Author Topic: PP Real World Ownership Review  (Read 9674 times)

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
Re: PP Real World Ownership Review
« Reply #10 on: 02 April 2018, 14:13 »
I've got the 7 pp and not once have I lost traction on the standard Bridgestones. The PP must have an awful lot to do with this as many others on here constantly slate the tyres.

Yes the diference between a non PP and a PP in terms of traction is night and day
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline Wide

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 02 April 2018, 19:24 »
Great Review!, much better than my youtube video.. :grin: :grin:

But i agree in everyting!.  :wink:

But brake traction from start , is not att problem in the PP.. :whistle:
My Youtube Channel ** MK8 R and MK7.5 GTI PP**
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOQb17Kro9L-iuT91cKxsjA
And My INSTAGRAM FaceliftGT
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHKNpaNHog_/

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #12 on: 03 April 2018, 09:48 »
Good writeup Clarky, sounds like you love your new baby. One question though - how come you only had your previous GTI for such a short time?

BTW...

My colleagues here had Mk7 PP's and their BS traction issues were exactly the same as my Mk7 GTD.

I thought I remembered a technical writeup on here where someone proved that the E-diff made no difference to standing start wheel hop...

Their situation and mine was improved dramatically by replacing the OEM BS's with something else. However, it only really went away when one of them swapped to a Mk7 R... that definitely fixed it.

Its one of those things which sort of spoils the GTI - you have the power, you have the handling, but it really can't get the power down - even my modest GTD can spin up under somewhat less than balls out road racing driving - not even from standing I might add! You do kinda get used to it though, but its the one thing VW haven't managed to fix. Wonder if similar Audis or Skodas have the same issues?

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline oscar_86

• Just got here
« Reply #13 on: 03 April 2018, 10:35 »
Hello clarky!
Thank you very much for this amazing post! Especially, because I personally am waiting for my PP 7.5 and I found myself in this situation and I didn't find, anywhere, anyone to share their experience.
I am very happy to know that it is a really good car and that it fulfills what I need, a car for the day to day, fast and efficient when I need it.
Thank you very much for taking the time to explain your experiences and share them with other colleagues! Greetings from Spain! :smiley:

Offline random_nickname

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 03 April 2018, 16:31 »
Very good write up and can agree with everything you said apart from the fact that I have the MK7 PP as opposed to the 7.5 so cannot comment on some points you made.

The LSD works very well indeed and just seems a lot more nimble and still continues to surprise me after 2 years of ownership. Better brakes and extra power make £1000 seem like a very good deal for a noticeable improvement to an already great car.
| GOLF MK7 GTI | PP | DSG | KEYLESS | DYNAUDIO | SUNROOF | 3DR | WHITE |

Offline Will2018

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 07 April 2018, 13:45 »
Great write up. Really looking forward to my PP GTi arriving after reading that.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #16 on: 12 April 2018, 14:50 »
Nice owners review :cool:

As for the VAQ diff - I have noticed what felt like oversteer a couple of times. The car squirmed - as the nose tucked into the bend. It felt very strange.

Since setting my the VAQ diff to 'sport' I have not had any more loud bangs under hard acceleration. There have been a few dull thuds though. :whistle:

I was in the garage getting my 10k oil/service. They had VW Driver Magazine for March. It had a full review of the GTI PP with a manual gear box.  When they complained about the touch screen being a fingerprint magnet, I laughed out loud in agreement. :rolleyes:

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #17 on: 12 April 2018, 15:38 »
You should see the NavPro...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 08 May 2018, 20:19 »
Old thread but great write up... I now can't wait for June...!  :grin:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline andyb_123

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 09 May 2018, 07:50 »
I still need to learn the gearbox as I feel that sport mode isn't suited for "town" driving as it hangs on to the gears a little too long, so you use the paddles to shift up....and then it shifts down anyways ?? In normal mode, it's pretty good but not perfect - I guess at the end of the day, it a computer and can't see what we do

We have our car in "eco" mode which is good for town driving and when in traffic generally. If you explicitly pick it from the menu then it'll also do the freewheel thing, which saves a bit of fuel. Then, when we want the car to be like a GTI just pull the DSG stick towards you and it sticks it in sport mode for more interesting driving conditions. We don't bother with the "normal" mode now.