Author Topic: GTi or R  (Read 15593 times)

Offline Ikura

• Not said much yet
GTi or R
« on: 07 August 2018, 17:58 »
Hi Guys,
Having decided that the current GTD is our last one we will be ordering a GTi or R in the next couple of weeks.
The lead times on both cars is pretty long but we can extend our GTD lease month by month so it isn't a big problem.
We just can not decide on which car is the best to have as a long term buy, as in 6+ years or so.
Leasing has become expensive now we have de-registered for VAT and it actually works out about the same to buy the car as it does to lease it and there will always be some residual value in the car we buy so it's a no-brainer really.

My wife likes the DSG Golf R but while I like it, I have always driven manual cars, apart from a Tiguan that I really didn't like at all, especially round country roads. I thought the manual GTi was a much nicer car to drive, but then she thinks I drive too fast anyway.

Anyone fancy offering some advice, even if it's rude?

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: GTi or R
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2018, 18:18 »
Can you even order a GTi at the minute? Might be worth checking the lead times due to WLTP cross over.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2018, 18:18 »
We can all tell you which car we prefer. But if you want a manual then GTI is the only option.

What are the main criteria besides gearbox?
7.5 GTD

Offline Ikura

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2018, 18:31 »
We have been quoted 17/18 week delivery on either car by a couple of VW dealers.

I guess my question is how reliable is a DSG gearbox over a long term ownership? Apart from preferring a manual car I am happy to have a DSG if it keeps the peace in the house. I just prefer to drive a manual but can adapt.

Not looking at hot rod driving or madly thrashing a car up the motorway but we live in a rural area and I drive to the airfield I fly from regularly so the Golf GTD is perfect for whipping past slow drivers without worrying that I won't make it and having done exactly the same drive a couple of times in the GTi and R I just know I will use the power now and then.

I must admit the R was very sure footed and it was the most grippy car I have ever driven. The GTi felt lighter and perhaps more nimble and didn't seem to lack much speed when compared with the R. The GTi was also quieter and felt more silky to drive, where the R was more grunty and felt like it wanted to go quick to feel as settled as the GTi.

I don't know if this makes much sense and I do know either car will be good to own.

Long term ownership? I just don't know which is best.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 07 August 2018, 18:34 »
Only you can say what you want!

If you want a manual R perhaps the dealer network will have one somewhere either unregistered or minimal miles? But if your wife thinks you drive the GTD too fast, what will she make of an R? :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 07 August 2018, 18:50 »
I have an R and have driven my sisters GTI, its not a PP one so that might make a difference. I have found that i prefer the R over the  GTI the reasons are: Traffic light starts in the rain are amazing in the R, the front wheel spin in the GTI over a round about was terrible, it is true the GTI it does feel more nimble, but in the same sentence the R feels more planted, power is way better 80bhp more (1/3 more). They are both DSG too, servicing a GTI will be cheaper no Haldex to do, the GTI does do better miles to the gallon and has a bigger boot die to the lack of 4WD.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline Patagonian

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 07 August 2018, 19:52 »
I think you have to be very honest with yourself about your driving style and how you will use the car.
I went for the GTI PP DSG because it's fast enough (where I live anyway), fuel consumption is excellent, grip is very good (once you get PS4's fitted), the DSG is effortless when I'm crawling in traffic on the M3 and I love the paddles when I hit the open road :-)
Yes I would love an R but given the small percentage of time (and it seems to decreasing rapidly) when I could actually use the performance I'd rather have the economy of the GTI.

Horses for courses really. Good luck making the decision!

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 07 August 2018, 21:51 »
If your wife thinks you drive too fast, then perhaps you should drive a little slower with her in the car.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 07 August 2018, 22:20 »
I test drove a pp GTi and an R and still bought the GTi pp. Yes the R is quicker has 4wd and felt a bit more planted but the GTi is lighter and with the pp diff you won't miss the 4wd. Drive it sensibly and you'll get high 30s mpg around town which you won't get from an R.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #9 on: 07 August 2018, 23:17 »
^ Thats why I would go for the GTI too. Also you don't have to explain to non car people what a GTI is like you do an R.
If you weren't in a hurry and it was me I would wait for more news of the GTI TCR availability but thats just me.
« Last Edit: 07 August 2018, 23:19 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.