Author Topic: ghost immobiliser  (Read 3065 times)

Offline stuwbafc

• Not said much yet
ghost immobiliser
« on: 19 June 2018, 16:41 »
hi people quick question any of you guys had this ghost immobiliser fitted ?? be good to get some feedback  :laugh:

Offline dave7268

• GTI forum regular
Re: ghost immobiliser
« Reply #1 on: 19 June 2018, 17:06 »
Yes, I do. Got it fitted to my new car in November last year and it has brought me a lot of peace of mind.

Very easy to use and it has been problem free - it's an immobiliser and does the job - what more can one say!  :wink:

Only drawback is that insurance companies don't offer any discount if you have it fitted as it is not Thatcham approved.
7GTI PP DSG - no longer

Offline stuwbafc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 20 June 2018, 10:55 »
thanks for the feedback dave may i ask how much you got it fitted for ? and thats a bit pants that you cant save on insurance  :angry:

Offline O2Doc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 20 June 2018, 13:12 »
From my post on M3cutters a while back regarding the Ghost. My thoughts on it have certainly not changed since!

I don't wish to offend anyone in this thread but this type of security device really does not make any sense to me. I shall try and explain why - please feel free to correct me if I have got my facts mixed up.

I am making the assumption that there are no outward signs that this device is fitted to the car - no stickers warning anyone wanting to take your car away that Ghost is fitted.

So the advantages:

1. The thief won't be able to take away your car....or will they?

The disadvantages:

1. Does not deter or indeed warn you that anyone is trying to or has gained access to the inside of your car. As we already know with numerous tracker fitted cars this leads to one thing....

2. An attempt to find said 'hidden' device. As there is no indication that the scum are sitting in your car they can take their time to carefully tear apart your dashboard/interior looking for the device.

3. However as frustration sets in they probably realise it is actually easier for them to knock on your door at 3 am and demand the code from you face to face. No car is worth a face off with some scum who have already got into your car and don't see the problem in contacting you directly.

4. Anti-hijack - no idea if this is included but surely the easiest thing for said thief to do is wait for you to start the car and jump you before you drive off. I presume you have no means of shutting off the engine once the car has gone.

5. The fact that I have to press between 4-20 buttons in the car would drive me absolutely crazy before it will start. One presumes that any less then 6-8 presses is probably not secure enough and 20 presses impossible to remember (not to mention the extra wear on the buttons!).

6. No insurance decrease in premiums - this in itself suggests that the confidence in the product is such that it has no thatcham rating and insurance couldn't care less if you have one fitted.

Surely overall then this device may prevent your car from being taken from the drive, but it does not prevent scum getting into your car, potentially coming after you for the pin and or destroying the inside of your car.

As much as I hate having a tracker (because I don't want to see my car again if it is taken - I have GAP thank you) at least most of the above takes place a safe distance away from my house (which in my book is a big bonus).

I would rather spend my money on a quality alarm which does allow me remote access to the car and does warn away thieves before they even get access to my car. If they are clever enough to get past all that, then they probably will have no problem taking a car, in which case take it!

As we have seen recently in the press, some scum will stop at nothing to take a car (which is replaceable).

Just my 2c. I know loads of people with high end cars really rate this system and I am not trying to take anything away from it, however I cannot see how just keeping the car on your drive is an advantage - unless you have a guard dog that you can open the car door to whilst the scum are inside and let loose - although that might mess up the interior somewhat  :nerd:

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #4 on: 20 June 2018, 14:18 »
A guy on VWROC left his car at home whilst at work. He had a ghost and even though they had broken in and got the keys, the car was still on the drive safe and sound.

What more could you want? Most little turds who go after R's/GTI's won't want to hang about, they want to be in and out. If the car won't start with the keys they will be off to the next car. Not many want to start fighting with the house/car owners.... If the cars running and they're in it, they will just try to get away at all costs and won't care about running you over. With the Ghost, that won't happen.

If they try and put the wrong pin in too many times it locks the Ghost out anyway.

« Last Edit: 20 June 2018, 14:23 by Rob1981 »
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline stuwbafc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 20 June 2018, 14:25 »
From my post on M3cutters a while back regarding the Ghost. My thoughts on it have certainly not changed since!

I don't wish to offend anyone in this thread but this type of security device really does not make any sense to me. I shall try and explain why - please feel free to correct me if I have got my facts mixed up.

