Author Topic: Wheel whoolies damaging wheel?  (Read 2547 times)

Offline AmbushReality

• Not said much yet
Wheel whoolies damaging wheel?
« on: 09 February 2019, 13:15 »
Finally cleaned my car today after 5 weeks thanks to the dreadful weather we've had. Noticed some scratches on the barrel on the wheels (the basic 18" alloy option) on multiple wheels, I wondered how they've occured and if the wheel whoolie could have done it? Hopefully a picture will be attached to this post as well...

https://imgur.com/a/ebwBtif

Also, I had one wheel refurbished after kerbing it late last year. Looks to me like white worm has set in where the alloy was damaged? Will be taking it back to the place which did the refurb but would like your thoughts as well.

https://imgur.com/a/gqRoq5o

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Wheel whoolies damaging wheel?
« Reply #1 on: 09 February 2019, 17:19 »
I’d be quite surprised if your Wheel Woolies have inflicted scratches on the wheels, as they don’t have any exposed sharp parts. If they’re throughly cleaned after use to remove any embedded grit they might have picked up, there shouldn’t be any hidden ‘foreign bodies’ trapped in the fluffy heads to inflict damage next time they’re used either. I’ve been using mine for over three years now and have never had any issues with them inflicting scratches. I do make sure that I use plenty of washing and rinsing water with the Wheel Woolies, and I also make sure they’re thoroughly washed out after use in a bucket of clean water to remove any grit that might be trapped in the fluffy heads before squeezing and shaking out any surplus water and then leaving them to air dry.

I’d expect a reputable wheel refurb company to give a guarantee on their work, although with diamond cut wheels, some refurb companies may not provide as long a guarantee as they give on painted/powder coated wheels. Did you have the wheel fully refurbished or a SMART repair? From your picture, the finish on the surface of very edge of the rim where it meets the tyre looks a little rough and uneven - not smooth like the factory OEM finish would be or what you’d expect to see if the lip and, if necessary, the face of the wheel had been re-cut on a diamond cutting lathe as part of the refurbishment process. A diamond cut wheel that’s had a full, good quality refurb by a reputable company should be indistinguishable from a new wheel.

Certainly worth going back to whoever you used to refurbish the wheel.
« Last Edit: 11 February 2019, 22:55 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline AmbushReality

• Not said much yet
Re: Wheel whoolies damaging wheel?
« Reply #2 on: 17 February 2019, 19:20 »
They're always thoroughly washed off and rinsed throughout the cleaning process but maybe just not enough, I will have to rethink my cleaning methodology for the wheels... Any idea if I can do a paint repair myself on the wheels? I'm loathe to pay to fix it considering I'm not overly keen on them anyway.

Spoke to the company who will do a warranty repair on the wheel.