Author Topic: VW Badge Corrosion  (Read 2404 times)

Offline ne0star

• Not said much yet
VW Badge Corrosion
« on: 29 May 2019, 18:16 »
Has anyone experienced this?

https://imagestore.orecat.net/IMG_1154.jpg

AT first I thought it was bug splats, but it appears that the top of the badge is showing some form of corrosion.  Car is a 7.5 GTI just over 12 months old.  I have never used anything harsh or abrasive on the badge.  My wife got a brand new Polo at the same time which clearly uses the same badge and she doesn't have the same issue.  Can only assume it will get worse.

Is it likely to be covered under warranty?
2018 Golf GTI DSG in Deep Pearl Black

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: VW Badge Corrosion
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2019, 18:56 »
That looks like white worm corrosion, and I’d have thought it should be covered under warranty.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline ne0star

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2019, 08:52 »
When you run your finger over the badge the surface is smooth so the corrosion must be inside the badge.  There must be water ingress.

I will give VW a call and see what they say.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2019, 09:18 »
Definitely get VW to check and pay for. On the 7.5 the badge houses the ACC camera etc, so it’s not a cheap fix/swap.  :smiley:

SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline MKgti

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 16 June 2019, 19:16 »
Neostar did you take this to vw? How did you yet on?

Mine seems to have similar looking spots on it?
Collected and being driven....... Gti PP 5dr DSG Tornado red, tints and Brescia's.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 17 June 2019, 10:57 »
Neostar did you take this to vw? How did you yet on?

Mine seems to have similar looking spots on it?

VW will probably claim "external influences" and deny the claim. With mine and a few other people on the Polo forum, it seems the warranty is pretty ineffective for anything non-mechanical.

I just had a claim denied on my tailgate bottom edge colliding with the bumper and causing micro paint chips on the bottom edge. Slam dunk misbuild as the striker plate for the tailgate is set 4mm further in than it should be...denied. only 6 months/6500 miles coverage for door adjustments - 7 months and 5700 miles to notice the paint chips is too much. Others with similar denials on external parts.

White worm should always be covered. Good luck.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline ne0star

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 17 June 2019, 13:05 »
To be honest I haven't had a chance to have a drive over as the dealership is not on my doorstep.

It's definitely on the inside of the badge so it will be interesting to see what they say.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 17 June 2019, 14:40 »
To be honest I haven't had a chance to have a drive over as the dealership is not on my doorstep.

It's definitely on the inside of the badge so it will be interesting to see what they say.

White worm always used to be covered, depending on whether your local dealer could be arsed to submit the claim and argue with VW. Lookers (formerly Benfield) are and were terrible for rejecting claims, but Pulman (my other local option) always successfully processed claims for white worm on wheels.

VW are definitely knocking more claims back on technicalities and supposed "external influences" (a new buzzword for the VW UK reps you interact with to ask why they refuse a claim your dealer confirms as genuine).

For a rear boot opener/badge, it would be difficult to claim that a  stonechip has compromised lacquer, unless you drive everywhere in reverse!

Someone on the Polo forum has a split rubber gasket on his roof aerial (Jan 19 car). VW claim "external influences", suggesting that a bird may have pecked at it despite there being no peck or claw marks and his car is garaged when not in use.

Beyond reasonable doubt is a phrase VW seem unaware of.

Maybe this is VW reducing costs to claw back dieselgate money losses. Their online review rating is rock bottom at various trusted review sites.

If one dealership group fobs you off, try another before giving up.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 18 June 2019, 09:26 »
12 months old and corrosion issues. I certainly wouldn't be taking no for an answer from the dealer. It's a warranty issue and should be sorted. Getting fobbed off by people is the new British way. You tend to have nicely the first time and then not so nicely the 2nd time.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline ianmb

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 22 July 2019, 13:59 »
The badge is very easy to change ,open the bonnet ,push down through the hole just in front of the badge the clip pushes down and the vw badge will come out.  No problems with radar ,this is how vw  do it.