Author Topic: My detailing haven  (Read 6672 times)

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: My detailing haven
« Reply #10 on: 27 November 2015, 09:49 »
Did you get an engineer to spec the steel? With only 440mm masonry returns, plus a door opening so close in the side wall, there is little in the way of buttressing on the corners. I would have specified a steel wind post, bolted into the corner on each side to beef the structure up a bit more.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 27 November 2015, 11:48 »
 :grin:

Staffordshire and happy to take you for a spin!

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: 27 November 2015, 11:51 »
Did you get an engineer to spec the steel? With only 440mm masonry returns, plus a door opening so close in the side wall, there is little in the way of buttressing on the corners. I would have specified a steel wind post, bolted into the corner on each side to beef the structure up a bit more.

Hi Steve

Yes cost me £250 for drawings and nearly a grand for the steel due to its specification. A friend of mine heads up my councils building control team so used guys he recommended to me to be on the safe side. The steel guy said he's never made steel like it before and the steel is sat on pad stones too.

Cheers

Neil

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 27 November 2015, 12:07 »
I'm sure it will be fine Neil, but my concern would not be with the beam, or the padstones it's sat on, but the potential for deflection in the corners of the building. I would have either designed a 'goal post' frame or fixed steel angles into the internal corners to stiffen the building up.

I suppose most things have to be belt and braces designed these days. Years ago building were put up and altered with little thought to these things, and they're still standing.

Simon
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: 27 November 2015, 12:36 »
I'm sure it will be fine Neil, but my concern would not be with the beam, or the padstones it's sat on, but the potential for deflection in the corners of the building. I would have either designed a 'goal post' frame or fixed steel angles into the internal corners to stiffen the building up.

I suppose most things have to be belt and braces designed these days. Years ago building were put up and altered with little thought to these things, and they're still standing.

Simon

No worries and thanks for sharing your insight. The project began with a neighbour "i'll sort that for you" but I was never going to go that route. At the end of the day if the roof caves in the people who have signed off the design will have a huge problem  :evil:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 27 November 2015, 14:55 »

Simon

No worries and thanks for sharing your insight. The project began with a neighbour "i'll sort that for you" but I was never going to go that route. At the end of the day if the roof caves in the people who have signed off the design will have a huge problem  :evil:

Don't forget to wear a hard hat and Hi-Vis vest when detailing.  :laugh:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: 27 November 2015, 15:03 »

Simon

I know Dubbers got me paranoid now!

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 27 November 2015, 15:07 »
No need to be paranoid Neil, it would have fallen down by now if it was going to. Having said that, you haven't loaded up the loft up and we haven't had any high winds...yet.

Sorry, I'll keep quiet now.  :laugh:

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: 27 November 2015, 15:10 »
No need to be paranoid Neil, it would have fallen down by now if it was going to. Having said that, you haven't loaded up the loft up and we haven't had any high winds...yet.

Sorry, I'll keep quiet now.  :laugh:

Yeah we have on both counts, so fingers crossed if its gonna fall down it'll be when Bevs car is in the garage and then I can replace the Bug with a Clubsport, but not with cr@ppy wheels!

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 27 November 2015, 15:10 »

I know Dubbers got me paranoid now!

"Once an architect............"  :wink:

I share an office with an architect and everything is viewed with the 'architect's eye'.
« Last Edit: 27 November 2015, 15:19 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11