Author Topic: Clubsport Edition 40 Overboost Question  (Read 11135 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Clubsport Edition 40 Overboost Question
« Reply #10 on: 02 August 2018, 11:23 »
The R's appeal is the AWD period which you won't get with any other performance Golf, it's certainly not the sharp looks or focused character.

I wonder, what if VW matched BMW and said you can just add AWD to any model for $$$$$$...

Of course its technically possible, these cars are fully modular.

Golf 1.1 Match AWD :D
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #11 on: 02 August 2018, 12:45 »
The R's appeal is the AWD period which you won't get with any other performance Golf, it's certainly not the sharp looks or focused character.

I wonder, what if VW matched BMW and said you can just add AWD to any model for $$$$$$...

Of course its technically possible, these cars are fully modular.

Golf 1.1 Match AWD :D

Completely off-topic but hey...

The thing here is, BMW has a much more extended model range (say of the 3-series) that can satisfy different power needs (320i, 330i, 340i, 320d, 330d, 335d) and yet keep (at worst) a safe 100+bhp deficit compared to the series flagship, so offering AWD is not threatening any M3 or M4 (funnily those aren't even AWD, at least yet!), let alone all the differences in setup and dynamics.

Looking at the Golfs, the first version which confidently steps into the performance class is the GTI. 65bhp and a mere 20Nm down from a R while dynamically - although there are differences - there is not much between them and if anything, the Clubsport was actually a better drive than both. So If a GTI AWD existed, I bet several owners would see the jump to a R un-necessary and for that I don't think it's going to happen soon. Then again, at the pace bhp is increasing currently, AWD will be a necessity sooner or later. If/When that happens, WV would have to differentiate the R a lot more (styling and drive-wise) to keep its flagship status intact.

« Last Edit: 02 August 2018, 12:47 by scanesare »

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 02 August 2018, 15:00 »
You don't necessarily have to go to an R just because of higher bhp. The PP diff will handle the Rs bhp no problem.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
« Reply #13 on: 02 August 2018, 15:15 »
You don't necessarily have to go to an R just because of higher bhp. The PP diff will handle the Rs bhp no problem.

And then some...  :wink:

https://youtu.be/SGy0wL303dE
Golf GTI CS40 #010 | Manual | 5 door | Pure White | Car-Net | 90% tints | Winter Pack | REVO stage 1

Offline Jeffers40

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 02 August 2018, 15:30 »
An AWD GTi is essentially just an R isn't it ?

The reason I bought the GTi was because it wasn't AWD, makes it more fun to drive rather than just putting your foot flat to the floor and not having to worry about anything. Most high performance cars are now way too fast to drive in a spirited fashion on the road. I'm having way more fun in a lower powered car with traction limitations  :evil:
2016 GTi Clubsport Edition 40

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 02 August 2018, 16:13 »

Perhaps not quite the point but it looked really good in silver!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #16 on: 02 August 2018, 16:20 »

The diff can only provide cornering grip (rotational difference between left/right axle) and it does it excellently. For traction and elimination of wheel-spin you need AWD from anything close to 250bhp and above if you want to use all of your power under all circumstances.

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #17 on: 02 August 2018, 16:22 »

Youtube videos are nice but try burying your foot in anything below 4th gear in that car and a TCS light flashing and throttle closing are guaranteed. And that's the best scenario on warm and dry roads, not even speaking about low speed corners or rainy conditions.
« Last Edit: 02 August 2018, 16:29 by scanesare »

Offline Jeffers40

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 03 August 2018, 07:46 »
But that's 1/2 the fun of driving though isn't it ? learning a bit of throttle control and feeding in the power just below the point you loose traction and actually being involved in the driving process rather than just burying the throttle and expecting the car to do everything for you ?

Well it is with me but maybe I'm just getting old  :cry: the Xbox playing youth of today just want easy speed, Ok I'll get my zimmer frame now....
2016 GTi Clubsport Edition 40

Offline CS#303

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 03 August 2018, 11:38 »
Hi Jeffers40, all,

I had my CS40 from new and always wondered about this same thing, the 'power meter' thing doesn't help as it only goes as high as the 'underboost', whatever mode the car is in or whatever you are doing to the throttle!!

As Scanesare says watching the boost (although difficult o do whilst driving) is the best way.

I do wonder what the power meter on an "R", Clubsport S or a mapped CS does though, and how high it goes.

Anyway hope you love the car as much as I love mine!  :grin:

Jason.