Author Topic: Trackday/Nurburgring&Brakes  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Lorddan

• Not said much yet
Trackday/Nurburgring&Brakes
« on: 14 October 2018, 09:58 »
Im taking the GTI to the Nurburgring.
I know my way around (been going 18 years)
Just wondered what the standard brakes are like?
Do they fade quickly or should I bung a set of Ferodo pads in??
Any experiences out there?

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
Re: Trackday/Nurburgring&Brakes
« Reply #1 on: 15 October 2018, 13:14 »
Haven't taken my CS to the Green Hell but on a local, tight and hard on the brakes track the fluid gave in first so I'd definitely change that If I planned such a trip. Brakes (fluids and pads) can easily ruin your day and it would be a pity. If you do fluid though might as well throw a set of upgraded pads on while you're at it.

Obviously it depends on your style also but I know I get carried away easily on tracks I know. You say you've been going there for 18 years so I guess it will be similar.
« Last Edit: 15 October 2018, 13:16 by scanesare »

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 15 October 2018, 14:45 »
I'd imagine it completely depends how you are going to drive the 'Ring.

My view is that 7 or 8 tenths is probably where you need to be at on an open day with all sorts of cars and traffic. So much to go wrong very quickly on the Ring and might not even be your fault.

In which case, the GTI is not a heavy car so the brakes should be fine.

Back to back laps might start to affect things though. We did in 3 laps back to back (with a driver swap after each lap) in a 1 year old Cayman S some years ago on a very warm, German bank holiday in May. The clutch went to the floor on lap 3 so we stopped for a break after that and managed a 4th lap and it was fine.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Lorddan

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 15 October 2018, 19:10 »
Thanks.
Its a Trackday not tourestenfarhen (Stopped doing these some years ago) so will be pretty quiet out on track.

The car has only done 15000 miles so I would imagine the fluid will be ok and I know people there that would be able to do a quick change at lunchtime if needs be.

Was supposed to be taking my old faithful Porsche 993, but 1st n 2nd gear selector went last week and my man can't fix it in time, so I'm nicking the family GTi and leaving the mrs with my van :rolleyes:

Offline mike roberts

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 04 November 2018, 17:38 »
If you know your way around, you won't be leaning on the brakes that much.

Maybe speak to Ron @ RSRnurburg and see what they run on their MK7?

'18 245PP DSG