Author Topic: Golf GTI MK7.5 Performance vs SEAT leon cupra 300  (Read 7175 times)

Offline carbonevo

• Just got here
Re: Golf GTI MK7.5 Performance vs SEAT leon cupra 300
« Reply #10 on: 13 June 2019, 14:35 »
Im frankly trying to get the "assurance" that I won't regret later not buying a faster car given I had an opportunity to buy the faster cupra

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 13 June 2019, 15:01 »
Im frankly trying to get the "assurance" that I won't regret later not buying a faster car given I had an opportunity to buy the faster cupra

If that was the case, why not buy an R, that's faster than either of the two you are looking at and could probably be had for similar money? And the answer is because you don't really want the fastest car, you want the best car for you and speed isn't your top priority or you wouldn't be asking. The vast majority of the time you'll be in traffic or stuck on roads with speed controls. That's when ergonomics and comfort comes in and you've said you far preferred the Golf interior. No one can help you with the assurance you seek, that's for you to resolve. Go and look at them both again and see which you prefer sitting in, then you'll know.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 13 June 2019, 15:08 »
Cheers guys, really appreciate your comments!

In general, how quick do you see the golf? I am aware it's not the hottest hot hatch out there but coming from a 2008 lexus IS250 the golf seemed really really quick, the cupra was quicker but it struggled to put down the power.

My view, having never had a hot hatch before and now had a 230 7.5 and the 245 version, it's as quick as you really need a hot hatch to be. Plus, it's a Golf. So you can look sensible driving it.

They do struggle for initial traction, but once going and on the right road, they are quick. I've had a run out with a mate in a GT4 and real world, in slightly colder temps, on twisty roads, there isn't much between them.

I also did a trip to the Brecons last year with some friends - a 991 4GTS, XKR, new RS6 and 996 C2 and wasn't many times when mine wasn't fast enough. On one particular road, me and the mate in the GTS got ahead of some other traffic and had 2-3 miles of amazing twists and turns. The GTi was in its element, TC off, manual mode and properly going for it. When we stopped he said he was sticking with me but that was all... He couldn't have gone any faster :smiley:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 13 June 2019, 16:28 »

If that was the case, why not buy an R, that's faster than either of the two you are looking at and could probably be had for similar money? And the answer is because you don't really want the fastest car, you want the best car for you and speed isn't your top priority or you wouldn't be asking. The vast majority of the time you'll be in traffic or stuck on roads with speed controls. That's when ergonomics and comfort comes in and you've said you far preferred the Golf interior. No one can help you with the assurance you seek, that's for you to resolve. Go and look at them both again and see which you prefer sitting in, then you'll know.
considering the Leon will be lighter than an R I would think when driving on the open road it will be quicker than the R. The only area where the R will be better is pulling away.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 13 June 2019, 16:40 »
Golf R isn’t quicker than a cupra unless it’s wet or it’s from a standing start as said. Same power and 100kg lighter

Golf GTI Clubsport S #237 Tornado red
Golf GTI 7.5 230 white silver

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 13 June 2019, 17:28 »
Golf R isn’t quicker than a cupra unless it’s wet or it’s from a standing start as said. Same power and 100kg lighter

Yeah, but...

... it's not a Golf

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 13 June 2019, 18:30 »
Who cares 🤷‍♂️
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 13 June 2019, 19:22 »

Wet in this country is pretty often! The R is a quicker car in many ways which is indisputable.

Anyway, my point was that the OP is clearly not totally focussed on the 'fastest' car, I was just trying to help with that point. I'll get back in my box and batten down the hatches before I get beaten to death by pedantry. :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 13 June 2019, 19:32 »
Wasn’t me that brought up which car is fastest. I’m of the belief that faster doesn’t necessarily mean better so it’s irrelevant to me which is faster but since other people were discussing which one was, I thought I’d give my view that once rolling the cupra is quicker
Golf GTI Clubsport S #237 Tornado red
Golf GTI 7.5 230 white silver

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 13 June 2019, 19:39 »
When I had my GTI PP a friend of mine nabbed a cheap lease on one of the early Leon 280 Cupras back in 2014.
Side by side they were able to score points off each other in various areas.
Without going into finite details, at the time the Leon easily won the spec check sheet with standard DCC, 19” wheels, Nav and so on.

The Golf edged it in looks arguably, although the grey/white paint of the Leon looked amazing at sunset.

Interior wise the “premium” feel of the Golf was an easy win but the Leon wasn’t bad by any stretch of the imagination. It was more a case of the little details on the Golf being that much nicer. Brand hierarchy and all that.
The Nav screen on the Leon was more sensibly placed to be able to glance at it on the move.
The Leon arguably had nicer dials.

Handling and ride much of a muchness and performance was a win to the Leon but not as much as you might expect with a 50PS advantage. It just felt more eager.
Economy was won by the Golf, but only just.

This was putting the two cars back to back a few times on public roads, keeping speeds sensible, staying away from traffic and bad weather.

Going by the deals in post #1 I’d take the Golf.
However I’d probably not do either of those things.

As for the Golf R vs. Leon.
There’s little in it.
I spent 18 months in an R, drove a Leon Cupra a few times and have had a Clubsport for over two years.
Unless getting a perfect launch an R can bog down just as easily as a GTI can wheelspin.
I thought it might be the preserve of my crap driving and my manual R but I was following a black 19 plate R which I’ll assume is DSG yesterday evening through a sequence of traffic lights near IKEA  in Exeter.
I was surprised to see the R bog down a bit quite visibly as it was powered away from the lights. However on a rolling start it was very rapid! Sounded good too  :cool:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner