra 15hp is nothing, probably just covers the extra weight, that's why the 0-60 times are almost the same.

4. Brakes...OK bigger brakes would have been nice and the GTI on the calipers is cool,,,but hey, the standard brakes are perfectly good enough...

5. 7 Speed box...well the 6 speed DSG box is great,and been proven to be very reliable, maybe the 7 speed is better, or maybe its more complicated, I'm not sure on this one..
2018 Golf GTI. 3 Door. DSG. Tornado Red.
Eibach Pro Kit. OZ Hyper GT HLT Wheels. (18x8, ET50).
Forge 11mm spacers on rear wheels. 5mm on fronts.

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 23 May 2018, 15:10 »
This is disappointing as I was about to pull the trigger on a standard GTI.

I do not want or need a PP - I assume it will be noisier, drink more fuel and cost more to insure.

Offline Jeff Wood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 23 May 2018, 15:32 »
It might use a bit more fuel due to the extra weight..but then the 7 speed box should make up for that.

It won't be any noisier..
2018 Golf GTI. 3 Door. DSG. Tornado Red.
Eibach Pro Kit. OZ Hyper GT HLT Wheels. (18x8, ET50).
Forge 11mm spacers on rear wheels. 5mm on fronts.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 23 May 2018, 16:06 »
This is disappointing as I was about to pull the trigger on a standard GTI.

I do not want or need a PP - I assume it will be noisier, drink more fuel and cost more to insure.

The insurance difference will be negligible if anything at all.
It’s the same basic engine with a very slight tweak to the ECU and extra cruising gears to make motorways less thirsty on fuel. It’s not like an R which has loads of differences to the same basic engine and does use quite a bit more fuel.

The better brakes and diff make the PP well worth the extra money.
You don’t have to be a boy racer to get the benefit out of both.

The exhaust, turbo and everything else on the PP is the same as the regular GTI. It’ll be no noisier and in fact quieter cruising with the extra gear.
There’s always the option of the Polo GTI too...

With the WTLP coming in and the mk7(.5) production on a wind down I guess VW are just rationalising the range. There will be some good deals to be had later this year as they clear the last of the production stock.

Welcome btw 
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Arnold_Lane

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 23 May 2018, 16:08 »
PP also has extra 15 lbft of torque as well as 15 extra ps.

Power to weight ratio of PP is higher than non PP, but how much of a difference that makes in everyday driving is debatable. Strangely the PP DSG has a marginally lower CO2 rating than non PP DSG (144 v 145).

I do think the diff makes a notable difference when accelerating out of tight corners and the brakes are reassuring.

All in all, I think the PP option was/is a no-brainer and the extra cost is likely to be re-couped at re-sale time.
SOLD - 67 Golf GTi PP, 5dr, DSG in Issac Blue with rear camera, keyless entry, Dynaudio, Brescia alloys & DCC.