Author Topic: Where to look for loss of boost  (Read 2060 times)

Offline animal47

• Not said much yet
Where to look for loss of boost
« on: 22 September 2015, 23:42 »
Bought my 2001 aum with a stage one map fitted and it went really well with loads of boost from 2k, only fault was a bad maf that had been disconnected so my first job was to replace this as I am a fussy bugger about having fault lights on.
As soon as I had fitted it the car felt nice and smooth but although I could hear it start to spool at just under 2k it didn't make any noticeable power until it hit 3k and tbh under 3k it is pretty gutless. I have driven it like this for a while now as I thought the new maf had just altered things but tbh I am getting a bit annoyed with the lack of low down grunt now so today I disconnected the maf again to see if it would restore my missing power but it made no difference so I can only assume that I managed to damage something when I was wrestling the new maf into position. I have taken the engine cover off today and had a good look and feel around but can find no splits anywhere so can anyone suggest how I can trace the fault, there are no fault codes showing in vcds.

Offline xtetx

• I live here
  • started as a 1.6 now we here
Re: Where to look for loss of boost
« Reply #1 on: 23 September 2015, 11:05 »
Check the charge pipe / side mount! i upgraded to the AGU charge pipe, as the AUM has a daft connector rather than a hose clamp :)

Offline animal47

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 23 September 2015, 16:31 »
That pipe was actually checked by my mechanic a little while ago and he said it was still a nice tight fit. I am specifically looking for something that I may have damaged whilst changing the maf although I have just had it all apart again and still can't see anything wrong.
I do have some oil around what I am assuming are the pcv pipes under the inlet but although I tried to take it all apart for a better look, there are so many little pipes, plugs and clips that I just couldn't work out how to access any of it without risking breaking stuff.

Offline pickles

• I live here
  • Next!!!
« Reply #3 on: 24 September 2015, 19:22 »
smoke/pressure test  to check for leaks.
weirdos on here i tell you ;)
mk4 golf 1.8T, AGU, CAI, Forge007p DV,TIP,Decat, Bilsteins with Koni springs dropped 40mm
Mapped

Nearly S3 time  :)

Offline animal47

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 24 September 2015, 21:59 »
smoke/pressure test  to check for leaks.
That is exactly what I am thinking now as it seems the simplest way rather than to keep pulling things apart and risk more damage.
Now I just need to find someone nearby who is able to do the test for me.

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #5 on: 24 September 2015, 22:20 »
VAG COM and do some logs, you can log actual vs requested boost and a few other bits to see what's going on

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline animal47

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 25 September 2015, 01:50 »
VAG COM and do some logs, you can log actual vs requested boost and a few other bits to see what's going on
I did actually try and get some logs with vcds but tbh I didn't really know what I was doing. I could really do with some pointers on how to get the correct logs as I'm afraid I am a bit ocd with everything working as it should on my cars so this is driving me crazy lol.

Offline pickles

• I live here
  • Next!!!
« Reply #7 on: 27 September 2015, 10:50 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F5vmldtnxs  quick video of the bean can and tyre valve method, theres loads of info m8, just google boost leak tester.
weirdos on here i tell you ;)
mk4 golf 1.8T, AGU, CAI, Forge007p DV,TIP,Decat, Bilsteins with Koni springs dropped 40mm
Mapped

Nearly S3 time  :)