Author Topic: CarPlay changes coming with iOS 13  (Read 3263 times)

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
Re: CarPlay changes coming with iOS 13
« Reply #10 on: 08 June 2019, 19:09 »
You can get wireless CarPlay on some top end Audis. Here’s the list of all cars which support it.

https://www.carplaylife.com/feature/how-to-make-apple-carplay-wireless/
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 09 June 2019, 17:48 »
Of course there is a wifi mac address! A mac address is the hardware address of a network card...The 7.5 mib has both a wireless client (connects to carnet using a hotspot on your phone) and a wireless server (allowing occupants to connect to it and share the internet connection of the phone thats connected with the wireless client).

What it doesn't have is the software to make it work - the ACP code on the mib needs updating to a newer one. This sort of enhancement is well beyond VAG's desire to implement. You want some new features on your utterly reprogrammable unix based MIB unit? Yes sir, thats available in the Mk8 Golf, coming soon.

I've said it numerous times before, its like Xbox offering a new game, but only if you buy another xbox to run it on, only a hundred times more expensive.

Its about time car manufacturers actually embraced the world of software. Even getting to last century would be great, let alone dev ops!
Not on the 7's MIB2 there wasn't (see the blank space above the Bluetooth MAC address)...

I'm fairly sure MIB3 has a MAC address, especially MY19 cars which now have the built in eSIM, and given the AppConnect software is the same across VAG cars then wireless support will probably be coded out where it's not offered so it should, in theory, be an easy reactivation.  :huh:
« Last Edit: 09 June 2019, 17:51 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #12 on: 09 June 2019, 18:25 »
No idea why they didn't write it down... fundamentally, you cannot have a wifi interface with no MAC address. Its just not possible.

Its a bit like saying that your car has no wheels yet still is a car.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 09 June 2019, 19:15 »
No idea why they didn't write it down... fundamentally, you cannot have a wifi interface with no MAC address. Its just not possible.

Its a bit like saying that your car has no wheels yet still is a car.
I know, that’s my point... the 7 didn’t have WiFi functionality, the 7.5 likely does (but we don’t know 100% for sure yet but it’s highly likely), so if it does then it means Wireless CarPlay is possible in the 7.5 if the software is there...
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #14 on: 10 June 2019, 09:45 »
Of course the 7.5 has wifi! My 17 plate GTD has wifi - it can (and does) connect to a wifi hotspot (to use carnet) and also has its own hotspot to connect passengers for internet sharing.

It definitely has wifi hardware on the mib unit.

As I said earlier, what it doesn't have is the software on the MIB for wireless ACP/AA, but its a unix platform and as such is perfectly capable of having pretty much any functionality they decide to write for it. Its not restricted in any way.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 10 June 2019, 10:00 »
With all the talk of MY20 upgrades this would be a nice one (and would guess easy) for VW to do.
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass