Author Topic: Hatchback Lighting  (Read 4707 times)

Offline rjwojcik

• Here all the time
Hatchback Lighting
« on: 30 September 2018, 22:32 »
Would anyone know if there are any solutions to fit lighting in the hatch area?  With the nights drawing in, I'm struggling to see inside it.  :embarrassed:
Current:
2018 RS4  - Navarra Blue / Black
Gone:
2016 A6 BiTDI - Midnight Blue / Black
2016 Golf GTD with a "lot" of toys
2016 M3 CP - Mineral Grey / Black
2009 135i - Le Mans Blue / Black

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
Re: Hatchback Lighting
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2018, 22:53 »
If I understand you correctly you mean the boot area, you can fit LED boot lighting which is a fairly easy fix and bulbs readily available from eBay. Other options are a good torch ! 😂
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline rjwojcik

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 30 September 2018, 23:29 »
If I understand you correctly you mean the boot area, you can fit LED boot lighting which is a fairly easy fix and bulbs readily available from eBay. Other options are a good torch ! 😂

Yes, sorry, in the boot area.  First car in ages where the boot area is not lit up.  So is there an official retro fit or is it a third party solution that you are referring to?
Current:
Gone:

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 01 October 2018, 09:00 »
Sorry, are you saying that there'd no light whatsoever in your boot ?

if so, that isn't right all all Golf's come with a boot light mounted under the right had side rear shelf ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 01 October 2018, 09:14 »
Yes, there is one light at one end of the boot, which is great until you have some tall things at that end (eg my briefcase for work) and then the place is pitch black.

I did think of running some of those LED strip lights that Ikea make for under kitchen cupboards around the boot edge. I think that might be quite easy, except how to trigger them.... maybe take something off of the OEM boot light.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline TweedsideR

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 01 October 2018, 11:07 »
Plenty of info out there if you use Google.
Try "golf gti mk7 luggage lighting" and check out the many listings, videos etc.

Offline rjwojcik

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 01 October 2018, 12:25 »
Sorry, are you saying that there'd no light whatsoever in your boot ?

if so, that isn't right all all Golf's come with a boot light mounted under the right had side rear shelf ?

Correct, I'll have a proper look tonight (before the sun goes down).  Might just be the bulbs gone?
Current:
Gone:

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 01 October 2018, 16:15 »

Yes, sorry, in the boot area.  First car in ages where the boot area is not lit up.  So is there an official retro fit or is it a third party solution that you are referring to?

I think he is referring to the fact that the boot light is equivalent to a small candle.

It's a really annoying cost cutting area for VW to go to the trouble of all LEDs for every external and most internal lights then fit crappy bulbs in the glovebox and boot.

For reference, when I had use of a '15 plate RS3 at the start of the year, I noticed Audi fits LEDs lights both sides of the boot and meant it was well lit up. What would that have actually cost, £5-10 more? Guess thats why Audi is the premium brand although not that long ago that most A3 models including S-Line didn't even have illuminated vanity mirrors!

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline rjwojcik

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 01 October 2018, 20:54 »
Success, I've found the lamp holder.  It must have been blown since me having the car, so always assumed there was no light.  

I've extracted it and am now in the process of ordering a replacement bulb..

Thanks for all of the replies.
« Last Edit: 01 October 2018, 20:56 by rjwojcik »
Current:
Gone:

Offline monsta

• I live here