Author Topic: What's this valve on the exhaust  (Read 12065 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
What's this valve on the exhaust
« on: 02 March 2017, 07:56 »
Hi all. Was looking online at the aftermarket exhaust options for the MK7 GTD, in my search for "beefier" twin exhaust tips, and found myself on the "Supersprint" website. There they had a number of images under the car for a GTD fitted with the Sport and Sound pack (like mine). When looking I noticed on the front pipe (post DPF filter), there appears to be an electric valve.

On going some further searches it seems it's nothing to do with the S&S pack as the valve is even fitted it seems to the humble 1.6 TDI models. Anyone know what this valve is for please (just out of curiosity) ?

website link here

http://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/sport-exhaust-supersprint-for-vw-golf-vii-gtd-20-184-hp-2012.aspx
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
Re: What's this valve on the exhaust
« Reply #1 on: 02 March 2017, 08:38 »
It has a sensor going through the exhaust so could it be a temp sensor to check the exhaust is hot enough to dump the dpf filter?
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 02 March 2017, 09:56 »
Its the exhaust valve isn't it? Judging by the position of the object in the exhaust system I'd say.

The cable is for some sort of sensor probe, but the big pot thing its connected to is the exhaust valve.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 02 March 2017, 10:14 »
Exhaust valve for what Fred ?

I know that the "R" has a valve on the silencers to change the note of the exhaust in Race mode, but on the GTD, all the fake sound trickery is done by the speaker just in front of the rear axle.

If this is a valve of sorts, not just an exhaust sensor, then what does the valve control ? Does it limit flow though the exhaust during warm up or during a regen for example ? Looks a little big for just a sensor doesn't it ?

If you look at the close up below, it looks like it has a metal bellow which suggests it's a solenoid that moves in an out ?

[/url
« Last Edit: 02 March 2017, 10:20 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 02 March 2017, 10:30 »
Edit... no, its the exhaust throttle valve:

« Last Edit: 02 March 2017, 10:33 by fredgroves »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 02 March 2017, 10:44 »
Thanks Fred, Just found this - mystery solved

the exhaust flap control unit has a throttle valve with an electric motor drive located downstream of the diesel particulate filter. The exhaust flap control unit can slow exhaust gas flow, helping to regulate EGR. The exhaust flap control unit is actuated by the ECM

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 02 March 2017, 11:05 »
Yes part of the egr system that came in with euro 5