Author Topic: New GTI PP spec  (Read 5634 times)

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
Re: New GTI PP spec
« Reply #30 on: 23 March 2019, 17:17 »
Thanks for all the replies. I'm pretty much settled now on Art Velours interior, Climate Windscreen and DCC.

Or at least I was. The TCR has thrown a spanner in the works!!

I can't spec the Art Velours interior on the TCR but its interior looks great to me and I would be happy with it as it comes. With the other two options spec'd on the TCR it comes out at about £1500 more expensive than the GTI PP.

The visual tweaks, lighter wheels, more power make the TCR very appealing for an extra £1500. It's a small thing but the TCR puddle lights also appeal.

My only concern is ride quality. Ride comfort is very important to me hence me speccing DCC on 18" wheels and all of the reviews say the TCR has a firmer ride. Were they testing it on 19" wheels though?

Maybe I'll try to test drive both if I can find a dealer with a TCR.

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #31 on: 23 March 2019, 17:21 »
PS yes, it's a small thing but I also prefer black wing mirrors on a white car which the TCR has. You can no longer spec these on the GTI PP.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #32 on: 23 March 2019, 18:43 »
Could always buy replacements or get them wrapped  :whistle:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #33 on: 23 March 2019, 19:47 »
Decisions, decisions. Just read two reviews for the TCR:
auto express: "the suspension seems keener on pummeling the road and rebounding off it than engaging with it". Doesn't say whether DCC equipped though.
whatcar (DCC stated as fitted) : "In Comfort mode the suspension dissolves the extremes of potholes and motorway pimples alike. For cross-country comfort, it’s far nearer to the cushy Type R than the ever-agitated Renault Megane RS."
Are they driving the same car?

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #34 on: 23 March 2019, 21:17 »
If you look hard enough on the interweb, you can always find a review/opinion on something that tells you 'what you want to hear' - and also one that you don't want to hear. Car ride quality is definitely one of those and is very subjective.

I've driven a non DCC 7.5 GTI on 18" wheels and it was fine - the tartan seats very comfortable too. Am I'm extremely fussy about ride comfort. I'm currently driving a Fiesta ST-line and I find it comfortable for me but Whatcar says it is harsh.

Bottom line is you have to try for yourself. I've had test drives in a few GTI/GTDs on different size wheels and none are anywhere near as harsh as an A3 S line or 1 Series M Sport on standard wheels.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #35 on: 23 March 2019, 21:24 »
Oh dear! A TCR shaped spanner in the works.

I wonder if the TCR has the same springs as a Clubsport as the CS is definitely choppier than a regular GTI or R (I’ve owned examples of all three). The CS isn’t uncomfortable though, you’re just very aware of the road surface.
At the end of the day harsher springs are just that, no amount of softer damping will disguise it. In fact you need slightly firmer damping to control the undulations more, but it’s always going to be choppy.
My preference is always slightly softer springs and firm dampers which Peugeot used to be very good at.

Oh, FWIW, if it were my money I’d get a standard GTI with maybe Brescias (or just buy spacers or aftermarket 18’s) and climate screen (if the car was kept outside) with no other extras. The things are pretty loaded with extras now anyway and at the end of the model cycle so the less spent on extras is less depreciation.
Then buy black mirror covers.

Or a standard TCR.
Or an R for a few extra quid which is a much better all round car.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #36 on: 23 March 2019, 22:27 »
Oh dear! A TCR shaped spanner in the works.

I wonder if the TCR has the same springs as a Clubsport as the CS is definitely choppier than a regular GTI or R (I’ve owned examples of all three). The CS isn’t uncomfortable though, you’re just very aware of the road surface.
At the end of the day harsher springs are just that, no amount of softer damping will disguise it. In fact you need slightly firmer damping to control the undulations more, but it’s always going to be choppy.
My preference is always slightly softer springs and firm dampers which Peugeot used to be very good at.

Oh, FWIW, if it were my money I’d get a standard GTI with maybe Brescias (or just buy spacers or aftermarket 18’s) and climate screen (if the car was kept outside) with no other extras. The things are pretty loaded with extras now anyway and at the end of the model cycle so the less spent on extras is less depreciation.
Then buy black mirror covers.

Or a standard TCR.
Or an R for a few extra quid which is a much better all round car.

I don't think as it has the same suspension as the CS. Same as the GTI PP I think but 5mm shorter springs?
I may end up in a Mk8 R one day  :smiley:

I'm coming from a 10+ sec 0-60 car so the GTI PP  will still seem extremely quick to me and a big step up in performance. Also it leaves me room to move up again in the performance stakes if I feel the need with my next car.

I know the R is very highly rated but for me the GTI PP and TCR are light years ahead of the R in terms of styling and visual appeal. The R is just too much like a normal Golf for my taste.

It's actually the subtle styling tweaks on the TCR that appeal more than the extra performance.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 24 March 2019, 12:14 »
It’s been shared already but have a watch of the Autogefuhl review. What ever the suspension change is (5mm lower), it definitely sounds like it changes the car and makes it more track focused. Might be a big consideration if you are buying for looks rather than the essence of a supposed track orientated GTI.

https://youtu.be/HgO9gTVecKw
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey