Author Topic: 19" looks great but a bit fragile  (Read 7015 times)

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
19" looks great but a bit fragile
« on: 19 May 2018, 11:18 »
Not having much luck with my wheels recently.
My tread had worn although still on the legal side when I lost control at a roundabout. Probably a combination of worn tyres, slightly too fast but more so an oily surface.

I slid into the side of the kerb so had to purchase a new wheel at the bargain price of £787

I also hit a pot hole on an unlit road after being diverted cause the motorway was shut. It was a planned diversion so you would think they would check the surface of the road they were diverting cars down!!

Anyway here's the damage:

Took it to a few local wheel refurbers who all mostly said the same they would heat the damaged area, smack it with a hammer and then repaint it. Nobody could guarantee a paint match which is fair enough and some said that you would still be able to see a flat spot.

So I decided to send it down to Lepsons that have a great reputation on here and other places.

I got a phone call saying they had stripped it and were about to put it on to the machine to stretch it in to place but there was the possibility it could break. An hour later and you guessed it, I got the phone call saying my alloy had cracked under pressure  :cry:  So my car is currently sitting on axle stands and unable to be used.

I love the look of the 19" but I can't keep forking out nearly £800 if I hit a pothole and get that kind of damage.

So I've got a few different scenarios:

I'm possibly going to go aftermarket and get a set of 18" but don't know which ones. I quite like the Fox Racing matt black ones. Although I can't see them on the site as 18" any more.
Or the carbon ones that are 18"

I also like these BBS ones.

Or source another 19" Pretoria and just use them for the summer with less potholes but still get aftermarket.

I'm looking for recommendations for alloy wheels sites. I've used www.wheelbasealloys.com and they seem quite reasonable can anyone recommend other decent sites. 

Anyone have a 19" Pretoria for sale?
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: 19" looks great but a bit fragile
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2018, 11:41 »
That's rotten luck :cry: There's a few on ebay, one needs a refurb and hasn't had a bid yet, starts at £150.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2018, 11:43 »
Cheers Watts.

That was the rear wheel that took that blow. The front wheel must have hit it dead on one of the spokes.
I sent that to Lepsons at the same time just for a refurb and they said they had to straighten that as well!!
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2018, 12:13 »

I also like these BBS ones.

That's terrible luck p3asa but don't let it put you off the prets - they look incredible!

If you are thinking alternatives though, I have those first BBS ones in 18 for my winters (pic below). I got them 2nd hand so can't comment on suppliers but I think they're a good aftermarket choice. Gnasher on here also has them in 19.

GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2018, 12:51 »
Really bad luck Stevie.  Stick with Prets.  Nothing suits it better.  Just the right design for this car. Not too plain, not too fussy. Just right. 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline MjrSharpe

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2018, 12:52 »
Sorry about the bad luck you're having ! I think the BBS wheels look great, and have considered getting a set of 18" ones myself. I like the ones you have shown, but also the CHR :

https://bbs.com/en/products/performance_line/ch-r.php
2016 GTI - Tornado Red, M52 remap, DTUK Pedal box, dv+, racingline turbo elbow, forge turbo muffler delete, racingline springs, racingline stage 2 BBK, novus 0.1 wheels, injen induction kit ,st rear anti roll bar, TT short shift, 034 motorsports dogbone upper / lower inserts, sachs organic clutch, custom stainless steel exhaust, res delete, leyo bezels, oettinger rear spoiler, maxton splitter, golf r rear lights

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2018, 18:31 »
Personally if you've already got 19" tyres, I'd go for the BBS SRs in 19".

They're not the lightest wheel out there, but they're strong! I've done the pothole thing enough to burst a tyre and the wheel would have been untouched apart from a little chip out of it. If the worst comes to the worst and one actually does need replacing, they're a lot cheaper than the pretorias.

Here's a link to a single wheel - I got mine from here and they messaged me to sell outside ebay (to save on the fees) for a bit of a discount too...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19-Zoll-BBS-SR-8-5Jx19-5x112-et46-Himalaya-grau-matt-BBS-SR028-VW-Golf/262119222769?epid=209652315&hash=item3d0785edf1:g:s9wAAMXQKPRSMyUQ

...and in my opinion, they look spot on!
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2018, 21:41 »
Borbet FF1 would be my choice.
And slow down a bit as well :grin:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2018, 12:21 »

Took it to a few local wheel refurbers who all mostly said the same they would heat the damaged area, smack it with a hammer and then repaint it. Nobody could guarantee a paint match which is fair enough and some said that you would still be able to see a flat spot.

So I decided to send it down to Lepsons that have a great reputation on here and other places.

I am surprised anyone would attempt to repair a wheel with this amount of damage, that's borderline negligent imo.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2018, 14:32 »
I feel for you Stevie, that's a really unfortunate mishap. At least it was just the wheel that copped for it.

Personally, after a lifetime of changing my wheels from OEM to give my car a bit of individuality, I'd stick with the Pretoria for the R.
As Ms B says above, the style just works well on the mk7 and they're light too.
It's a tough one to swallow but I'd not change from a Pretoria on an R. Any other model in the range I'd not be bothered about going aftermarket but if I had Prets I'd stick with them.

MAK do some good designs that work well with the mk7 shape as they use an OEM style.
Although I'd still prefer the Pretorias!  :grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner