Author Topic: Real World mpg - GTI PP DSG  (Read 9540 times)

Offline Rich 3

• Not said much yet
Real World mpg - GTI PP DSG
« on: 08 October 2018, 18:36 »
Hi all,
I am looking at possibly switching from my current BMW 430d to a Golf GTI PP (DSG), and wonder what people's typical mpg is for the said cars?
I will be using the car for mainly shortish distance trips in busy traffic, but with occasional B road blats and longer motorway runs.
The reason for asking is that I was expecting to average mid to late 30's mpg, but having looked on the VW approved used website I noticed that dashboard photographs of one particular car showed an average of 26.5 mpg!
I realise that this is a dealer car that is almost brand new and has likely been ragged from birth, and that driving style etc will have a major bearing on mpg - but, coming from a diesel I want to check what mpg I am likely to achieve in my mix of driving.
Any useful comments much appreciated.
Thanks     
2018 GTI PP dsg 5 dr DB Pearl Brecias Jacara Sunroof Privacy Glass

Offline davyk31

• I live here
Re: Real World mpg - GTI PP DSG
« Reply #1 on: 08 October 2018, 19:02 »
I don’t have a PP but just a standard GTi. Will average 35 easily and seen up to 40 on longer smooth trips. That’s with mostly A road and town driving over the 8000 miles since we bought it.
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 08 October 2018, 19:03 »
Drive it sensibly and you easily achieve high 30s. I've got a manual pp Mk7 and get mid 40s on a run every time. Mpg's do drop in the winter time though so expect around 10% less when it's cold.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 08 October 2018, 19:56 »
When you say shortish trips in busy traffic can you be a bit more specific? Do you mean lots of stopping or steady but slow moving progress? And how often do you do these trips? My commute is 5 miles but because I travel outside of the usual busy times I get a steady run at it resulting in 30 to 35mpg in the summer and down to 27 in winter. Stop start progress does impact on that but it would be difficult to predict your likely result. On a long motorway run 40 to 45 is fairly normal for me and a nice A road blast would still net late 30s. Mine is a manual though, DSG would likely drop a few mpgs.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Rich 3

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 08 October 2018, 21:06 »
Many thanks for the replies so far guys - very helpful.
To answer the question from 'Watts' and be a little more specific - my short journeys would be around 5 miles in length and a mix of fairly heavy stop start traffic and fastish flowing B roads.
Cheers

2018 GTI PP dsg 5 dr DB Pearl Brecias Jacara Sunroof Privacy Glass

Offline MKgti

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 08 October 2018, 21:16 »
We've put about 6000 miles on ours since new. The wife mainly using it for short journeys around town to friends, its averaged about 32.
When we took it to north Wales a month ago we easily got low 40's.
Collected and being driven....... Gti PP 5dr DSG Tornado red, tints and Brescia's.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 08 October 2018, 21:19 »
Many thanks for the replies so far guys - very helpful.
To answer the question from 'Watts' and be a little more specific - my short journeys would be around 5 miles in length and a mix of fairly heavy stop start traffic and fastish flowing B roads.
Cheers

You might drop below 30 on those journeys but if you do some regular longer trips I'm pretty sure overall you'll average mid 30s ish overall. Economy is a strong point in these cars along with plenty of fun :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Patagonian

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 08 October 2018, 22:09 »
Most of my journeys are across country and any commutes to work involve two traffic light queues - I get around 33/34mpg however throw in the odd motorway trip and it goes up to around 40.
Recently did 44 miles on the M3 and as I was early just cruised along, averaged 52mpg for the trip (admittedly that was motorway almost door to door).
Every time I follow my wifes 1.4 TSI on the motorway I can always beat her ......just, both are DSGs.

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 08 October 2018, 22:31 »
Throughout the summer I've been averaging 40 mpg per tank from full. Over my 6 months of ownership I've averaged 38mpg.

I do nearly all motorway miles though.

Edit - mine is a DSG PP.
« Last Edit: 08 October 2018, 23:03 by Ryan90GTI »

Offline Arnold_Lane

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 09 October 2018, 06:43 »
My PP DSG averages around mid 30's in a mix of short journeys and longer ones of around 40 miles. Note also that I run it on Tesco Momentum as on regular unleaded the fuel consumption seems one or two mpg higher.
SOLD - 67 Golf GTi PP, 5dr, DSG in Issac Blue with rear camera, keyless entry, Dynaudio, Brescia alloys & DCC.