Author Topic: ~Driving LHD in a RHD country~ Hatchs' MK6 GTI Build Thread  (Read 24529 times)

Offline hatchfanatic06

• Not said much yet
  • I'll get it right eventually.....
Hey fellow dubbers, the point of this build like any other is to catalog my progress from bone stock to wherever this build takes me.

The Car:

2010 CW GTI
- 18" Detroit's
- Dynaudio System
- Bi-Xenon HiDs
- Sunroof

Pic:

Sorry for the crappy pic only one on my laptop will update when I get home.

Back story (Nov 2010):

I bought this car back in November of 2010 after returning from a deployment; before I was driving a 2004 Honda Civic SI for the past three years. Before buying my GTI I test drove 2 other cars in the same "class"; a 2010 WRX, and 2010 Mazdaspeed3. Granted the extra power the other two vehicles put out was very nice but after sitting in the seat of the GTI I was sold.....

I spent the next 1-2 months planning and plotting what I'm going to do to transform my car into my "dream" car. Needless to say I get orders to England and all that goes out the window. I spent the next 4-5 months making sure I would be able to take my car, and planning on not doing anything unsure of how strict their automobile inspections are etc.

Fast forward to Mar 2011

Arrived in England a few months earlier with my vehicle safely shipped across the Atlantic with all the appropriate mods to make it "UK legal" (only needed rear fog, gotta love German cars.) Anyways once again look at getting my Stg 1 set up; no less than a week later deployment orders drop (so sick of the delays haha, this car is itching for some work.)

Today (07Sep2011)

Getting ready to return home now has me looking at ordering what I would call phase 1 of this build.......

Phase 1
  • - APR TBE
  • - APR Carbonio Stg 1 intake
  • - APR Stage 2 ECU Flash

(I realize this is about as cookie cutter as it gets, but let's be honest almost any path I go with the engine will either be a knock off of what someone else has done or overplayed. It's the cosmetic things I do that I believe will give my car its character.)

This early into the build and I've already encountered a few hurdles.

The tune: There are APR dealers in England but paying 499 GBP (about 813 USD) for a basic 1 program tune doesn't seem so enticing for me (I m looking at getting at least 3 programs). Luckily I sent a PM to Arin@APR and he directed me to their sales department, who has been more then helpful in figuring out the easiest solution. Still in works

The TBE/Intake: I attempted to order these from APR directly, after filling out most of the order forms it would have appeared that they do ship to APO. I decided to call and place my order so I could check availability of the parts and turns out they do not ship to APO. Next I moved onto NAMotorsports (which I would highly recommend; I see myself going through them whenever possible.)  So I call NAMotorsports and talk to Ed who starts taking my order and shipping information, unfortunately PayPal doesn't like my debit card. After spending about 1-2 hours on the phone with PayPal/my bank/ NAMotorsports trying to figure out what is going on; I found out from PayPal that it has something to do with the card having the same # as an older card but newer expiration date or some crap. Resolved

What's to come (big ticket items):

[] - APR FMIC
  • - Coil-Overs (still researching on what I want.)

[] - Fifteen52 18" Tarmacs [polished I think]
[] - P3 Boost Digital Boost Gauge
  • - 20% Tint all around

[] - Golf R LED Tails (smoked)
[] - TWM Short Shifter
[] - DXD Stg 2 Daily Clutch
[] - K04 Conversion System
[] - W/M Injection

My overall plan for this build is to do 2 things a month to my car, whether it's one of the big ticket items listed above or a small unlisted cosmetic/performance "upgrade"

*Update 9/7/2011*

Woke up this morning to an e-mail from Ed@NAMotorsports, said he ran my card again after telling him i talked to paypal and viola. Order confirmed, now just waiting on shipping confirmation. The intake will be comming USPS Priority which is nice but the exhaust because of its size has to come USPS parcel (which can take up to 6 week from shipping date =/). It's all good though total shipping cost was $45.

*Update 9/8/2011*

Got my notification of shipping today, i have to say hands down NAMotorsports has some of the best customer service i've ever experienced. From start to finish they were extremely helpful in figuring out the paypal payment issue and just all around able to answer all of my questions for them. I would highly recommend using these guys. Now I get to play the waiting game, hopefully the parts show up around the same time I get back into England......

(Packages accepted at Clifton Park NY, where APO packages go to die/get lost =\)

Update 9/16/2011

Well I got back into England last night and sure as sh!t my battery was beyond dead (yea yea i know forgot to disconnect it before i left.) Was able to drive it home last night and park it in my driveway and once i turned it off the battery was done.

Today started out interesting enough, went to volkswagen to see about getting a OEM battery to replace my own. Priced it at 108 GBP (about $172), only problem was that it wasn't going to be in until tuesday. Cannot wait that long so i found a tire shop that had one left (not oem but a battery is a battery.) Tossed it in, car gave some erroneous fault lights for like 5 mins then everything cleared.

I make it to check my mailbox and guess what showed up:

:grin:

Installation was extremely straight forward and easy, the hardest thing was getting that silicon ring around the MAF, its still not quiet where i want it and will take it apart tomorrow and adjust it some more.

Now just waiting on the TBE and need to find time to schedule an appointment to get my stage 2 tune.

Another issue i've noticed since i got back was rust on my rotors from lack of use =/. Hopefully spirited driving will clean that up however i have noticed a major lack in responsiveness so it might turn out to be a good excuse to upgrade the crap stock brakes... :evil:

Update 9/20/2011

Still waiting on my TBE to come in, tomorrow im going to be getting my fully loaded APR stg 2 tune but ill be stuck driving it around in stock until the exhaust comes in =/. But i've been trying to stay busy haha who would of thought waiting for parts to come in would be so lame.

Went to the Players VW UK show this past weekend with my buddy and I, new pic:

My MK6 right next to his MK1.

Also ordered some new tires today,  Yokohama ADVAN S.4. All-Season Tires. Was only $700 shipped so not too bad hopefully they will be in 1-2 weeks. Now just looking at some coil-overs i might jump the gun on. :evil:

Update 9/22/2011

So yesterday I drove to get my fully loaded Stage 2 APR tune. Got to watch the whole process being done was actually really cool to see how they do it. Got the run through of changing programs/fault clearing/security lock. Great, now i just need to wait for my TBE to show up so i can run the performance programs............

On the bright side Keith@apr let me drive his Golf R around the block, which was amazing, first time i've driven one and the first time i've driven a DSG. Kind of different but in a good way for sure.

Last night I also ordered myself a pair of Koni Coil-overs to try and make myself feel better for not being able to use my stage 2 yet :evil:. More then likely those will get here before the TBE simply because they were able to get shipped priority mail.

I guess ill just go play with the security lock feature for another couple weeks while i wait for my TBE to show up haha.

And once again top notch customer service from APR and NA Motorsports, thanks again guys.

Update 9/28/2011

So, two days ago tires came in the mail went to get a PC at the dealer to get them thrown on my rims. Unfortunately they over charge about the same price as the car care center on base (98 quid). Luckily found a place on the way home driving through the town centre for about 50 quid. On another note woke up this morning bored so i called to set up an appointment to get my tint done and low and behold he had a spot open. He also removed the gaudy pinstripe the dealer installed when i purchased the car for free:

Also these came in today:

Will be going to the auto hobby shop tomorrow to install them. :EVIL:
Now if only that TBE would show up so I can run my stg 2 tune.......

CONTINUED BELOW
« Last Edit: 16 October 2011, 21:22 by hatchfanatic06 »
APR Stg 2 // APR TBE // APR Stg 1 Carbonio CAI // KONI Coil-Overs

My Build Thread

Offline hatchfanatic06

• Not said much yet
Re: ~Driving LHD in a RHD country~ Hatchs' Build Thread
« Reply #1 on: 09 September 2011, 04:25 »
Update 9/29/2011

So about 5 hours of work and 20 quid in garage fee's, Koni Coil-overs installed:

(sorry pic is kind of crap, starting to get dark. Will get a better one posted in the AM)

It took a little longer then expected but it was the first time me or my buddy had ever worked on the suspension let alone installed Coil-Overs on a VW.

Ride feels a tad stiffer then stock but I'm very impressed. Car just needs a wash now.  :grin:

Update 10/6/2011

Well today part 1 of 2 of my exhaust came in today:

Just the Cat-Back:

So shiny:

Now hopefully the DP comes in so i can install both and enjoy my stg 2!!

Update 10/16/2011

Well finally got my TBE in and went to install it, unfortunately i broke a stud off the turbo (sheared.) ordered 4 new studs (just in case.).

On another note went to Santa Pod Raceway today for GTI Fest, didnt actually take any pictures there was too caught up with the 1/4 track. Did however take a few pics after i had gotten back. Enjoy:

Exhaust is still off a tad, but ran out of time with my helper when i was installing it. Will be fixing it proper this comming up weekend when i replace the stud.

Sadly i think only have 100 miles on the tune and mk6 gti having an adaptive ECU i dont believe i was getting the full potential of my stage 2 tune. For my first time doing 1/4 drags it was definitely fun and alot more practice would definitely improve my times. Then again FWD car it almost feels hopeless 1st gear was nothing but tire spinning 2nd gear was nothing but wheel hop.

*Update 10/27/2011*

So if its not one thing its another, I either have my car with parts in the post, or i have the parts and no car haha. Pick my car up tomorrow from the body shop but these little toys came in the mail today:

p3 boost gauge :happyanim:

and

Forge DV spacer. I realize people either hate it or love it, personally i can't hear my turbo as much with the new exhaust (which i love). But i just want to be reminded that theres a turbo in there; other then the fact that the car pulls like a beast haha. We'll see how i like it after i install tomorrow.

As for what's next I'm torn, any suggestions? Looking at:

Southbend silent stg 3 daily clutch
APR intercooler
Wheels (Tarmacs)
Golf-R tails

I'm big on cosmetics but i've made the choice to start saving for stage 3. So i'm leaning more towards starting to get the last two supporting mods i need (at a minimum.) instead of getting the cosmetics.

Will also include videos tomorrow of the boost gauge and dv spacer in action.
« Last Edit: 27 October 2011, 18:57 by hatchfanatic06 »

My Build Thread

Offline hatchfanatic06

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 09 September 2011, 04:25 »
*reserved*

My Build Thread

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #3 on: 09 September 2011, 08:53 »
Good work mate love it  :cool:  :cool:

And welcome to the forum  :smiley:

Dan
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #4 on: 09 September 2011, 10:40 »
This could turn out to be very interesting

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
« Reply #5 on: 09 September 2011, 11:16 »
Look forward to the updates and welcome to the forum.

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline brett

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 09 September 2011, 11:21 »
welcome to the forum,looking interesting ,would be nice to see when you get sorted ,only down the road in thetford lol

Offline hatchfanatic06

• Not said much yet
Re: ~Driving LHD in a RHD country~ Hatchs' MK6 GTI Build Thread
« Reply #7 on: 12 September 2011, 04:05 »
Thanks everyone, i find myself getting antsy waiting for my shipments to arrive in the post...... Almost found myself ordering more stuff, but decided to wait until i get my current parts sorted.... :evil:

My Build Thread

Offline VR6_Wherry

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 12 September 2011, 09:46 »
Looking  :cool:

Always had a soft spot for white! Even a Mk6 :tongue:

Offline hatchfanatic06

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 16 September 2011, 22:33 »
Well I got back into England last night and sure as sh!t my battery was beyond dead (yea yea i know forgot to disconnect it before i left.) Was able to drive it home last night and park it in my driveway and once i turned it off the battery was done.

Today started out interesting enough, went to volkswagen to see about getting a OEM battery to replace my own. Priced it at 108 quid, only problem was that it wasn't going to be in until tuesday. Cannot wait that long so i found a tire shop that had one left (not oem but a battery is a battery.) Tossed it in, car gave some erroneous fault lights for like 5 mins then everything cleared.

I make it to check my mailbox and guess what showed up:

:grin:

Installation was extremely straight forward and easy, the hardest thing was getting that silicon ring around the MAF, its still not quiet where i want it and will take it apart tomorrow and adjust it some more.

Now just waiting on the TBE and need to find time to schedule an appointment to get my stage 2 tune.

Another issue i've noticed since i got back was rust on my rotors from lack of use =/. Hopefully spirited driving will clean that up however i have noticed a major lack in responsiveness so it might turn out to be a good excuse to upgrade the crap stock brakes...  :evil:
« Last Edit: 17 September 2011, 00:14 by hatchfanatic06 »

My Build Thread