Author Topic: Moving from a TDI to a GTI - at last!  (Read 6755 times)

Offline MrBinks

• Not said much yet
  • Mk7 GTI PP
Moving from a TDI to a GTI - at last!
« on: 09 May 2018, 17:50 »
Apologies for starting a new thread, which is probably a little unnecessary, but I'm excited and wanted to shout somewhere...

I've just put down a deposit for a '16 plate Golf GTI PP.
Specced with heated seats, sat nav, keyless and DCC.

I've been looking to move on from my Mk7 TDI for a while now and with a change in commute circumstance meaning I only need to cover 60 miles 3 days a week instead of 5, I've decided to start looking at something else. Only sticking point was the negative equity my current PCP was in. VW advised I could VT, so VT is what I am going to be doing.

The GTI I've ordered is miles away in Norfolk, but at a shade over 19.5k from an approved VW dealer it seemed a pretty good deal to me. Hoping I've not been taken for a ride, though the excitement is definitely outweighing any negative thoughts at the mo.

I've spent the last 4 weeks flitting to and from Focus ST to GTI and back again. Test drove both, thought they were both a lot of fun, but didn't think I could justify the extra for a GTI until I started looking at 16's rather than 2017 models.

So sorry for creating yet another topic but... WWOOOOO!

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
Re: Moving from a TDI to a GTI - at last!
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2018, 18:01 »
You won't be disappointed, or at least you shouldn't be if the car you are buying is a good example of a 16 plate GTI :smiley:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2018, 19:07 »
Just done the same myself (albeit from a 2016 GTD to a GTI).

The GTI really is everything anyone ever said about it. My only regret is that I should have made the change sooner.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline MrBinks

• Not said much yet
  • Mk7 GTI PP
« Reply #3 on: 09 May 2018, 19:10 »
You won't be disappointed, or at least you shouldn't be if the car you are buying is a good example of a 16 plate GTI :smiley:

The dealer did a fantastically detailed 7min walk around vid for me and it looked immaculate. Fingers crossed! 20k on the clock, which is higher than I'd have liked but probably about average for a 2 year old car.

Offline MrBinks

• Not said much yet
  • Mk7 GTI PP
« Reply #4 on: 09 May 2018, 19:11 »
Just done the same myself (albeit from a 2016 GTD to a GTI).

The GTI really is everything anyone ever said about it. My only regret is that I should have made the change sooner.

That's great to hear. The model I test drove the other week was so much more engaging than the TDI I have.

Offline cossiegaz82

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 09 May 2018, 21:01 »
I've only had my 16 plate GTI Performance Pack for just over 2 months now after coming from a 66 plate Focus ST3 and while my Golf seems to be a better built car and is a nicer car to drive normally, the ST felt a much quicker car to drive hard and seemed to handle that little bit sharper too although the electronic slip diff in the Golf allows it to put the power down better out of the corners, it reminds me a little of my old mk1 Focus RS (should never have sold that!  :cry:).

I don't think the Golf is much slower than the ST but it doesn't feel as quick due to the smoother power delivery. It's miles better on fuel than the ST though! I can easily get between 380-400 miles to a tank compared to 310-320 miles in the ST.

One thing that is crap on the Golf compared to the ST is the sound quality of the stereo, it sounds like a wet fart with the volume up! Even my VW Transporter work van's stereo is better than the Golf!  :grin:

All in all though, pretty pleased overall (apart from having to have the bonnet, roof and spoiler painted after only having it 2 months!  :angry:). Getting itchy fingers now though, I think I'll be starting to play with it soon as I can't leave anything alone! Lol!

It'll be a lot better to drive than your old diesel though, I'm sure you'll agree once you get it  :smiley:

Offline MrBinks

• Not said much yet
  • Mk7 GTI PP
« Reply #6 on: 09 May 2018, 21:49 »
Great to see that you’re getting better MPG over the ST. Another tick in the justification box.

Offline R1JIM

• Not said much yet
  • MK7.5 GTI PP
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2018, 07:24 »
Is it at Robinson’s Norwich ?? 

Go for it , not wanting to upset any one but I really think all diesels will plummet in price and desirability over then next few years.

People could have some big shocks with residual values and PCP
2018 7.5 GTI PP DSG Pure white  Bressicas Art Velour

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2018, 07:41 »
That was one (of many reasons) why I changed.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline MrBinks

• Not said much yet
  • Mk7 GTI PP
« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2018, 08:08 »
Yup, I make you right. The diesel scandal surrounding VW alone was enough to stick me in massive negative equity when, by all my calculations 4 years ago I should have been safe or up by now. There's a lot of stigma attached to buying one now.

Just hoping the inspection man is in a good mood when he comes to evaluate the car. 2 dealers have looked over it in the past 2 weeks and told me it was in good condition, but still I feel nervous about it.