Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529931 times)

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #460 on: 25 March 2016, 21:04 »
Car had a treat today for getting 3/4 of the way to 100k  :laugh: Full inside and out clean, looking much better!

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #461 on: 25 March 2016, 21:26 »
Looking really good there seabrook, lovely job! :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #462 on: 25 March 2016, 21:38 »
I had a bit of a nightmare claying my car today. A combination of the sun beating down and dodo juice 'born slippy' was making a right old mess. I think the clay mitt is the way forward. I believe you use one Rebecca, how do u find it?

I love clay mitts and the are perfect for new cars.  For a used car or a car that's not been flayed ever, or for a while, a traditional clay bar may be required, but for a new or looked after car, a clay mitt is the way forward.

Have a read of this thread kalimon. It relates to the WoWo clay mitt which is what I would recommend.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=276259.0
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #463 on: 25 March 2016, 21:38 »
Car had a treat today for getting 3/4 of the way to 100k  :laugh: Full inside and out clean, looking much better!

You've excelled yourself Dan.  A stunner.  :cool:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #464 on: 26 March 2016, 18:15 »
Well, yesterday. Posted some photos of a funny shaped Golf here.
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=276899.0
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline jimmydub

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #465 on: 27 March 2016, 18:41 »
excuse my ignorance but whats this disconnecting the hose from pressure washer all about?

Two main reasons.  After washing the car, the final rinse should be done with an open ended hose rather than a spray (jet washer or hose spray head).  So you need to disconnect the hose from the pressure washer, and remove the stop connecter (if using one) to get a non spray flow of water from the hose.

The reasons the final rinse should be with an open ended hose is, working from the top of the car down, open ended rinsing allows the water to 'sheet' off the car, thus reducing the amount of standing water left on the car so that

1) less water to dry of with a MF towel - which reduces the need for towel contact and,

2) less standing water reduces the risk of water spots forming. 

Water spots not an issue if you have very soft water or use a water filter attached to your hose (as I do) but for those in hard water areas without a filter, if there is a lot of water left on the car after the rinse, water spots can form very quickly, (quicker than you can get round with a drying towel) especially if the car is in the sun, and they can be very, very difficult to remove, sometimes having to be polished out with a DA.  Using a spray-on rinse aid at the final rinse can help, but the best way to leave the minimum water on the car is an open ended hose rinse.  A final rinse with a spray or pressure washer lance leaves lots of water droplets on the car, each one a potential future water spot!  There are products to remove water spots such as CarPro Eraser but their effectiveness is questionable so best to avoid getting water spots in the first place.

Equally important - less standing water on the car after rinsing equals less towel drying which means less 'contact' with the paintwork, so less risk of swirls and marring.

That's the full on  OCD reason that disconnecting the hose from the PW is important.  Bet you wish you'd never asked.  :grin:

Great response! Appreciate you taking the time to write it!

Now you've said it, of course it makes perfect sense. I must admit I rinse with the pressure washer after each step i.e. soap the roof, then rinse, soap pillars and glass, then rinse etc.. working my way down to lowest points. I then usually rinse the entire car again at the end. Not sure if it needs to be done so much but I do it for the exact reason you describe - to avoid water sitting and leaving spots! I guess I'll switch up my method a bit and go for the open ended rinse!

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: 27 March 2016, 18:43 by jimmydub »

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #466 on: 28 March 2016, 16:43 »
Well after some idiot woman put a dent and chip on the rear door this morning, I consoled myself by cleaning it!

Then I had to go out and it started pouring down so now it looks like this again.  :cry:

« Last Edit: 28 March 2016, 17:52 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #467 on: 28 March 2016, 17:08 »
Dave, your thing about making an attachment to save you turning off the tap may sound ridiculous, but I have been meaning to do the exact same thing! Great minds obviously think alike :whistle:
Every second counts :laugh:

here's what I made...

Simple but a good time-saver!

Many thanks for this great tip Dave.  I found one of those little connectors to click into the stop connector in my shed and voila!  Instant open ended hose without having to turn the tap off or tread on the hosepipe.  Cheers for that tip.  :smiley:

2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #468 on: 31 March 2016, 15:34 »
Took my wheels off today and cleaned them with Bilberry wheel cleaner, gave them a thorough dry off and applied a coat of C2v3.
They cleaned really easily due to having only done 250 miles since new :grin:
Gave the brake calipers a clean and polish while I was at it.
Ran out of time so will apply Achem tyre finish at the weekend :smiley:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #469 on: 31 March 2016, 21:54 »
I have the pleasure of a black mk5 GTi this weekend, which has already been washed. Wheels have come up pretty well and the paint actually feels pretty tidy too so tomorrow night will be clay, then polish Saturday. The main party will be trim dressing, interior and under the bonnet needs a good clean.

Pics/vid to follow.

Cheers

Neil