Author Topic: GTI Mk2 16v Engine  (Read 8781 times)

Offline Huss.scala

• Not said much yet
GTI Mk2 16v Engine
« on: 05 January 2019, 19:28 »
Hello Family!!

Firstly, I apologise for being a nob, in posting an article which I'm sure has come up once or twice in the past. I have done a cheeky searchy search for similar to avoid shame and embarrassment, but no!

I have managed to ruin my 1991 16v engine; and so now in that position of needing a replacement, but what to do? I really wanted to keep the car stock, but am warming to the idea of a newer VW engine, maybe a 1.8T??  Dunno.

Does anybody out there have a circa 1991 16v engine lurking down the back of their sofas; or what other options are there for me? This is supposed to be a full resto project.

Thanks

Offline gazareth

• I live here
Re: GTI Mk2 16v Engine
« Reply #1 on: 06 January 2019, 18:59 »
whats the damage on the engine? timing belt failure/ head gasket or roasted crankshaft?

Offline gazareth

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2019, 19:09 »
forum member "jshep73" is selling a 16v engine. check out the mk2 parts for sale :wink:

Offline Huss.scala

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 07 January 2019, 10:29 »
@Gazareth, Thanks for your replies. The report back was a roasted bottom end, with bent up rods etc. As I'm sure you can tell; I'm not overly mechanically minded; I must have skills elsewhere.

I'll tap up the chap with the engine, thanks again!

Offline Simeon

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 07 January 2019, 15:29 »
A slightly more modern engine, but retaining a lot of the original character is an ABF swap - 2.0 16v from Mk3 Golf era. Better management too and very straightforward swap, you can retain all Mk2 running gear inc gearbox and flywheel. If your Mk2 is a CE2 (hazard switch on steering column) then wiring is not far off plug and play.

Offline Huss.scala

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 08 January 2019, 10:46 »
Thank you @Simeon, I thought this was an option also.

How about the 1.8T engine from any Audi A3 / TT or VW Golf.

Final Q, I promise!!!!   :grin:

Offline Simeon

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 08 January 2019, 11:10 »
Yep the 1.8t is a common swap so loads of info out there, slightly more involved than an ABF, but ultimately more tuneable. Loads of those engines around now too, so will be easier to find than an ABF.

Offline Huss.scala

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 08 January 2019, 11:30 »
Thank you so much Simeon, I really appreciate your help!

I am determined to restore my 3 door Oak Green Mk2 16v, even if it kills me!!  (Well.. slightly dramatic a statement to make really!)

Offline supadoopa_82

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 02 May 2019, 14:18 »
Thank you so much Simeon, I really appreciate your help!

I am determined to restore my 3 door Oak Green Mk2 16v, even if it kills me!!  (Well.. slightly dramatic a statement to make really!)

I'm sure its a sentiment shared amongst a lot of members on here!