Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 244904 times)

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #740 on: 17 June 2019, 09:20 »
I said I would post up a fuller review when I had run the car in but I’ve done about 500 miles in it now and spent the last week in the TCR driving in all conditions so suspect that my opinion won’t change much.

We optioned the TCR with traffic sign recognition and lane assist. The first appears to only identify the last traffic sign recognised versus having any intelligence or using supplemental data. The speed warning that was permanently on in the instrumentation became a source of irritation and it was promptly disabled. The lane assist revealed itself to me on a piece of road I know well and as I took the racing line, proceeded to fight me. Disabled that at the next stop street and not turned it back on again. I am sure they can be adjusted in some way but I’m not bothered about them as features and wouldn’t specify them if I had my time again. These features have been executed better in other cars I’ve driven.

The car is starting to bed in and the exhaust has produced some promising sounds when provoked but I still think it’s too quiet or the cabin is too well insulated. For a race car inspired model, it appears inspiration was taken from Formula E.

This is the first VW I’ve had with the digital instrumentation and for the most part I like it - subject to the usual complaint about the division of information between the head unit and instrumentation cluster not always being entirely perfect. The one thing that I have a bit of a bug bear with is the fuel gauge. At no point am I ever in doubt as to what my fuel level is on the CSS. But on the TCR, I have to check the gauge versus being able to just glance at it. Not sure if it’s the orientation change or the colour choice of the marker needle. I need to investigate whether I can change the needle colour or customise it, I’m sure it’s possible but if anyone has done this, be good to hear your views and how you did the change. I no longer have VCDS but been thinking about getting it again but as it’s PC only, it really is a pain.

Over the last week, I’ve driven the car in some appalling conditions and it has felt sure footed in extremely water logged conditions. The Pirellis have been very good and confidence inspiring. My car has the Reifnitz wheels and there is virtually no tyre wall when combined with the Pirellis and even very low kerbs can be nicked if you turn out too sharply. There really isn’t much forgiveness at all. Brakes are excellent and every bit as good as the ones on the CSS. They’re sharp but don’t feel as over servoed as they initially did, this may be running in or just familiarisation on my part.

I’ve played with the chassis control extensively and am running an individual programme which in essence is sport mode with dampers set to comfort or standard. I think the DCC settings are really well judged and unlike the CSS, I can use all of them in all conditions and none feel inappropriate. On the other hand, race mode on the CSS can’t cope with the UK’s roads but Sport on the TCR is absolutely fine.

I think power and torque in the TCR are spot on and the car feels quick. Quicker than a GTI PP. I’ve not managed to slip the wheels or induce any tramping and it puts power down well without any discernible torque steer. I've not been stamping on the pedals or burying my foot, it just hasn't been necessary due to the level of power/torque.

The DSG gearbox. Personally, I hate it if I want to have fun but don’t mind it if I’m just driving the car normally. Left in full auto, it’s always a gear out from where I want to be or is hell bent on having me change up for fuel economy. Driven in manual, it’s fine but the paddles are a bit of a joke and might be more agreeable if they were suitably sized. I’ve mentioned that I don’t get on with the fact that they’re fixed to the steering wheel which is a pain if you’re on twisty road with changes in elevation where you’re turning and changing up/down. Left in full auto to avoid shifting, the car would have me in sixth as soon as it possibly could, even in sport. Will probably swap to Mountine paddles if they can supply them without the ‘Halfords look’ branding.

Fuel economy not great, driving like a saint, I got 36.6mpg on a 100 mile run which was 20% suburbs / 60% motorway / 20% rural. Ironically, my wife runs the car in eco and got worse figures for the same run and she has a very different driving style. The Blue Trainer app gave me 85% as a rating for my driving but given the 20% of London driving, that’s expected due to the way you have to drive. My GT4 has a 3.8 litre engine and is manual. I manage 30.1mpg driving in similar manner on the same journey.

For me, the novelty of exploring a new car has worn off. It’s a superb car and excellent package but I think the performance aspects are let down with DSG. Despite the creature comforts, modernised interface and so on, I’d have a CSS without hesitation if I wanted a car that put a smile on my face every time.

Think the car be receiving comes with the standard traffic recognition and lane assist and not the plus + but its not something had any personal interest in and if became onerous would do exactly the same as you, and turn them off.

The parts that really took comfort in was the performance in the wet for the drive and braking, and this week has been very winter time wet, so an unwanted but really good test and your comments provide comfort given I am dropping AWD.

The next piece that provided assurance was the DCC settings

Based on both them comments alone then thats two major concerns allayed

In terms of the DSG, think you describing DSG across the performance range as sounds a very similar experience to both my GTD and now the R - Having been with DSG for 6 years now have an intuitive feel for it but recognise all the comments you make especially the paddles moving with the wheel - Personally grown to love DSG given mine is a daily drive, but if wanted a weekend drive like the CSS S I would be wanting a manual.

There is a variety of options to switch out the paddles to larger and more quality materials - Think its just removing a pin, slotting in the new paddle and reinserting the pin - a few have done it across the forums so might be worth you looking at.

I have to park on a dark road, with high kerbs and usually under pressure so my Pretoria have some kerb rash as sometimes nicked them so for me wheel damage is an occupational hazard and it will likely be me living with some damage and spot repairs until maybe take time to repair them properly (2 or 3 years) though might investigate clear or black wheel protectors? anyone got any experience of them? EDIT: decided that the rimblades would likely be pointless and the allygator would be price of a couple of refurbs, so think I will do what do now, live with any damage, spot repair so look ok from general view and refurb at a defined distant point in time

Think the insulated cabin may have as much to do with it as seen a few videos where comments in the cabin have been to a muted noise but when they checked their exterior footage the noise was pretty good (and when windows open)

Presume there is no cabin fakery as pretty sure you would have mentioned it as its hard to ignore and irritates mostly everyone

The R is not raucous and would likely disappoint some but I quite like the deep tone its developed in race.

Seems mine is going to be MY20 so I will likely now get a chance to comment on the Akraprovich

Based on the 300 BHP R that drive,where get circa 28-30 MPG on the local and mid distance commutes, then 36 MPG on 286 BHP sounds quite good, as only ever get the 36 - 40 MPG on longer cruises. On both my cars the fuel economy gradually increased as miles were put on.   

If I got 36+ MPG I would be considering that a win as the GTD only was getting circa 38 MPG in its last year (as personal mileage dropped)

My R is a MK 7 so analogue which will sadly be giving up the dials for the screen. Always thought the MK 7 dials were just ok, and really liked the S3 dials but prefer any dials to a screen, so as much as sure will grow to accept, but in general a screen will never be a replacement for some well engineered dials

As stated, good honest review, and thanks for taking time, and given the high standards you comparing to, wholly positive and I personally am taking the overall comment of its a superb car despite the lesser liked aspects.

Who is next up to receive?
« Last Edit: 17 June 2019, 10:50 by Hertsman »
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #741 on: 17 June 2019, 10:02 »
OBD11 is an alternative to vcds and is phone or tablet based. Your 36mpg sounds really good considering its got 45bhp more than a GTi pp and it'll probably get slightly better the more miles go on.

Thanks for the tip on OBD11, it's on my list to look at but previously having looked at alternatives of that ilk, they were a bit superficial in terms of what they allowed. Have you used it to make changes to the instrumentation aesthetic? I remember there was  a time that you could adjust the dial sweep and that was about it.

I thought the 36 wasn't great. I was hoping to hit 40 but suspect that it's too early to make a call.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline sh3lldon

• Not said much yet
« Reply #742 on: 17 June 2019, 10:31 »
Picked my TCR up on Sat put 300 miles on it coming home and done around another 50 locally

Options -
DCC
Dynaudio

Very happy with the car it is relatively fast but extremely adaptable and comfortable in comparison to my R33 GTR this offers decent enough performance in a great package, the DSG box is taking me a bit of getting used to but for a daily its fine. Wet yesterday when out for a more spirited run and it does struggle for traction at points but it feels safe and planted. Looking forward to really getting to grips with it now and setting it up for personal preference.

Car was ordered throgh Joe at TL Darby great experience with no issues would recommend.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #743 on: 17 June 2019, 10:34 »
Nice to read a post that hasn’t been written with rose tinted glasses.

How do you think it would have faired against the CSS had it also been manual?

A few reviews have mentioned the sound is fine but got a race inspired car a little more would have been nice, but as you say, it may be down to how well insulated the cabin is. I wonder if this was part of the reason for the akrapovic addition that will be comin?

No point in not being honest. It's funny in that of all the cars I've owned, the Clubsport S is the only one that I can think of where I'd say, 'wouldn't change a thing'. There is not a thing wrong with the way it drives.

If the TCR was manual, now there's a question. They didn't go as far as they did with the CSS so it doesn't have the aluminium sub frame and there is a weight difference but I suspect unless you were really pushing it to the limit, I think the differences that separate them would not be that significant. That said, the CSS does feel lighter and I think the sound deadening that was stripped out makes the experience of driving it that much more visceral. Quite a lot of the difference comes down to perception and how the car makes you feel and that's why I mentioned the sound insulation in the TCR muting the exhaust to a degree.

I'm not into obnoxiously loud exhausts, I like an exhaust which brings out the character of the engine and rewards you with a great sound but to drive in DSG and let the car do the work means you're always at lower revs pushing into higher gears. When I have run it manually and taken it closer to the redline going up, it sounds good and maybe the Akrapovic will fix that.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #744 on: 17 June 2019, 11:02 »
Picked my TCR up on Sat put 300 miles on it coming home and done around another 50 locally

Options -
DCC
Dynaudio

Very happy with the car it is relatively fast but extremely adaptable and comfortable in comparison to my R33 GTR this offers decent enough performance in a great package, the DSG box is taking me a bit of getting used to but for a daily its fine. Wet yesterday when out for a more spirited run and it does struggle for traction at points but it feels safe and planted. Looking forward to really getting to grips with it now and setting it up for personal preference.

Car was ordered throgh Joe at TL Darby great experience with no issues would recommend.

Took my wife A1 SLine 185 BHP out for a run yesterday and it was damp and as the A1 is relatively small thats a decent amount of power to be pushing through front wheels and that little bit of scrabble is fun, you never feel out of control, it feels like you are interacting with the car, and thats probably the single thing that miss with the R, its too capable really and its going to be really interesting to compare the driving experience of the TCR vs R given I have such a feel now for the R to make a good cross comparison

- Think most find that though the comfort - normal - sport are ok as selections, its the individual settings that work the best - mine is set up in individual and never touch it.

Obviously your GTR is a great car but of older tech, so its not anywhere near an easy comparison, so best not to.

Obviously you still being careful but when miles start adding up and you get used to being in the car tell us how getting on?
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #745 on: 17 June 2019, 13:54 »
As much as I hate to admit it, the decals really have grown on me, they certainly separate the car apart from other GTI's...  :shocked:

I may have been tempted if they weren't so expensive.  Plus some review cars had them in an similar body colour to the grey so they didn't stand out as much whereas we only get black.  I think the subtle colour works a little better.
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline sh3lldon

• Not said much yet
« Reply #746 on: 17 June 2019, 20:16 »
Obviously you still being careful but when miles start adding up and you get used to being in the car tell us how getting on?

Yes will update with thoughts, out earlier for a small run feels very capable. I am enjoying the car so far.

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #747 on: 17 June 2019, 21:03 »

Options -
DCC
Dynaudio

Also ordered through Joe and would also highlight the great experience I have had so far.

Can’t wait to get mine, but sometime to wait yet :)
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #748 on: 18 June 2019, 07:00 »
OBD11 is an alternative to vcds and is phone or tablet based. Your 36mpg sounds really good considering its got 45bhp more than a GTi pp and it'll probably get slightly better the more miles go on.

Thanks for the tip on OBD11, it's on my list to look at but previously having looked at alternatives of that ilk, they were a bit superficial in terms of what they allowed. Have you used it to make changes to the instrumentation aesthetic? I remember there was  a time that you could adjust the dial sweep and that was about it.

I thought the 36 wasn't great. I was hoping to hit 40 but suspect that it's too early to make a call.
so far what I've used mine for its been excellent. Does full scans and you can change things. Slightly different to vcds but does the same up to now.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #749 on: 18 June 2019, 08:28 »

so far what I've used mine for its been excellent. Does full scans and you can change things. Slightly different to vcds but does the same up to now.

Ok, that's really helpful. I'll give it a proper look. Thanks. I just can't be bothered to buy a cheap PC laptop which is what I had to do to run a whole bunch of software in the past.