Author Topic: Connecting Multiple Apple CarPlay Devices  (Read 1418 times)

Offline GTi Andy

• Not said much yet
Connecting Multiple Apple CarPlay Devices
« on: 10 October 2018, 18:56 »
When I collect my GTi which has discovery pro the plan is to use Spotify as my main music source. However I don’t fancy taking my iPhone 7 out of my pocket and pugging it in for every car journey, also I don’t like the sound quality over Bluetooth.

So if I bought a cheap 2nd hand iPhone 5, plugged that in for Spotify only could I then connect my iPhone 7 over Bluetooth for phone calls etc?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

Offline Stbb748

• Just got here
Re: Connecting Multiple Apple CarPlay Devices
« Reply #1 on: 10 October 2018, 19:33 »
I got one of these from the states. Iphone just slots in easy and connects to car. I then have waze and spotify on screen

https://www.d-docks.com/

Offline GTi Andy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 10 October 2018, 19:58 »
Thanks but not quite what I was after. The idea was for iPhone 5 or similar to stay permanently in the car and connected via the usb. Then when I get in the car I wanted my iPhone 7 which would be in my pocket to connect via Bluetooth for phone calls.

Just thought, is Spotify basically mirrored to the discover pro from the iPhone or is it a standalone app? If standalone can you log in and download music to play offline?

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 10 October 2018, 20:05 »
Not sure on the pro version and could be different but the standard system disconnects any BT device when you plug in for Apple CarPlay. Its not an overly advanced system. You can have 2 BT phones connected and use one for music and the other for calls but if you’re not happy with sound quality then won’t be an option either.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Beezer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 10 October 2018, 22:53 »
I was wondering about a similar setup and was trying to find out if it was possible to have two phones running off the same Apple ID. The idea being that the 2nd phone would ring in the same way as my iPad does when the phone rings. Not sure if this would work.

Alternatively could set up call forwarding so if someone rings the 1st phone it forwards to the 2nd phone in the car. This wouldn’t work for dialling out though.