Author Topic: GTi or R  (Read 15750 times)

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: GTi or R
« Reply #30 on: 14 August 2018, 11:38 »
Just because cars get to 3 years old doesn't mean they are going to start to self destruct. An MOT ought to be a formality
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
« Reply #31 on: 14 August 2018, 12:22 »
Just because cars get to 3 years old doesn't mean they are going to start to self destruct. An MOT ought to be a formality

Agreed.  At an MOT shouldn't be the first time that you find out your car needs tyres, brakes, coil springs/drop links etc.  How many times have you actually made a claim for anything under manufacturer's warranty too?
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 14 August 2018, 12:41 »
I’ve had 3 Golfs and kept each one 4-5 years, so have put each one through at least one MOT and none of them had an extended warranty (so running without warranty for up to two years). They all passed each MOT with no advisories, and none of them required a visit to the dealer for anything other than servicing/MOT in the fourth year of ownership.

I know there’s no guarantee that a car will be problem free once it reaches 3 years old and many owners wouldn’t want to run a car without it having benefit of the manufacturers warranty, but in the OP’s position, I think I would’ve extended the lease for a few months on the GTD and ordered the R for a March 2019 delivery.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 14 August 2018, 16:02 »
Thanks for all the feedback, suggestions and info.

The only option was to agree to a 24 month lease on another GTD for cheap money. It isn't something we wanted to do but there are few other options. We looked at the cars that are available from stock and have to admit we are not keen on buying a bog standard spec car so we have decided to run with the GTD and will put an order in for the Golf R when things settle down next year.

Well what a pointless thread this turned out to be....  :rolleyes:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Madpig

• Not said much yet
« Reply #34 on: 14 August 2018, 19:15 »
When considering which version to buy (deal not finalised as yet although I’m pretty close) I test drove both.

Back in April when I first started looking at these beasts I test drove the GTI performance manual (which is the version I really want being a bit of a petrol headed animal) and was seriously impressed given the fact that it only had 245 bhp. However, being inquisitive, I really wanted to test drive a R but the opportunity didn’t present itself until last Friday when the dealer I’d approached in April had one. Unfortunately it was an auto (I understand you can’t buy a manual new now) and I was pretty underwhelmed to be fair. OK, if you put your foot down it goes but (for me) lacked the pure fun of the performance GTI.
Some of you may think it odd that I keep saying “only” but that’s because my current car is running around 375 bhp. It’s a fantastic car and if I was minted I’d be keeping it but the PCP deal finishes in December so it’s got to go as I can’t afford to pay the “balloon” payment.
However, judging by my test drives and my colleague’s kindness today I’m 95% certain I’ll be joining the ranks of you guys!!
Let’s hope you’re all animal friendly......

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 14 August 2018, 20:31 »
Some of you may think it odd that I keep saying “only” but that’s because my current car is running around 375 bhp. It’s a fantastic car and if I was minted I’d be keeping it but the PCP deal finishes in December so it’s got to go as I can’t afford to pay the “balloon” payment.
However, judging by my test drives and my colleague’s kindness today I’m 95% certain I’ll be joining the ranks of you guys!!
Let’s hope you’re all animal friendly......

Well you can't say things like that and then not tell us all what your current car is   :whistle:

Unless it's something really exotic, surely it's going to cost less to finance the balloon payment for that rather than finance an entire new car?
7.5 GTD

Offline Madpig

• Not said much yet
« Reply #36 on: 14 August 2018, 22:25 »
Well Mr Guzzle.....I suppose that’s fair enough.

My current car is a RS Focus MP375 which is very quick to say the least and I’ve had two years fun with it.

Time for a change however and the new GTI performance will fit the bill nicely me thinks.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #37 on: 15 August 2018, 06:26 »
If I was young enough to not look stupid in the Focus, I would be keeping that. Never mind getting all dripped up on another new car, shop around for some cheap loan deals and enjoy the Ford for longer.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Jeffers40

• Not said much yet
« Reply #38 on: 15 August 2018, 08:23 »
Well Mr Guzzle.....I suppose that’s fair enough.

My current car is a RS Focus MP375 which is very quick to say the least and I’ve had two years fun with it.

Time for a change however and the new GTI performance will fit the bill nicely me thinks.

Hey Madpig, I currently own a Focus RS MP375 and a manual GTi Clubsport Edition 40. I like you wanted the GTi due to it being 'more fun' to drive and at lower speeds than say the R or RS is fun to drive at. I have never really got on with my RS, yes it's fast but the suspension is so badly damped and the steering way too sensitive for it to be fun on the type of winding back roads I have on my doorstep up here in Scotland. The car just doesn't flow down a road as it bounces its way from bump to camber !!

The Clubsport Ed40 on the other hand is a real blast to drive, I really like it and kind of reminds me of my old Mk1 FRS I used to own back in the day. It's such a nice car to drive that I'd suggest that you look for one of these if you can stretch to the extra you will pay over a regular GTi  :cool:
2016 GTi Clubsport Edition 40

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #39 on: 15 August 2018, 09:13 »
Very different cars the RS and the GTI.

One of my colleagues has an RS and yes its a hoot, but the refinement of a performance Golf is something else. There's more to it than just a BHP figure - its genuinely a nice place to be and loaded with the comforts that will be more use everyday than a sharpened track tool.

I expect you'll have more confidence of it still being there when you come back to the car park too..

I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC