Author Topic: Android auto and spotify  (Read 3372 times)

Offline Phuture

• Not said much yet
Android auto and spotify
« on: 15 June 2019, 11:07 »
Picked up the new car yesterday and spending time this weekend getting to know all the tech and controls.

I'm using spotify via USB and android auto.

I cant find a way to fast forward or rewind the track that's playing? Either via the steering wheel or the main screen. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, when playing a track from a playlist, is there a way to then go back and scroll through the playlist? Seems to always go back to the main spotify menu meaning you need to find the playlist again, then scroll all the way back down to the track u was last at. Bit of a ballache it seemed.

Cheers!

Offline Phuture

• Not said much yet
Re: Android auto and spotify
« Reply #1 on: 16 June 2019, 14:43 »
So after some reading and research it seems that as a safety feature, android auto will only allow you to see the next 10 tracks in a playlist, what!

Offline agentutah

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 16 June 2019, 19:18 »
Hi, I got mine last week. Still trying to suss out the android auto myself. I've an Xperia phone and vw cable, been a bit temperamental connecting it to th infotainment system each time I get in the car. I have been using my stock app on the phone rather than Spotify and it has been fine so far so can't really comment on Spotify sorry!  It seems easy enough to navigate the Artist's and playlists i have stored, only thing I couldn't see was a shuffle songs option on playlists. Further practice needed. I think there is a new android auto on its way so let's hope that's an improved version 👍😀

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 17 June 2019, 09:28 »
So after some reading and research it seems that as a safety feature, android auto will only allow you to see the next 10 tracks in a playlist, what!

You might be able to see more if the car is stationary. AA knows if you're moving or not, and removes some limits such as the "focus on the road" message.

Not sure if FF/RW work at all, can't say I've ever tried it

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 17 June 2019, 10:57 »
There are all sorts of safety limits imposed by Google for AA apps.

Some types of app its not a problem, but the ones where it tries to display a large list of things can be really annoying. iPlayer is one that I encounter, as is TuneIn radio. My favourites lists are impossible to navigate while moving, you have to stop the vehicle or be moaned at.

I can't see any newer versions of AA offering much different...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Phuture

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 17 June 2019, 11:12 »
Yeah I fear even the new version of AA coming this summer will still have the issues. Totally unusable for me with spotify.

Can anyone confirm if you can do it with CarPlay, and whether you can FF tracks using the steering wheel or even on the main screen?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Phuture

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 17 June 2019, 17:12 »
Thanks Fred, will take a look at that.

Mad tho, at the very least id expect to have like a slider on screen to move the track along, or be able to do it by holding the prev/next button on the steering wheel. Seems like a crazy UX decision.

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 17 June 2019, 17:27 »

Mad tho, at the very least id expect to have like a slider on screen to move the track along, or be able to do it by holding the prev/next button on the steering wheel. Seems like a crazy UX decision.

Another annoyance is not having time elapsed/remaining... it's there on bluetooth!

I tend to use Android Auto but I will have a look at Carplay for ffwd etc on my way home.
GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190

Offline agentutah

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 17 June 2019, 18:49 »

On mine with android auto running, I can skip the tracks and FF/RW using the steering wheel controls