Author Topic: Engine conversion  (Read 1412 times)

Offline Megabus

• Just got here
Engine conversion
« on: 29 September 2015, 21:52 »
Hi all I'm new to this ,need some advice please.Im undertaking an engine conversion for my 1971 vw camper, namely a gti engine.But which engine would be best,I've been told that electrics can be tricky from mk4 onwards.i would like a 1.8 turbo but need good torque low down the rev range.Any info would be appreciated. Thanks Ian

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Re: Engine conversion
« Reply #1 on: 29 September 2015, 23:04 »
1971 camper van?

Rather than a tricky turbo I'd put in something like a 2E engine (out of early mk3 GTI). They have good torque at low end, no need to wait for turbo to spool up and so forth. Also a little easier in terms of cooling, let alone electronics side.
You can probably also fit a mk4 1.8t but I think both mechanically as well as electronically it would be easier to use a mk3 2.0 8v engine.

If you need help on electronics side (or with stuff like immobiliser) give me a shout, I am only down in Malvern.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

VW BUSH

« Reply #2 on: 30 September 2015, 12:41 »
2E engine is bomb proof

Offline Megabus

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 30 September 2015, 21:26 »
Thanks for the info I will start looking for a suitable 8v engine probably a complete car. Help with the electronics would great thanks for the offer.Ill let you know how I get on.

VW BUSH

« Reply #4 on: 01 October 2015, 18:36 »
Don't pay more than £300 for the Donor, see it cold start and run up to temp/fan cut in with no smoke white or blue and no tappet rattles.
Make sure you get the keys and ECU if you end up with an AGG or ADY engine (both are just as good as the 2e just with newer ECU control), I don't think the 2e has quite the same level of immob.
Make sure you rebuild the diff with a bolt kit if you use an 8 or 16v gearbox.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #5 on: 01 October 2015, 22:50 »
Do let me know if you need a hand. Been far too long since I tinkered with old cars in a major way.

AGG or ADY immobilisers aren't too complicated either, you can get a second hand immo box.... worst case you spend a few days trying different combinations (they don't have a log out timer like the mk4 immobilisers that lock you out for at least 8 minutes before you can try again).

Though a 2E is the easiest as it has no immobiliser at all, also marginally simpler than the others and I love them :D
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles