Author Topic: GTi or R  (Read 15799 times)

Offline Madpig

• Not said much yet
Re: GTi or R
« Reply #40 on: 15 August 2018, 12:52 »
I thought about the Clubsport edition but I don't think you can get new ones? Besides it would out of my price range as I can only just stretch to the GTI performance! The dealer did say he might be able to get me a second hand one but I wouldn't get any deposit allowance on it and I wouldn't know if it had been ragged either.
I treat my RS like it's my baby and I will do the same with the Golf too. After the test drives I've had I think 245 bhp will be just fine as it's not all about straight line speed.
Thanks to both of you though as I agree with your comments especially the one about leaving it in the car park!

Offline Juicetin

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #41 on: 17 August 2018, 09:36 »
I spent 1.5 years in a Mk7 GTI PP and now a year in a Mk7 R, I have to say overall I enjoyed the GTI more.
It feels so much lighter and more nimble, the R feels like a tank in comparison. The extra power of the R is nice to have but the GTI is just more fun due to it's "chuck-ability". I reckon the Ed 40 could be the best all round option, I would love to try one.

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #42 on: 17 August 2018, 19:33 »
Thanks to OP for this thread as I am now going through exactly the same dilemma choosing between R and GTI. I think the choice depends entirely on what you're looking for from a car.
I do about 5k miles a year. Commute to work is only 4 miles each way in town traffic. I drive country lanes, dual carriageways 3-4 times a week and motorways maybe twice a year.
I'm at a point in my life where I want a nice, quiet, refined, easy to drive car that's still not slow and can deliver a bit of fun and speed when I'm not snarled up in traffic.
The R beats the GTI hands down off the line but in "real world" driving, I keep hearing there's not much of a performance difference. Extra 60 BHP in the R but then 100KG to lug around with the AWD.
I'm swaying towards the GTI because it looks better than the R in my opinion, exterior and especially the interior. It's also is a more practical car and better suited to the miles and type of driving I do.
Also, whilst there's not much difference in price which does make the R tempting, I could get some great options on the GTI for the extra money.
I too though would be interested in others views on what to go for.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #43 on: 17 August 2018, 20:03 »
GTi PP doesn't even require any more discussion  :whistle:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline MarkHowells

• Not said much yet
« Reply #44 on: 17 August 2018, 20:20 »
I had a 2014 mk7 R for 4 years and I have had a 2018 GTi PP for 2 months now. I definitely prefer the R. The main reasons are the sound (the grunt - both inside and outside), the acceleration, the grip and the way I feels more planted. I am hoping to get to like my GTi, but I bought it as I couldn’t buy a manual R. My plan is that the GTi is cheaper to buy and cheaper to run and I will use the cost savings to save towards a deposit for the mk8 R. I just hope that it will be available as a manual. If not, I will have to learn to drive a DSG (as I have been driving manual cars for 40 years now).

Don’t get me wrong, they are both great cars and I am grateful that I am in a position that I can experience them both, but I just prefer the R. I think also that it is down to costs. There is no doubt about it, the GTi is cheaper to buy and run, but I think that I am a R man.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #45 on: 17 August 2018, 22:16 »
I had a 2014 mk7 R for 4 years and I have had a 2018 GTi PP for 2 months now. I definitely prefer the R. The main reasons are the sound (the grunt - both inside and outside), the acceleration, the grip and the way I feels more planted. I am hoping to get to like my GTi, but I bought it as I couldn’t buy a manual R. My plan is that the GTi is cheaper to buy and cheaper to run and I will use the cost savings to save towards a deposit for the mk8 R. I just hope that it will be available as a manual. If not, I will have to learn to drive a DSG (as I have been driving manual cars for 40 years now).

Don’t get me wrong, they are both great cars and I am grateful that I am in a position that I can experience them both, but I just prefer the R. I think also that it is down to costs. There is no doubt about it, the GTi is cheaper to buy and run, but I think that I am a R man.

I can appreciate why you prefer the R.
I loved my R too, it’s an amazing all rounder.

The FL GTI PP would never be far behind a manual R on British roads no matter what the weather though.
The torque comes in lower down and will more of less match the R on torque to weight, plus the VAQ will easily be a match for the 4wd in most situations once rolling.
I think you need to relearn your driving style to suit the GTI. Less reliance on revs and more on torque delivery, but more so learning to drive the VAQ properly as it’s an amazing bit of kit that works better the harder you push through corners.
Maybe it’s the tyres you have that are letting you down a bit?
« Last Edit: 17 August 2018, 22:20 by Exonian »
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #46 on: 18 August 2018, 13:51 »

The FL GTI PP would never be far behind a manual R on British roads no matter what the weather though.
The torque comes in lower down and will more of less match the R on torque to weight, plus the VAQ will easily be a match for the 4wd in most situations once rolling.
I think you need to relearn your driving style to suit the GTI. Less reliance on revs and more on torque delivery, but more so learning to drive the VAQ properly as it’s an amazing bit of kit that works better the harder you push through corners.

Mine is bloody gorgeous, convinced the 7speed is the biggest reason for the seamless acceleration, that and the amazing traction, also the bhp that I'm convinced is above book. It's quiet, comfortable beats my ladies GTI on every single level including fun. Frightening can be fun
If anyone is passing come and try mine, btw it doesn't feel like a tank to me!
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #47 on: 18 August 2018, 14:03 »

Mine is bloody gorgeous, convinced the 7speed is the biggest reason for the seamless acceleration, that and the amazing traction, also the bhp that I'm convinced is above book. It's quiet, comfortable beats my ladies GTI on every single level including fun. Frightening can be fun
If anyone is passing come and try mine, btw it doesn't feel like a tank to me!
See you tomorrow :laugh: :laugh:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #48 on: 20 August 2018, 09:27 »
I'm utterly convinced the solid nature of the R is to do with the weight distribution of the AWD bits...

A FWD Golf is stupidly light on the rear, which makes it feel a bit strange on bumpy roads (ie the UK). Its never a real problem in terms of making holes in the scenery, but its definitely disconcerting at times.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #49 on: 20 August 2018, 10:00 »
For struggling to decide (not the OP as he’s sticking with diesel  :rolleyes:), here’s a nice review of both GTI Performance and the R.

https://youtu.be/gRfxc5Tmj1w

And 0-60 in 5.7 for the GTI  :cool:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey