Author Topic: How To Fit "Lights Left On" Relay.... OEM Look!!!!  (Read 42436 times)

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
How To Fit "Lights Left On" Relay.... OEM Look!!!!
« on: 15 August 2010, 16:29 »
How to fit a Buzzer relay with OEM Mount to a late 92 GTI With CE2 Fuse box..

Quick Fit Wiring Note;
When Using Relay No 292 With Seat Relay Holder. Gives Of an Alternating Buzzer Sound!

Door Contact Switch Mk2 Brown White - Brown Red on Relay Holder To Relay Pin 85. Earth.

Rear Lights - Wires Grey Red (F/B Pin K2) & Grey Black (F/B Pin K3) to Relay Pins 58 L & R. Live.

Black Yellow on Relay Holder To Relay Pin 86. Don't Connect.

Update According To RJ - the extra pin should be live when the key is in the ignition, i.e. the buzzer only goes off with door open and ignition switched off. This is so if you sit there with lights on and ign off, you don't get annoyed by a buzzer when someone gets in/out

1st I picked this Seat no 292 Buzzer Relay up from my Local Scrappy.. This Relay has A 2 tone sound... The VW No36 Relay has the same pin number & layout so may work will test one... But this is a single tone sound and does not come with the relay mount... Yes It Does Work!!

Disconnect the Battery Before Starting...

Remove the driver’s side under tray - Just undo 5 screws...

Fuse box should look like this...

Remove fuse box by twisting the white peg on the left hand side round to the front and pull it off.. Then Flex out the left side bracket to release the top locking pin..

Should now look something like this...

Twist it upside down

Locate the black wire block K 1st (Rear Wiring Harness) on the Right... Push the black bit between the wire harness to be able to release the blocks.. It's like a Child Proof Lock and stops the blocks working loose...

Now Sctochlock the Grey/Red Wire (K2 Pin – Rear Parking Lights) to the matching wire on the Relay holder or pin 58 on the relay. Do the same with the Grey/Black Wire (K3 Pin – Rear Parking Lights), Same pin no 58 on the relay.

Now find the White/Brown wire that connects to the driver's door interior light switch... I took the door switch off and traced the wire by pulling it to see which moved next to the door wiring... Connect to Pin No 85 On the relay.

Clip in the relay and attach the mount to the top of the fuse box...

Job Done.....

But it all back together in reverse order...

Footnote...
I know this relay has 4 pins and according to the wiring diagram for the No36 relay you need a switched live From Block H1 to pin 86.

RJ Says This About This Pin.... The extra pin should be live when the key is in the ignition, i.e. the buzzer only goes off with door open and key out of ignition. this is so if you sit there with lights on and ign off, you don't get annoyed by a buzzer when someone gets in/out

Took me an hour to find/sort this out....

« Last Edit: 07 November 2010, 15:08 by X4MGS »

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: How To Fit "Lights Left On" Relay.... OEM Look!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2010, 09:45 »
Good writeup :afro:

Only advice I would give is to not use scotch locks.

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2010, 10:08 »
Good Point..

Now that I know it works I will look at soldering the wires in next time I have the cover off!

I meant to put a note about that in the write up...  :smug:

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #3 on: 16 August 2010, 13:18 »
the extra pin should be live when the key is in the ignition, i.e. the buzzer only goes off with door open and key out of ignition. this is so if you sit there with lights on and ign off, you don't get annoyed by a buzzer when someone gets in/out
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #4 on: 18 August 2010, 02:16 »
After a number of conversations with the Legend That is RJ!!

Here is an update on how to wire up the CE2 Fusebox to make use of the Spare No 9 Relay slot which either the No 36 or No 292 relay will plug into..

You will have to then splice into the K plug - pins 2 & 3 to loop over the input to Socket L - pins 3 & 4, then run a wire from the door switch to Socket L - pin 1....

Like this

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #5 on: 18 August 2010, 09:09 »
Awesome, scrappy here i come!

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline dadrathers

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 29 October 2010, 22:02 »
Good write up - pretty much exactly how I did it with a two tone buzzer for £3 (ish) off e-bay.

I also used scotch locks - why is there such a downer on these - they are a panacea in the caravan industry????

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #7 on: 29 October 2010, 22:17 »
 :cool:

Think it has to do with them "Spliting" the orginal wire that can break and short out over the years...

Good write up - pretty much exactly how I did it with a two tone buzzer for £3 (ish) off e-bay.

I also used scotch locks - why is there such a downer on these - they are a panacea in the caravan industry????

Offline dadrathers

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 30 October 2010, 21:35 »
OK I can understand that although the crimps in scotch lock (if you select the correct size) are just meant to cut the insulation not sever the wires - BUT they still might be preferable cos' you aint' seen my soldering???

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #9 on: 19 November 2010, 10:33 »
heres a diagram of how the mk3 relay is wired in:

TV17 is your door pin earth
D/SU is ignition pin S or SU (key in ignition live)
M2 and M4 are rear light wires

when I do this kind of thing, I strip 4mm or so of insulation from the wire carefully, but without chopping. Then i wrap the end of the wire i want to splice in around the bared part, and drop a bit of solder in there to hold together, tape up and you're done.
the even more poncy way to do it is to get some 'junior timer' pins, chop the old pin off and crimp the old wire plus wire you want to add into the new pin. you need proper crimping tool to do this properly, plus a tool to remove the old pin from the fusebox plug.

hope that helps :)
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.