Author Topic: DataPlug?  (Read 3311 times)

Offline GTI_Ant

• GTI forum regular
Re: DataPlug?
« Reply #10 on: 17 February 2018, 20:11 »
I've installed it on my new R and will try it out for a month.  I hope it doesn't draw current when the ignition is switched off, and drain the battery - I noticed an LED briefly light up when I plugged it in.  I would have thought the OBD port would have no power on it with the ignition switched off?
GTi Clubsport DCC winter pack rear camera
Previous:
7.5R 3dr DSG DPB Prets Dynaudio
MK7 GTI PP Tungsten Silver Manual Nav Dynaudio Winter Pack Park Assist

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 18 February 2018, 11:38 »
I've installed it on my new R and will try it out for a month.  I hope it doesn't draw current when the ignition is switched off, and drain the battery - I noticed an LED briefly light up when I plugged it in.  I would have thought the OBD port would have no power on it with the ignition switched off?

I left my OBDeleven in the car and the next day the battery was dead but the data plug must have some sort of switch to turn it off when the car is off.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 18 February 2018, 12:36 »

I left my OBDeleven in the car and the next day the battery was dead but the data plug must have some sort of switch to turn it off when the car is off.
surely it would go into low profile mode when it senses the ignition off on the canbus

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 18 February 2018, 14:10 »
It goes to the trouble of showing you the battery voltage at the end of your last trip, so it would be rather rude of it to reduce this to useless before you got back to the car! I reckon VW would have thought of that one.

Mine never gave me any trouble, of this sort, while it was fitted and the car was left for a few days, sometimes, so I wouldn't consider battery discharge to be a potential problem.

You cannot connect with the device with the ignition off.
« Last Edit: 18 February 2018, 14:22 by Talk-torque »
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 18 February 2018, 18:43 »

surely it would go into low profile mode when it senses the ignition off on the canbus

If you're talking about the data plug then yes it must have, if you're talking about OBDeleven then not so sure because it ran my battery down.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 18 February 2018, 21:41 »
I was thinking of putting a extra obdeleven port in mine with a switched live instead of a permanent one so I could leave the obdeleven plugged in all the time, thinking about it I could always pull the fuse to the diagnostic and run a link from that fuse socket to a switched fuse socket so that I wouldn’t have to run any more leads