Author Topic: Service Costs  (Read 1474 times)

Offline WD-40

• Not said much yet
Service Costs
« on: 17 May 2018, 15:24 »
Sorry if this has been asked a gazillion times before, but I can only find posts relating to the service plans (which it sounds like most people have...)

Anyway, for those that don't have a service plan, such as myself, what sort of prices should I be expecting for servicing?

My CS has just ticked over 18,000mi and is 14 months old, and the DIS says I'm due an oil change service in 500mi or 77 days and an inspection in 11200mi or 77 days.

It received its service 1 by the selling dealer at 5 months old and 9,000 miles according to the service book, just before I bought it. I'm not sure if it was due then on mileage or whether they just did it.

I rang my local VW dealer but went through to a central switchboard and they seemed confused as to what service I needed, and quoted £299. Does this sound right for what I assume is a Service 2?

I then asked for a price supplying my own oil and its fair to say they weren't keen and said they couldn't quote in advance and it would be depend on how much oil they put in, which sounded like complete cobblers if I'm supplying the oil, but I couldn't be bothered to argue and hasn't given me much confidence...

Any advice gratefully received - I'm based in Bucks (near Aylesbury) if anyone has any local experience
Current:
2018 BMW M2
2002 Porsche 911 (996) Carrera 4

Ex:
2017 GTI Clubsport Edition 40 #645, MG Midget, Audi S4 Avant, Mercedes-AMG C63, Porsche Cayman S Sport, BMW Z4MR, Honda S2000, Alfa Romeo GTV, Peugeot 106 Rallye, Austin Mini E amongst others

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Service Costs
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2018, 16:01 »
They are a bit cheeky with their service schedules...

Oil change is one thing. Just an oil change.

"Service inspection" is just that - an inspection of the car looking for anything broken that may or may not be a warranty issue. Things like worn brakepads or tyres or wipers are a chance for them to charge you money.

Both are done on mileage or time elapsed if the mileage isn't achieved.

I think one of items in the schedule further down the line is pollen filter change, but thats about it.

People think "servicing" is actually doing some work - these days its mainly looking for work and charging you to look.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2018, 16:42 »
I just got quoted £364 from VW West London for a Major service and MOT combined on my 4 year old GTI.

He said he added a bit of discount, looks like he did knock off £19

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/fixed-price-servicing
« Last Edit: 17 May 2018, 16:45 by 2007GTI »
2014 Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr in Carbon Grey, 18s, leather

Gone but not forgotten '07 Mk5 GTI DSG (2006 to 2014)

Offline dereks

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2018, 18:38 »
The fixed prices for the 3yo+ are fairly reasonable to keep the dealer history.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2018, 14:55 »
I had a bit of an odd experience in mid-March when I took my ED40 in for its first service.
It was an odd weekend full stop but that's neither here nor there.

I dropped the car down for a service on a Saturday morning into my local dealer. Normally I'll use this same dealer, I'd book in during the week and take a loan car for the day just for the hell of it. But for some reason I decided I'd drop it down first thing on a Saturday morning after a night shift.
They'll sometimes offer a 5% discount for a "loyal" customer but I didn't negotiate anything this time round as I couldn't be bothered.

I dropped it down on the Saturday morning easily enough, they said they'd get it done ASAP as it forecast heavy snow in the afternoon.
Sure enough a few hours later the phone call came through and I was told the car was ready. They'd not washed it as requested but had given it a jet wash for inspection purposes as the thing was plastered in road salt.
Wifey dropped me down and I wandered in to collect the car just as it was starting to crap it down with snow.

The service guy was really friendly and took a bit of interest in the ED40 then he presented me with the bill.

Totally unexpectedly he'd knocked about £30 or a bit more off the bill.
Now that's a first!

Dealers can be weird!

My general experiences are they'll offer a bit of discount off servicing, especially if you don't want a loan car, but sometimes you have to push them a bit for it. If you ring for a quote before booking it in they'll sometimes offer a headline discount just to hook you in to booking, but then again that also can depend on how busy they are.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner