Author Topic: New Gti advice.  (Read 5858 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: New Gti advice.
« Reply #10 on: 08 June 2019, 09:09 »
The GTi is a good allround package of accessible performance and practicality.
I run 18" PS4 on standard suspension, I enjoy the firmness of the suspension and put up with the tyre noise, it gives the feeling of connection to the road which I value.

It is not bad, but refinement in terms of road noise is not one of it's outstanding features, as in there are more refined cars on the market.

After a test drive, maybe the overall package of the Gti will shine through over the odd bump and thump from tyres.
the michelins are a noisy tyre and are no quieter than the factory Bridgestones. I think Dunlop do the quietest tyre.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Online clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 08 June 2019, 09:18 »
I run 18" PS4 on standard suspension, I enjoy the firmness of the suspension and put up with the tyre noise, it gives the feeling of connection to the road which I value.

It is not bad, but refinement in terms of road noise is not one of it's outstanding features, as in there are more refined cars on the market.

After a test drive, maybe the overall package of the Gti will shine through over the odd bump and thump from tyres.
the michelins are a noisy tyre and are no quieter than the factory Bridgestones. I think Dunlop do the quietest tyre.

Sure, but the PS4 fit the character of the GTi and in my opinion outperform the standard Bridgestone's.
A regular Golf match on Dunlop tyres may be more refined than a GTi, but that's not part of the GTi experience, which I was trying to get across.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 08 June 2019, 09:27 »
Yes, I agree with clubsport. This is a hot hatch, if refinement ( and particularly road noise) are top priority you may be better served by something else.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Zan

• Not said much yet
  • MK 7.5 GTi PP>Now MK 8 R-Line 150
« Reply #13 on: 08 June 2019, 12:56 »
You won't go wrong with a GTi tbh as I switched from an Audi S1 and the only thing I miss is the awd.
I was lucky as I bought mine 2nd hand from VW and it has pretty much the spec I would have had if going new again (19" Santaigo's, DCC, DSG, Dynaudio, satnav etc). The only issue I have is that it has developed an annoying rattle from somewhere on the front passenger side on rough roads which tbh is my daily commute but other than that it is a good all round package.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 08 June 2019, 14:07 »

Sure, but the PS4 fit the character of the GTi and in my opinion outperform the standard Bridgestone's.
A regular Golf match on Dunlop tyres may be more refined than a GTi, but that's not part of the GTi experience, which I was trying to get across.
The standard Bridgestones in the summer are actually very good, it's just when the temperatures drop they take ages to warm up and people don't adjust the driving style for the conditions and then complain. I actually hated the Michelin PS4'S when I first got them and still can't work out what the best pressure for them is. It definitely isn't the same as the S001s 🤷‍♂️

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 08 June 2019, 15:07 »
You won't go wrong with a GTi tbh as I switched from an Audi S1 and the only thing I miss is the awd.
I was lucky as I bought mine 2nd hand from VW and it has pretty much the spec I would have had if going new again (19" Santaigo's, DCC, DSG, Dynaudio, satnav etc). The only issue I have is that it has developed an annoying rattle from somewhere on the front passenger side on rough roads which tbh is my daily commute but other than that it is a good all round package.

Open the passenger sun visor and see if it stops no matter where you think the noise is coming from. It's a common problem. Mine did it and although not ideal, a folded tissue between the visor and the headliner has sorted it...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline IamLee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 08 June 2019, 17:04 »
Re your annoying rattle, also try getting some appropriate lube into the channel where the top of the glass disappears - top right hand corner of the door as you’re looking at it from outside the car.
2019 7.5 PP DSG GTi Issac, graphite seville, pan roof, dynaudio, tints, camera, lane assist, keyless

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 08 June 2019, 18:43 »
Try the black plastic cap behind the rear view mirror. Mine rattled for months until I realised it hadn't been fitted properly.

Offline Zan

• Not said much yet
  • MK 7.5 GTi PP>Now MK 8 R-Line 150
« Reply #18 on: 09 June 2019, 17:38 »
Thanks for the possible rattle solutions and i'll check them out ....it has been driving me nuts trying to find where it's coming from.

Offline Mavericktom

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 10 June 2019, 19:51 »
Thanks for all the advice re the car. 

I took it for a test drive.  Long story short.  I pick it up next week.

Great drive.  Smooth, comfortable and quick.

Can’t wait.