Author Topic: Clubsport Edition 40 Overboost Question  (Read 11138 times)

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
Re: Clubsport Edition 40 Overboost Question
« Reply #20 on: 03 August 2018, 15:23 »
I don't think I ever got the Power dial to show anything more than the standard boost power of 195kw, or if it did I wasn't watching  :grin:  I suspect R and CSS should show 220-228kw (as advertised).

It's easier to check the max boost figure (OB mode) as that occurs if you bury your foot in 4th gear with 3K rpm in, even at legal speeds (that's a max load situation). Max power on the other hand comes in say 4th gear going WOT at around 5500-6000 by which point you're travelling pretty fast to be focusing on anything else other than road ahead, a passenger or a cam can be of help in that case. As such I haven't bothered much with what the power dial shows on my mapped CS but i will check it as i'm just curious.

It's worth noting also that boost shows the ECU commanded boost, not what the car is actually making. For those familiar with VCDS, that's the same figure as the "boost pressure, specified" channel not "boost pressure, actual". Normally, "specified" and "actual" (esp. on stock cars) are fairly close but on tuned cars they can vary a lot. Stage 1 cars will typically see a max boost figure of 2.6bar (1.6 absolute) when flooring it in 4th gear 3K rpm, an increase of +0.4bar compared to stock boost (in OB mode).

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 03 August 2018, 15:39 »
But that's 1/2 the fun of driving though isn't it ? learning a bit of throttle control and feeding in the power just below the point you loose traction and actually being involved in the driving process rather than just burying the throttle and expecting the car to do everything for you ?

Well it is with me but maybe I'm just getting old  :cry: the Xbox playing youth of today just want easy speed, Ok I'll get my zimmer frame now....

Heaven forbid!
You'd be burnt at the stake on certain forums for that sort of attitude! Or whatever the modern equivalent of that is, forum lynch mob ?

Some days my Clubsport seems to feel like a scalded cat and other days it feels a bit sluggish in the low to medium range so I think there is definitely a pair of maps injected into the ECU. One being the original Leon Cupra 265PS map and the other being the 290PS Cupra map but where the changeover between them is would be anyone's guess as I've never felt a step in performance.
I've accelerated out of fast roundabouts onto dual carriageways plenty of times before and would say, having owned an R and a GTI PP, sometimes there's definitely more than 265PS and sometimes there's definitely less than 290PS. More noticeable to me in quickish road use is the torque difference between to two maps because the 265PS map feels less torquey than the PP 230PS map but the days the car is in scalded cat mode it's easily as quick as my R was.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Jeffers40

• Not said much yet
« Reply #22 on: 03 August 2018, 15:42 »
@scanesare - out of interest what map do you have and what are the options for the CS ?
2016 GTi Clubsport Edition 40

Offline Jeffers40

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 03 August 2018, 15:46 »

Heaven forbid!
You'd be burnt at the stake on certain forums for that sort of attitude! Or whatever the modern equivalent of that is, forum lynch mob ?

Some days my Clubsport seems to feel like a scalded cat and other days it feels a bit sluggish in the low to medium range so I think there is definitely a pair of maps injected into the ECU. One being the original Leon Cupra 265PS map and the other being the 290PS Cupra map but where the changeover between them is would be anyone's guess as I've never felt a step in performance.
I've accelerated out of fast roundabouts onto dual carriageways plenty of times before and would say, having owned an R and a GTI PP, sometimes there's definitely more than 265PS and sometimes there's definitely less than 290PS. More noticeable to me in quickish road use is the torque difference between to two maps because the 265PS map feels less torquey than the PP 230PS map but the days the car is in scalded cat mode it's easily as quick as my R was.

I know what you mean about the occasional sluggish feeling, would be good to just have 290PS all the time as I think that is a good figure for this car as it feels enough in scalded cat mode. Any plug and play remaps out there that give you this all the time ?

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #24 on: 03 August 2018, 16:50 »
@scanesare - out of interest what map do you have and what are the options for the CS ?

I currently have a map from a local Swedish tuner which I'm not entirely happy with and will soon switch to either APR or REVO after enough digging and collecting info on their maps and because they are convenient options from a distance/dealer availability point of view. Almost every tuner must be offering a CS map these days and to most they would all feel similar I think. It's when you start to look at various ECU/engine parameters under various conditions that you notice some differences on each tuner's approach of making the extra power.

I know what you mean about the occasional sluggish feeling, would be good to just have 290PS all the time as I think that is a good figure for this car as it feels enough in scalded cat mode. Any plug and play remaps out there that give you this all the time ?

I very much doubt the sluggish feeling is down to the car being in overboost or not, the difference is really very small between the two modes. It's all down to being in the right gear and rpm for the scenario in question, the DSG's laziness in D and even in Manual mode sometimes, coupled with VW's infamous throttle response can make the car vary its response significantly. For the throttle response, a pedal box is your best best and as to the DSG, at certain cases the only way to keep the car on its toes and have it launch forward immediately is to keep it in S mode (as much as I usually hate it). I have repeatedly confirmed this by driving the same way around the same spots in D, S and manual and realizing the car gave me its best in S.

What do you mean by plug n play? All tuners flash via OBD these days, no messing with the actual ECU enclosure (cracking open, soldering etc.) If you mean something that is completely removable there's the Jb1/4 which bypasses boost, AFR etc. signals without modifying anything on the actual ECU map.

Offline Jeffers40

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 03 August 2018, 19:32 »
By plug and play I meant with a hand unit via the OBD socket. I know the days of soldering a chip into the ECU are gone but some still need tampering with especially on some BMWs

Also my car is a manual, don’t like DSG type gearboxes, prefer a good old gear stick and 3 pedals. Told you I was old Skool....

Offline Jeffers40

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 04 August 2018, 19:04 »
Another question, on a manual car does the switch on full throttle actually do anything ?

Offline SWEGTI

• Just got here
« Reply #27 on: 07 August 2018, 13:40 »
Overboost only works in S mode and gear 3 and above, 10s maximum. It also works using LC.
This according to german forums. And i notice a difference when overtaking in 3.rd and 4:th  with the transmission in S VS D.

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #28 on: 07 August 2018, 17:18 »
Overboost only works in S mode and gear 3 and above, 10s maximum. It also works using LC.
This according to german forums. And i notice a difference when overtaking in 3.rd and 4:th  with the transmission in S VS D.

Welcome!

(not based in Skåne by any chance?  :tongue:)

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 07 August 2018, 20:32 »

What about when the DSG is in manual mode using the paddles?? Do I get the extra bhp??
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership