Author Topic: Potential GTI Owner  (Read 1791 times)

Offline al777

• Just got here
Potential GTI Owner
« on: 17 May 2017, 12:31 »
Hello,

I've found myself here in a roundabout way....

Started out looking for a fairly quick premium hatch and investigated the usual suspects - 1 Series, A Class, A3 and Golf.

Discounted 1 Series (too small, runflats), A Class (also too small, harsh ride, no spare), A3 (poor std kit, can't really get excited about it) - which left me with the Golf. Which despite not having a BMW/Merc/Audi badge, seems (by some distance) the best overall package.

Given my mileage (18k pa) I was drifting towards a GTD but with recent 'demonization' of diesel, I've been thinking of a brand new Mark 7.5 GTI. Still have to get my head around ride quality (I don't have a 'sports' car background) and MPG though.

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
Re: Potential GTI Owner
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2017, 12:43 »
Welcome to the forum.

Get yourself out in a facelift GTI for a long test drive and see what you think. I would highly recommend you purchasing one :cool:

In fact, just buy one right now.

Offline al777

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2017, 14:12 »
Thanks hog,

I did have a test drive in a Mark 7 which was very nice though I found the ride a bit harsh on my local roads, which are quite poor. I understand that the optional DCC would help - if only I could find a demo with that fitted to try!

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2017, 14:55 »
Found myself very much in the same boat as you, with similar mileage (albeit probably 2-3k less).

1 Series looks too outdated now in my opinion.  A Class doesn't pull up any trees and as you say is actually surprising small (boot space is awful).  S3 was an option but greater discount available on the Golf (I was considering both R and GTI, I drove the GTD and ruled it out - didn't tick the performance box for me coming from a 190bhp, lighter, Ibiza).  Went with the GTI with one eye on fuel consumption, and I'm returning high 30s/low 40s fairly regularly with my normal driving.  No regrets!

As the cars are very comparable in many respects (mechanically at least), it would be worthwhile looking at the Leon Cupra and the bigger Octavia VRS.
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.

Offline al777

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2017, 15:15 »
Thanks brettblade,

Had a look at the Cupra but found the interior quality not quite up the level of the Golf. And the Octavia would be a bit too big for me.

Interesting that you are averaging around 40mpg - I could live with that.

How do you find the DCC?

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2017, 08:29 »
Thanks brettblade,

Had a look at the Cupra but found the interior quality not quite up the level of the Golf. And the Octavia would be a bit too big for me.

Interesting that you are averaging around 40mpg - I could live with that.

How do you find the DCC?

I find it rides very well, but I haven't spent enough time in a non-DCC car for a direct comparison.  My decision to go for DCC was driven by the fact that practically all of the well specc'ed used examples had DCC, so on paper it appeared to be one of the more cost neutral options.
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.