Author Topic: Golfs - what do you like?  (Read 5938 times)

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
Re: Golfs - what do you like?
« Reply #30 on: 07 August 2018, 08:24 »
Cheers Guzzle

When I bought my present car the salesman (a friend) told me it was the first new Golf had been ordered with leather seats in over 2000 sales and the first bought outright and not leased.
Over a coffee he said everyone is leasing these days, gone are the days when youngsters worked themselves up to a new car, nowadays they want new everything, phone, car, even a house, nobody is prepared to save and wait anymore.

Perhaps in a few years time when I finally change to an automatic/dsg I will look into PCP/PCH for a Bentley Continental (or probably just another Golf  :smiley:).

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Golfs - what do you like?
« Reply #31 on: 07 August 2018, 09:00 »
I think we've had this conversation on here several times before (someone talking about "cash is king")...

As others have said, its all about working out how its most cost effective to drive the car you want (and then obviously seeing if its affordable to do so).

Even if you had big piles of cash lying around, its only worth spending your capital if its not performing better where you have it vs the cost of borrowing money for whatever thing you desire/need next.

When you are talking the amounts for cars, its perfectly possible that you could have your savings performing better than spending it on a steeply depreciating asset like a car.

I used to have this discussion with my parents who were always "borrowing is a sin"... its a very old fashioned moral point of view and doesn't make sense when you are trying to get the most out of whatever money you have.

I'm not quite as clever as MonkeyHanger when it comes to this stuff, but I do lay out all my options for maximum performance.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC