Author Topic: right order for detailing??  (Read 2508 times)

Offline whiter_than_white

• Here all the time
  • Seize the day or die regretting the time you lost!
right order for detailing??
« on: 21 January 2010, 20:23 »
just after some advice as i'm planning on giving my car a detailing session when the weather picks up a little, what is the best order for doing things in?? i'm wanting to give a full buff, clay, wax etc, also things like plastic trim and glass?? do you do them first or last?? also whats the easiest way not to get polish all over black trim? i always seem to do it but it doesn't always show until three or four days later when there white :(
thanks in advance

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
Re: right order for detailing??
« Reply #1 on: 21 January 2010, 20:39 »
car make, model, age and budget?

Offline dragonfly

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 21 January 2010, 20:43 »
Wash > clay > polish > glaze > (sealant optional) wax.

I tend to do the glass and trim last. As for removing polish/wax from the trim try Autoglym bumper gel, smooth peanut butter, an erasure or Black Wow.

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 21 January 2010, 20:54 »
car make, model, age and budget?

96 'p mk3 golf, car is black! as for budget, i'm not too sure?? i do have an electric varial speed buffer, with some buffing compound, i also have some auto glym ultra deep shine polish, access to some of the autosmart silver windscreen polish youve recommended in another thread too
what do you recommend guy?? ps i am a beginner at this but am willing to give it a good go

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 22 January 2010, 13:08 »
the 'buffer' you have... is it a proper polishing machine or one of those £40 jobbies from halfords?

as you car is black you could try poorboys 'black hole' - that polishes nicely and contains fillers too

as for trim... tape it using 3M trim tape before you start polishing... saves a lot of time afterwards

for trim see the sticky section for help and advice... it is the holy grail to find an definitive answer!!

what dragonfly said was the correct order - although I would pop in a quick wash after the claying to removed residue

do the glass last

for interior, if you can, get yourself a decent degreaser/APC they really do the business for lots of jobs  :wink:

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 22 January 2010, 20:55 »
cheers guy, the buffer i have is like this one --> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sealey-6-Speed-Sander-Polisher-170mm-HeavyDuty-MS700PS_W0QQitemZ230376727739QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM?hash=item35a385e4bb#ht_1563wt_960

would you use the 'poorboys' with the buffer of=r is it a manual application? if so what would you recommend for buffing?
i have some of this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FARECLA-G4-CAR-BODY-SHOP-ADVANCED-LIQUID-COMPOUND-1L_W0QQitemZ370314837572QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item56387bfe44 from work and can also get some G6 if that would be better??

as for clay, what would you reccomend?? i've looked on halfords on the net and seen megs and autoglym, which are 25-30 quid, are they good? is there better or anywhere cheaper,
sorry for all the questions, just thought id like to give it a go but want to get it right

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #6 on: 22 January 2010, 22:11 »
if your new to claying id suggest a fine or ultrafine claybar, drop waxamomo a pm and he'll sort you out for detailing supplys+ forum members get discount :wink: steer clear of halfrauds :wink:
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 22 January 2010, 22:29 »
if your new to claying id suggest a fine or ultrafine claybar, drop waxamomo a pm and he'll sort you out for detailing supplys+ forum members get discount :wink: steer clear of halfrauds :wink:

yeah, i wouldn't use there own stuff but like i say they do sell megs and autoglym clay kits, but i will drop a pm to waxamomo and see whats recomended

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #8 on: 23 January 2010, 11:26 »

yeah, i wouldn't use there own stuff but like i say they do sell megs and autoglym clay kits, but i will drop a pm to waxamomo and see whats recomended

^ i meant dont get any of your detailing gear from there, you can get better deals and better products from waxamomo and other detailing supplyers.
chris will sort you out he's a good chap and very helpfull, for clay lube i highly recomend the dodojuice born slippy 250ml refill as it makes 2.5 litres of clay lube :shocked: which will last you ages, 500ml of diluted born slippy is enough to do an estate car easily.
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 23 January 2010, 14:26 »
Cheers dubplate, so what clay would you recommend for a beginner??? My car is quite in good condition, ie no rust overspray etc so I don't think it needs to be too course,

cheers