Author Topic: White Golf Help/Advice Please?  (Read 5073 times)

Offline Tally Wacker

• Not said much yet
White Golf Help/Advice Please?
« on: 04 June 2019, 10:50 »
Ok, so I have a 67 Oryx White GTI.

Currently my cleaning routine is..
Snow Foam + Rinse
Wash with AG Bodywork Shampoo + Rinse + Dry
G3 Clay Mitt + Rinse
AG Magma + Rinse + Dry
AG SRP (by hand)
Bilt Hamber DSW
Raceglaze Wheel Sealant.

I find it really hard to see where the SRP & DSW are on the white surface & no matter how careful I am I always seem to leave some behind.

So any ideas on helping with that with different products maybe & any advice on improving my routine in general would be very welcome.

Cheers

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
Re: White Golf Help/Advice Please?
« Reply #1 on: 04 June 2019, 16:03 »
Unless you’re planning to machine polish then I would omit the clay mitt stage and include a tar removal stage using Autosmart Tardis or something similar. Claying will cause marring that you wouldn’t be able to fix by hand, you will just mask it using the SRP.

If you want the best life out of the DSW I would also omit the SRP stage and add in a panel wipe stage before applying DSW. However, if you’re happy with the longevity with DSW over SRP then leave it as it is.

Other than that it seems pretty good to me, my routine is as follows.

Clean wheels
Snow foam
Rinse
Shampoo car
Rinse & dry
Tar remover on car and alloys
Rinse
Fallout remover on car and alloys
Rinse
Shampoo car
Rinse and dry
Panel wipe
Apply wax/sealant to car
Apply wheel sealant

If I decide to machine polish then I would clay after the fallout remover and machine polish before the final panel wipe ready for applying my wax or sealant of choice.

This whole routine usually only gets done 1-2 times a year.

Offline Tally Wacker

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 04 June 2019, 16:43 »
Cheers mate. appreciate your help.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 04 June 2019, 18:23 »
I wouldn't bother with SRP. SRP has a mild cutting agent in it, so it's good for bringing paint back to life, but not as a regular application, it'll do more damage than good. As hog_hedge ays, omit the SRP and concentrate on the final waxing.

Too much drying also damages paintwork/surfaces, so try to bin one of the drying processes you do.

:)

SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Tally Wacker

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 04 June 2019, 18:42 »
Cheers guys.
If I dump the SRP is there something else I can/should use before the wax stage?
Thanks

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2019, 20:13 »
I wouldn't bother with SRP. SRP has a mild cutting agent in it, so it's good for bringing paint back to life, but not as a regular application, it'll do more damage than good. As hog_hedge ays, omit the SRP and concentrate on the final waxing.

Too much drying also damages paintwork/surfaces, so try to bin one of the drying processes you do.

Drying is the hidden hologram maker for paint that's for sure! I sheet as much water off with an open ended hose and pat the remaining drops dry. My neighbours think I'm nuts and I'm nowhere near as hardcore as some folks over on DW :laugh:

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 05 June 2019, 12:40 »

Drying is the hidden hologram maker for paint that's for sure! I sheet as much water off with an open ended hose and pat the remaining drops dry. My neighbours think I'm nuts and I'm nowhere near as hardcore as some folks over on DW :laugh:
I thoroughly recommend these for drying: https://amzn.to/2KBWF9x

They are huge (5sq ft!) and you can lay them out flat, they soak up 8x their weight in water(!) without any need to wipe or swipe creating spiderwebs/holograms. Cheap as chips too...  :smiley:
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 02 July 2019, 09:13 »
Ok, so I have a 67 Oryx White GTI.

Currently my cleaning routine is..
Snow Foam + Rinse
G3 Clay Mitt + Rinse
AG Magma + Rinse + Dry
AG SRP (by hand)
Bilt Hamber DSW
Raceglaze Wheel Sealant.

I find it really hard to see where the SRP & DSW are on the white surface & no matter how careful I am I always seem to leave some behind.

So any ideas on helping with that with different products maybe & any advice on improving my routine in general would be very welcome.

Cheers

When you say cleaning routine, how often are doing this lot?
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Tally Wacker

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 07 July 2019, 11:48 »
Sorry for delay

Doing this around every 2/3 months

Kit changed now..

Auto Finesse Citrus Power (Bug & Grime) + Rinse
Snow Foam + Rinse
G3 Clay Mitt + Rinse
Bilt Hamber Korrosol + Rinse + Dry
AG SRP (by hand)
AG Ultra HD Wax
Raceglaze Wheel Sealant.

Weekly...

Auto Finesse Citrus Power (Bug & Grime) + Rinse
Snow Foam + Rinse
Auto Finesse Finale QD
Raceglaze Wheel Sealant.

Cheers

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #9 on: 07 July 2019, 19:05 »
I like a nice wax or sealant on my oryx, really helps it to pop in the sun. When buffing just try to use the light to see where you haven't been. Maybe stand back a bit too and have a look around the car at the end, then just buff anything you've missed.
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints