Author Topic: 2003 2.0 GTi MkIV battery/alternator issues  (Read 945 times)

Offline Clinton78

• Just got here
2003 2.0 GTi MkIV battery/alternator issues
« on: 17 January 2018, 16:35 »
Hi guys,

My Golf was sitting for a while and the battery was dead. I knew the battery was old so I just opted to buy a new one. I was advised to buy a high-performance battery so bought a "Bosch S5005 Silver Calcium, High Power Battery".

I installed it and took the car for a run. After a while, the "ALTERNATOR" - "WORKSHOP" warning light started flashing and beeping. It does this after driving the car for a few minutes.

Please excuse my ignorance as I am not very clued up on the finer aspects of engines etc, but because I fitted a high-performance battery does that mean I need an uprated alternator rather than the existing factory standard alternator in my Golf?

Or, is the alternator just on the blink and I just need a new one?

Cheers in advance for any advice. :)

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Re: 2003 2.0 GTi MkIV battery/alternator issues
« Reply #1 on: 18 January 2018, 15:41 »
Your Bosch battery isn't really all that much high performance. It's just a decent quality standard battery.

I would guess your alternator is on the blink. Most likely the regulator, if you're lucky you can replace separately (assuming the rings are ok).
09/2016 Golf VII GTD DSG 50k miles

Gone: 11/2013 Golf VII Variant GT 2.0 TDI pacific blue - 123k miles

DASH SWAPS and KEYS LEARNING for most VWs up to MY2005 even if you don't have the PIN - FAULT CODES - ADAPTATIONS -  Windows via remote fob for Golf 4 and other 2000s VAGs -OXON and the whole country

Offline Clinton78

• Just got here
Re: 2003 2.0 GTi MkIV battery/alternator issues
« Reply #2 on: 18 January 2018, 16:55 »
Thanks itavaltalainen! :)