Author Topic: 2018 GTI Performance DSG Farts & Maintenance  (Read 3637 times)

Offline DaBaws

• Not said much yet
2018 GTI Performance DSG Farts & Maintenance
« on: 17 August 2018, 23:12 »
Hi peeps,

I am currently looking at leasing a VW Golf GTI Performance DSG 5 Door.

My mileage requirements are pretty high at 20k (my commute yearly will be around 18k) therefore my lease costs are dearer than usual.

I have found a good deal for a 3+23 (10k miles) at £340 a month with an excess mileage rate of 7.68p (cheaper than having a higher initial rental).

I have two questions:

1. What would the maintenance on the GTI be like for the mileage i willl be doing? i am wondering whether its worth getting the maintenance package the lease companies offer which ranges from £55 - £90 a month.

2. The main question, i have constantly heard and read the new 2018 DSG GTI models (performance or not) do not fart when upshifting gears (due to software mods on the engine and exhaust by VW). The farts are one of the main reasons i went for the GTI model!

Will the sound be even more muffled or the power reduced after the WLTP standards? The lease currently says 12 weeks delivery, is this post WLTP testing?

Any comments would be appreciated, especially if you have any advice if you have owned or have experience with this model.

« Last Edit: 17 August 2018, 23:32 by DaBaws »

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: 2018 GTI Performance DSG Farts & Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: 18 August 2018, 08:51 »
Unless it's a stock car you definitely won't have it in 12 weeks, more like 20-30 weeks for a factory order. Don't really understand why you would only buy a car because it makes ridiculous noises on gear shifts, it's pointless and serves no purpose whatsoever but to answer your question they don't do it anymore and only a remap will change that.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 18 August 2018, 10:46 »
No upshift farts - didn't like it at first as had the 7.5 230 DSG last year and that made some great noises. But 7.5 Performance has a beefier noise, loud on start up. Theres a res delete pipe you can get which is on my list for bit more noise.

Maintenance wise - service is every 12m/10k and I paid £165 at main dealer for 1st service.
Front Tyres £90-100 each every 15-20k depending on type of driving.

Maintenance packages are ok but that sound plenty - sure they aren't normally as much as that.

Great car, very quick on twisty roads. The diff on the Performance model makes a very noticeable difference to traction. I've had so many comments from people on my Tungsten one where as my Indium Grey 230 seemed to blend in more. The red stands on more.

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 18 August 2018, 11:43 »
How many services you need will depend on whether the car is set up for longlife servicing or standard 10k or 12 months.

My GTD is set for longlife, and is currently due its first service at around 18k miles, mainly because of lots of motorway miles.

Other than that i'd expect to fork out for 2 new front tyres (maybe 4 if you drive it hard).

But remember if it's a lease car, you must hand the car back with no service lights on, and they don't like it if you put cheapo budget tyres on either, so best to stick to the well known brands.
7.5 GTD

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #4 on: 18 August 2018, 13:03 »
I despise the stupid so called 'fart' noise and always assume the driver of such a vehicle must be a complete tool :whistle:
Sorry for the mini rant, but that particular noise, along with motorbikes, ruins the peace and quiet where I live.
There is no need for it and it pisses me off :angry:

And...breathe :smiley:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 19 August 2018, 13:35 »
I despise the stupid so called 'fart' noise and always assume the driver of such a vehicle must be a complete tool :whistle:
Sorry for the mini rant, but that particular noise, along with motorbikes, ruins the peace and quiet where I live.

No strong feelings one way or the other on the subject for you then?  :grin:

Although I am childish and do like the pops and crackles on the overrun of certain cars (there’s an orange Porsche that lives near me that always makes me smile when it drives past sounding like a mini firework display) DSG farts seem to have become the whooshy dump valve noise replacement for the lad about town.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 19 August 2018, 15:05 »

No strong feelings one way or the other on the subject for you then?  :grin:

Although I am childish and do like the pops and crackles on the overrun of certain cars (there’s an orange Porsche that lives near me that always makes me smile when it drives past sounding like a mini firework display) DSG farts seem to have become the whooshy dump valve noise replacement for the lad about town.

I'm not too keen on the "farts" either although perhaps wouldn't have gone quite so far in expressing it :laugh: But like Exonian I do like a bit of character in my engines. My old Alfa Sprint with it's two twin choke Dellortos sounded good and raspy, great for the driver but discreet enough not to draw attention.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Dunc245

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 19 August 2018, 16:10 »
. .......My old Alfa Sprint with it's two twin choke Dellortos sounded good and raspy, great for the driver but discreet enough not to draw attention.
[/quote]

I hear you with that. I had an Alfa Sprint Cloverleaf and loved it. Great sounding engine and chock full of character, if not powerful. Of course, the body fell to pieces a little each time it even cought sight of a bucket n sponge oming near it, but happy days. 
GTI PP 245; Atlantic Blue, Art Velours, Climate windscreen, KSS, genuine 18" Black Pretoria.

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 19 August 2018, 16:42 »

Don't be such a boring old DSG fart :grin:

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 19 August 2018, 17:12 »
. .......My old Alfa Sprint with it's two twin choke Dellortos sounded good and raspy, great for the driver but discreet enough not to draw attention.

I hear you with that. I had an Alfa Sprint Cloverleaf and loved it. Great sounding engine and chock full of character, if not powerful. Of course, the body fell to pieces a little each time it even cought sight of a bucket n sponge oming near it, but happy days.
[/quote]

By far and away the worst car I've ever had the misfortune to own (read stupidity to buy). Rust while not actually too bad but did need a fair few hundreds of pounds spent, stupid front inboard disc brakes that needed regular adjustment, front suspension top mounts that fell apart every few years, seats that sagged, electrical gremlins, even a spring broke in the door lock that would let the door swing open whilst going around tight bends! I absolutely loved it :smiley: :grin: :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.