Author Topic: MK 7.5?  (Read 4799 times)

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
Re: MK 7.5?
« Reply #10 on: 13 June 2019, 20:19 »
Not had a car with AID but seen quite a few. My only gripe with the AID on the Golf is that the shape of it just makes it look a bit fisher price - in comparison to (for instance) the AID in an S3. Although it's better than what appears to be the 80s "slab" in the Merc A class.

I'd still rather have the Golf AID over my analogue dials though.
i was fitting out a new A6 the other day and the virtual dash now looks like the VW dash (not the AID fitted into the 7.5 but the new polo I think, )

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 14 June 2019, 09:20 »
When I was looking to buy used mk7.5 they were all with AID so there was no choice but if I could choose then I would go for analogue. Looks better to me personally

It's standard with the Mk7.5, that's why you wouldn't be able to find one without. I am of course assuming you were looking at GTIs

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #12 on: 14 June 2019, 12:13 »
When I was looking to buy used mk7.5 they were all with AID so there was no choice but if I could choose then I would go for analogue.

You can chose (or at least could initially) for a free AID delete. I'm not sure if anyone ever did.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 14 June 2019, 13:31 »
Totally disagree about analogue dials being better than digital.
The argument really is redundant as to what does or does not look better because a new car with an old analogue display just looks so dated now.
I doubt you could even spec a new car above a certain price point with the old analogue dials.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 14 June 2019, 14:26 »
I had a 14 plate Mk7 and now have a 17 plate Mk7.5. Both had/have navpro.

Mk7.5 is a serious step up in data presentation and ease of use. Sorry, it just is.

That's speaking as someone who spends a lot of time in the car, driving it.

If you want a negative - on the Mk7.5 navpro, the gesture control is sh!te and changing gear messes with the audio. Turned it off after about an hour of use, happy since then.... well, except for my ocd with cleaning the huge touch screen with a micro fibre cloth every time I stop!

Agree with the step up in tech over pre-facelift MK7. Comparing my 2015 Golf R (now sold) to our 2 Polo GTI+ , the instrumentation and infotainment system look prehistoric in the pre-facelift R.

The new system in the Polo is massively more responsive on the touch screen too.

The Virtual dash is not without its issues though - I had a bout of black screen on 50% of my ignition cycles until a software update fixed it under warranty.

I thought I'd prefer analogue to digital, but I really don't.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 14 June 2019, 14:32 »
Totally disagree about analogue dials being better than digital.
The argument really is redundant as to what does or does not look better because a new car with an old analogue display just looks so dated now.
I doubt you could even spec a new car above a certain price point with the old analogue dials.

I don't think anyone has claimed that analogue dials are better than digital other than in an aesthetic way. My preference is analogue in the same way I'm not keen on a digital watch. But, when it comes to changing my car there is unlikely to be much choice in the matter and ultimately I'll choose the car I like regardless of the dashboard instruments.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 14 June 2019, 16:33 »
The AID in the 7.5 has incredibly bland dials.
The Polo GTI has it right so VW can do it.
Having said that the analogue dials in all the pre facelift Golfs aside from the R were bland too. The Ed40 dials just about passable and the R dials were beautiful. The rest... meh. Clear but totally devoid of character. Other marques do it better right now. 
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 15 June 2019, 07:49 »
Having said that the analogue dials in all the pre facelift Golfs aside from the R were bland too. The Ed40 dials just about passable and the R dials were beautiful. The rest... meh. Clear but totally devoid of character. Other marques do it better right now.

Agree - I really miss my mk5 GTI's dials and blue lighting.  :sad:
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline daviescotland

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 15 June 2019, 11:50 »

Agree - I really miss my mk5 GTI's dials and blue lighting.  :sad:

Agreed, VW had it 100% with the blue dials!!I miss them too!
MK6 GTI, 3 door, candy white, 18" monza shadow, Xenons, RCD 510 w "dynaudio", sunroof, rear view camera, cruise control & free servicing.
Ordered 28/10/2009. BW07 confirmed. production complete 10/02/2010. Arrived at dealers 17/02/2010. Driving on a 10 plate 01/03/2010.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 15 June 2019, 12:28 »
Loved the blue dials in my mk4 and mk5 Golfs - the mk4 in particular which had quite a premium feeling interior, so made it feel quite a special place to be - especially coming from a 1990’s Vauxhall! :grin:

I think the blue dials would be quite a dated look in a modern VW though.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl