Author Topic: 46 MPG.  (Read 13836 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: 46 MPG.
« Reply #30 on: 16 June 2019, 12:42 »
The most effective way to save fuel is:

- Don’t floor the throttle, use light presses.
- Anticipate the road ahead to avoid heavy braking - where possible just lift off and coast, only using the brake to come to a full stop.
- When cruising ease off the throttle a little - you can do this without losing momentum or speed.
- Try and drive at a constant speed and close enough to the car in front that other cars can’t pull out of junctions in front of you causing you to slow down and build momentum again.
- Lift off the throttle when coasting down hill. Just dab the throttle occasionally to keep momentum.

If you have the active dials set to show Efficiency and Range, the dial on the left showing MPG has a red bar going around the dial. This shows how efficiently you’re driving. Similar to the Think Blue function.

Of course driving like this kind of defeats the purpose of owning a GTI but if you’re stuck on a single carriage A road with zero chance of over-taking then you may as well save some fuel and play the MPG challenge to relieve the boredom!

All really good points.  :smiley:

I’ve taken somewhat of a back seat now but was involved for a while with professional (commercial) driver training and I work alongside programs that monitor commercial driver performance. I’m not a big fan of the latter spy in the cab software by any means but it’s here to stay and on the increase in many stealthy ways. Just wait until we are all in mk8’s and VW is watching everything we do...

One thing that will probably be familiar to advanced drivers is setting yourself a challenge to not come to a complete stop (aside from junctions where it’s impossible or illegal not to!) including traffic lights, plus attempting to use the brakes as little as possible to maintain momentum.
The latter I’m very good at as I spent much of my young driving life with VW’s that had intricate BBS wheels that had to be cleaned with a toothbrush. If that doesn’t make you hate cleaning wheels and keep brake dust to a minimum then nothing will! 

As in Mutleys post above, driving is all about anticipation which has the side benefit of being lighter on the wallet!
I know there are those that decry driving performance Golfs and focusing on fuel economy but at the end of the day these are Golfs and therefore should have a decent blend of abilities for everyday use.
Those that don’t care obviously either don’t pay for their own fuel or have stratospheric household salaries. Plus there’s the aspect of resources and future generations. Blah blah blah, yawn. 
Golf GTI’s are remarkably good on fuel owing to light(ish) weight coupled with an immensely flexible and tractable engine. It’s easy to waft along on the torque feathering the throttle and still maintaining quite quick progress in comfort with a fantastic chassis that is hard to upset.
As Mutley said, when it’s not possible to be racing around due to the roads and/or conditions it’s good to set other challenges to alleviate the boredom and keep concentration levels high.

Christ that was a boring post. I can’t believe I just wrote that.
I now feel the desire to hit the tarmac using overboost at every opportunity to get it out of my system!
Except it’s a Sunday in the West Country and the roads will be clogged with the predictable hordes... I’ll stay home instead.   
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #31 on: 17 June 2019, 09:20 »
With my short journeys, depending on traffic, I normally get about 18-26mpg.

However, a 70-mile-ish journey yesterday saw an average of over 40mpg, I was very proud of my little car when I got out!

Offline DTX3

• Not said much yet
« Reply #32 on: 17 June 2019, 10:48 »

If you have the active dials set to show Efficiency and Range, the dial on the left showing MPG has a red bar going around the dial. This shows how efficiently you’re driving. Similar to the Think Blue function.

Always wondered what that red bar was going up and down. Now I know!

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #33 on: 01 July 2019, 18:59 »
Pretty good going! Any advances on 48.8?
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #34 on: 01 July 2019, 19:20 »
It was a year or two ago but..

2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #35 on: 01 July 2019, 19:22 »
I’m equally impressed you managed to drive the best part of an hour and average 50mph.  Midnight on an empty motorway, with a gentle downhill gradient?  :huh:
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #36 on: 01 July 2019, 19:27 »
I’m equally impressed you managed to drive the best part of an hour and average 50mph.  Midnight on an empty motorway, with a gentle downhill gradient?  :huh:

50 limit on the M6 for miles.... Journey started only a few minutes from the entry junction and ended similarily. The roadworks were nearly the whole way :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 02 July 2019, 08:34 »
Slightly off topic, but I was just wondering if the new 7 speed DSG box fitted to the Performance package MK7.5 cars is more efficient (with regards to MPG) than the older 6 speed DSG ?

At 70 mph my non PP 2018 GTI (6 speed DSG) runs at exactly 2000 rpm, is the 7 speed longer in 7th gear ?

Best I've ever had out of mine is as below (shortly after I got it), - must have been running it in ?

« Last Edit: 02 July 2019, 08:36 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #38 on: 02 July 2019, 08:43 »
Slightly off topic, but I was just wondering if the new 7 speed DSG box fitted to the Performance package MK7.5 cars is more efficient (with regards to MPG) than the older 6 speed DSG ?

At 70 mph my non PP 2018 GTI (6 speed DSG) runs at exactly 2000 rpm, is the 7 speed longer in 7th gear ?

Best I've ever had out of mine is as below (shortly after I got it), - must have been running it in ?

Try living and commuting around a city with 7 hills - 20-25 mpg. 7 speed makes bugger all difference around town.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline CB

• Just got here
« Reply #39 on: 05 July 2019, 10:17 »
52.3 MPG. 

160 miles on M6/42/40/25/4. 

Average speed 56mph due to roadworks / traffic. 

3 month old GTI.

MPG is getting better as the engine has run in, currently 3k.