Author Topic: Your opinion please  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Gozza

• I live here
Your opinion please
« on: 09 January 2010, 13:11 »
Hey all,

I recently (as in Monday just gone) paid £310 odd to have a cambelt kit change, metal waterpump, oil and filter change.

Now I decided to have a look at what had been done today and attach a picture of the "new" cambelt below.

In my opinion this looks as though it has not been changed ?? You can still see the same crackingon the belt !!!

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
Re: Your opinion please
« Reply #1 on: 09 January 2010, 13:13 »
that's the auxiliary belt mate...

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline Gozza

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 09 January 2010, 13:16 »
Ah  :grin:

Where ths cambelt then ?? Also should this belt be changed with the cambelt ?

Ta

Offline Philpy

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 09 January 2010, 13:18 »
Yeah thats not the cambelt!  :grin:

Although they would of had to take it off to replace the cambelt, so I would of thought they would of changed it whilst in there.  :huh:

Offline Gozza

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2010, 13:22 »
Does not surprise me they are chimps.

Would this cause any damage if it goes ? Also how much to buy one of these ?

:wink:

Offline turboben

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 09 January 2010, 13:28 »
they would not of replaced that belt if it goes in for a cam belt you get a cam belt and maybe tensioners not a auxillary belt, if it needed doing they proberly would of advised you get it done but would of not come in with the price

i cant remember the last time i payed to have work done on my car (i used to be a mechanic and my best mate runs his own garage so free labour and cheap parts)but £310 for a cambelt water pump and service sounds good to me

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2010, 13:29 »
it runs your power steering, alternator and A/C

depends what you asked for when they did the cambelt/service...

also as ben said did you have the tensioner done at the same time as the belt as that bumps the price up a bit

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline Gozza

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 09 January 2010, 13:39 »
Well I asked for an oil/filter service, cambelt kit with original parts inc damper and a metal water pump change. He is a mechanic all the family use so I think he did it a little cheaper. I did not think it was a bad price so long as it was all done. Whats the easiest way to check people ? also is the aux belt hard to change ?

Thanks all

Offline Dub-77

• I live here
  • Dub again MK1 Golf Project
« Reply #8 on: 09 January 2010, 13:43 »
Well I asked for an oil/filter service, cambelt kit with original parts inc damper and a metal water pump change. He is a mechanic all the family use so I think he did it a little cheaper. I did not think it was a bad price so long as it was all done. Whats the easiest way to check people ? also is the aux belt hard to change ?

Thanks all
no it's easy mate but I'm a mechanic. Depends on how you are around an engine ??
Show me a man with a tattoo and i'll show you a man with an interesting past :wink:

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #9 on: 09 January 2010, 13:45 »
that price is good then mate. £15 should see you a belt