Author Topic: 1000 miles and foot to the floor  (Read 1660 times)

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
1000 miles and foot to the floor
« on: 03 April 2021, 17:57 »
Well what a eventful day. Got to just over a thousand miles so thought I would give it full throttle on my nearest country road. Got to say the handling on this MK 8 GTI is amazing in sports mode, dropping a gear and powering through corners blew me away. I honestly think the standard GTI is enough for me power wise on these roads as it give me gooseys. I'd hate to imagine what the club sport and R would be like with the power. Wasn't all plain sailing come to drive into B@M at 5 mph and a old biddy made my turning short so done my back alloy in 😂. Will it need a repair or new one.

Offline Dave1rs

• GTI forum regular
Re: 1000 miles and foot to the floor
« Reply #1 on: 03 April 2021, 18:03 »
That should be an easy repair.

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 03 April 2021, 18:22 »
That should be an easy repair.

Nice one. Mad taking corners at 70 and nothing then 5mph close gap and boom

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 03 April 2021, 18:29 »
Always the bloody way!

As you say the car is capable of a lot, probably far more than you should try on the road even! It really does monster corners though if you power through them. Seriously quick and flat with no noticeable understeer.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 03 April 2021, 19:30 »
Totally blew me away Fred to be honest, it's like a different car on these roads, Few twists and bends but gives you so much confidence going into corners, I just find it mad that it's so normal on my commute to work then boom foot to floor and I was like what the hell where's this come from. I'm finding it after my engine wear in a touch and once warmed up the exhaust is popping like mad at 3500 / 4000 rpm

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 03 April 2021, 23:30 »
Ouch! What a crappy thing to have happen, and expensive to boot  :sad:
But yeah, the cars do handle very very well.

I had a different route to work last week due to road closure, partly through forrest and partly a sweeping bendy section downhill of dual carriageway, the sort that has emergency runoffs for lorries. Honestly, despite me keeping the car to around 70mph on the dual carriageway (lots of cameras) it could have easily scythed through those bends at well over 100 and still felt completely planted. I can remember those bends from before the cameras went in and know what a difference a chassis makes there. 
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 04 April 2021, 07:56 »
No-one's mentioned yet, but in case you hadn't noticed,  your tyre is buggered - get it replaced ASAP.

Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 04 April 2021, 14:44 »
Ouch! What a crappy thing to have happen, and expensive to boot  :sad:
But yeah, the cars do handle very very well.

I had a different route to work last week due to road closure, partly through forrest and partly a sweeping bendy section downhill of dual carriageway, the sort that has emergency runoffs for lorries. Honestly, despite me keeping the car to around 70mph on the dual carriageway (lots of cameras) it could have easily scythed through those bends at well over 100 and still felt completely planted. I can remember those bends from before the cameras went in and know what a difference a chassis makes there.

Ha it's been one of them weekends but yeah defo agree just sticks at high speeds and could push for more. Roll on going on a nice road trip when restrictions ease 😊

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 04 April 2021, 14:46 »
No-one's mentioned yet, but in case you hadn't noticed,  your tyre is buggered - get it replaced ASAP.

Yep agree, what an expensive price to pay for picking up a couple of Easter eggs at B@M 😂