Author Topic: Any way to tell if gearknob is genuine OEM?  (Read 3272 times)

Offline CitizenKane

• Not said much yet
Any way to tell if gearknob is genuine OEM?
« on: 09 February 2018, 10:40 »
Hi,

I bought a Bora gear knob from eBay which was (according to the ad, and not to mention the price that I paid for it) genuine OEM with part no. 1J0711113CFEU. It arrived yesterday and I noticed that I can't see the part number imprinted anywhere, and it didn't come in a VAG box or with any paperwork or anything.

So it has occurred to me that I have no way of knowing whether the part is actually genuine. Apart from the above there is nothing about it that would lead me to think it's not genuine, the quality and fitment all seems great, but then I've seen some very good quality replicas too.

Should the part number be imprinted somewhere and if so where? Or failing that is there any other way of confirming the part is genuine OEM?

Thanks
« Last Edit: 09 February 2018, 10:42 by CitizenKane »

Offline CitizenKane

• Not said much yet
Re: Any way to tell if gearknob is genuine OEM?
« Reply #1 on: 12 February 2018, 12:16 »
Not to worry... whether it was genuine or not it turned out not to fit anyway. Apparently there are different sized gear knobs for the Mk4, and the one I bought had a 23mm fitment instead of the 12mm fitment that my car needed.

Can anyone explain to me which cars use which size gear knob? The one I bought from eBay made no mention of size but just said that it was a genuine OEM part that would fit Mk4 Boras and Golfs, which I assumed was enough.