Author Topic: what petrol do you use?  (Read 3221 times)

Offline legg360

• GTI forum regular
Re: what petrol do you use?
« Reply #10 on: 11 April 2014, 18:25 »
As mentioned before in tuned cars I think it does make a difference, a friend of mine with a tuned Scooby will not run on supermarket fuel, he was running low and put a tenner in the car wouldn't idle having to keep the revs up to stop it stalling, and then it wouldn't pull away (it was remapped with nitro+ in tho)

In our golfs tho Ive just changed over to the nitro+ from just Morrison petrol and I think I am getting better mpg, before I wouldn't get over 40mpg but today tank and half of the stuff later sitting at 65 on the motorway with 2 bikes on the roof got 44

Id say give it ago, its only a fiver more for a full tank (my local nitro+ is 10p a litre more then Morrison) make your own mind up as im planned for remap soon im gonna be sticking with the nitro+ 
Golf GTI MK6 5dr Manual - Candy White with Jacara Cloth, Vancouver 18" Alloys, RNS 510, Cruise Control, Carbon Vinyl Wrap Roof, Milltek 3" Race Cat Back.

Offline Pld118

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 11 April 2014, 20:03 »
That was my logic.  Single figure GBP extra to fill a tank up.  Not too concerned about mpg and couldn't swear I notice any improved performance but I do feel (might be in my head) that the cars run more velvet smooth on VPower nitro+ ... And based on my friend's knowledgeable insight, it seems worth an extra couple of pounds per fill up to me but many swear that supermarket fuel is no different and as mentioned, nobody suggests supermarket fuel will damage the car anyway.

Offline chris1h

• Here all the time
  • MK6 GTI BLACK 3 DOOR
« Reply #12 on: 12 April 2014, 13:55 »
Due to being asked a previous similar question, I asked a friend with a doctorate and also a degree in Chemical Engineering/ currently working at a major UK refinery to find out answers to some such questions and this is the reply, summarised by me (I'm neither a chemical engineer, an engineer, a scientist or a mechanic and therefore it is summarised in my words, in good faith and any disagreement with the content, I won’t challenge):

* There is a difference between branded and supermarket fuel.

** The refinery produces fuel which meets all of the necessary specifications/regulations.

*** Then, when, for example a major branded tanker arrives at the refinery, in addition to loading up with the fuel, they add their own secret mix of additives to the fuel. These additives differ between the branded companies and is guarded as to the ingredients. The additives are designed to clean the engine as it runs so as to prevent problems over a long period of time. Apparently, the additive really does work and is not a gimmick.

**** Supermarket fuel, on the other hand, does not necessarily come from a local refinery. Apparently, it can arrive from far afield including mainland Europe, if they can get it at a better price. It will in any event meet all of the necessary specifications/requirements; however will not necessarily contain the additives. It does not damage your car it just means that, for example, valves could get more deposit build ups over a long period of time.

***** The other issue is the difference between basic and enhanced fuels, as one example Shell Vpower. This is considered to be very good indeed as; for example, the petrol burns cleaner and might well result in a smoother acceleration/ better performance experience from the car. It is a purer fuel. You should not notice any difference in performance in an ‘ordinary car’, but in performance cars it does make a difference. However, as it burns cleaner, it helps keep your engine cleaner and so, even for an ordinary car, it is considered to be worth putting a tankful of branded enhanced fuel in now and again.

So, that info, along with my previous logic and what I have learnt from threads like this means that reference so called 'normal cars', I will continue to fuel with supermarket fuel (using time to time tanks of enhanced branded fuel); & for so called performance engines, I will continue to use enhanced branded fuel.

i see you done your research mate! yerh think i am going to give the shell a go for a while and chop and change between morrisons and shell.   thanks for the advice buddy!
MK6 GTI - 2011 - PEARL BLACK - 3 DOOR  - 18" MONZA SHADOWS  -  RNS510/DAB  -  ACC  - SUNROOF  -  WINTER PACK  - DYNAUDIO  -  VIENNA LEATHER  - PARKING SENSORS  - BLUETOOTH

Offline jonathan_phang

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 13 April 2014, 09:24 »
On my last car (mk1 Seat Leon LCR) I always put in Shell Vpower as the engine was rated to run with higher RON petrol. Since getting my mk6 GTD I've been thinking is it worth putting in the Diesel equivalent as it technically doesnt need it.

I ended up putting it in anyway, because as I see it, over the course of one tank its only a little bit more, and that extra would only end up being spend on a coffee/drink/sandwich anyway, so why not.

I might give 'normal' diesel a try to see if there is any difference.
Candy White MK6 Golf GTD | DSG | Heated Leather | RNS 510