I am making the assumption that there are no outward signs that this device is fitted to the car - no stickers warning anyone wanting to take your car away that Ghost is fitted.

So the advantages:

1. The thief won't be able to take away your car....or will they?

The disadvantages:

1. Does not deter or indeed warn you that anyone is trying to or has gained access to the inside of your car. As we already know with numerous tracker fitted cars this leads to one thing....

2. An attempt to find said 'hidden' device. As there is no indication that the scum are sitting in your car they can take their time to carefully tear apart your dashboard/interior looking for the device.

3. However as frustration sets in they probably realise it is actually easier for them to knock on your door at 3 am and demand the code from you face to face. No car is worth a face off with some scum who have already got into your car and don't see the problem in contacting you directly.

4. Anti-hijack - no idea if this is included but surely the easiest thing for said thief to do is wait for you to start the car and jump you before you drive off. I presume you have no means of shutting off the engine once the car has gone.

5. The fact that I have to press between 4-20 buttons in the car would drive me absolutely crazy before it will start. One presumes that any less then 6-8 presses is probably not secure enough and 20 presses impossible to remember (not to mention the extra wear on the buttons!).

6. No insurance decrease in premiums - this in itself suggests that the confidence in the product is such that it has no thatcham rating and insurance couldn't care less if you have one fitted.

Surely overall then this device may prevent your car from being taken from the drive, but it does not prevent scum getting into your car, potentially coming after you for the pin and or destroying the inside of your car.

As much as I hate having a tracker (because I don't want to see my car again if it is taken - I have GAP thank you) at least most of the above takes place a safe distance away from my house (which in my book is a big bonus).

I would rather spend my money on a quality alarm which does allow me remote access to the car and does warn away thieves before they even get access to my car. If they are clever enough to get past all that, then they probably will have no problem taking a car, in which case take it!

As we have seen recently in the press, some scum will stop at nothing to take a car (which is replaceable).

Just my 2c. I know loads of people with high end cars really rate this system and I am not trying to take anything away from it, however I cannot see how just keeping the car on your drive is an advantage - unless you have a guard dog that you can open the car door to whilst the scum are inside and let loose - although that might mess up the interior somewhat  :nerd:
thank you mate all very good pionts and i welcome your input most of which i agree with i think i may have to sleep on it and see whats what over a few days  :cool:

Offline stuwbafc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 20 June 2018, 14:28 »
A guy on VWROC left his car at home whilst at work. He had a ghost and even though they had broken in and got the keys, the car was still on the drive safe and sound.

What more could you want? Most little turds who go after R's/GTI's won't want to hang about, they want to be in and out. If the car won't start with the keys they will be off to the next car. Not many want to start fighting with the house/car owners.... If the cars running and they're in it, they will just try to get away at all costs and won't care about running you over. With the Ghost, that won't happen.

If they try and put the wrong pin in too many times it locks the Ghost out anyway.
cheers for the reply buddy im leaning to having it fitted but ive got a couple of days before the car is delivered to make a decision :smiley:

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 20 June 2018, 19:06 »
The problem is it's not little raggylads pinching Rs and Gtis they are being stolen to order by criminal gangs. They will do whatever it takes to steal the car.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline dave7268

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 20 June 2018, 19:56 »
Cost me £400 fully fitted.

All the points 02Doc brought out are valid enough but then again they are valid for any anti-theft measures you can have on your car.

If they want your car then they will get it no matter what it takes. My previous GTI was stolen (house broken into for keys) and was never heard of again despite having a tracking system on it. Thankfully I had GAP insurance.

IMO one point though is not really valid  - The fact that I have to press between 4-20 buttons in the car would drive me absolutely crazy before it will start. One presumes that any less then 6-8 presses is probably not secure enough and 20 presses impossible to remember (not to mention the extra wear on the buttons!).

I have only have the minimum of four presses to make and 26 buttons to choose from so that is nearly a possible 1/2 million combinations. That is certainly secure enough for me and no sign of any wear on the buttons since use, and even if they did start to show signs of wear they can easily be replaced (as with all buttons).

But yes, I wholeheartedly agree that GAP is the best thing you can get for a new car, hence I took out five year cover when I got my car and all for the price of £162 (return to invoice).

7GTI PP DSG - no longer

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #9 on: 20 June 2018, 23:58 »
Yeah GAP is a must, I use a disklok too. Old school  :laugh:
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints