Author Topic: Bought my first mk4 golf  (Read 53874 times)

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: Bought my first mk4 golf
« Reply #20 on: 28 March 2016, 18:52 »
Have you pulled the clip out and seen if the oring is in good condition. No splits on the underside of them pipes either are there

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
  • 2003 Golf MK4 GTTDI ARL (PD150)
« Reply #21 on: 28 March 2016, 19:22 »
Have you pulled the clip out and seen if the oring is in good condition. No splits on the underside of them pipes either are there

of the fuel filter? I had a new one with new O rings fitted on Thurs, problem still there.

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 31 March 2016, 17:50 »
Ok, so oil an filter changed, car insured so drove it for the first time. Made it home without stalling or hesitating but was only a 5 mile trip although there were plenty of hills I didn't push the car at all. There were puffs of white/blue smoke occasionally but they seemed to stop about half way home. The trip computer was reset and after my drive home showed average speed of 14mph, 24.8mpg, -:--mpg, 5mi, 23mins. I will have a look in the manual to see what these mean, but the 5mi I'm hoping is the miles I have done (5.4 miles on the normal mileage counter) and not how much miles it thinks is left as the fuel gauge is showing half a tank.
Another thing, which is a major issue but a bit annoying, when I unlock the car with the keyfob the drivers door unlocks, when I press it a second time, nothing happens (noises and flashing lights but passenger door does not unlock). Both doors unlock fine using the key and the button on the drivers door by the window switches, but not on the keyfob, any ideas?
Overall was a nice car to drive, although was over cautious as I don't want to kill it.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #23 on: 31 March 2016, 19:35 »
Check the ccm. Dnt know where they are on golfs. Been reading all day because of my passat doing same thing but with the key not the fob.

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #24 on: 01 April 2016, 21:14 »
will have a look for the CCM, checked and the boot doesnt open off the fob either.
Driving to work, pulled onto dual carriageway and car started to judder under acceleration and power was way down then power steering went, battery light came on and it stopped. AA towed me to work, no fuel was coming out of filter to engine even though gauge is showing half a tank of diesel. He checked pump and it was priming so he added fuel primed it a few times and with hose off fuel filter diesel came out, put hose on and car started. Looks like fuel gauge is broke as with £10 added it still sat on half a tank.
How does the fuel gauge work, it's empty when ignition is off and goes up to just under half a tank when ignition is on. He added 2 fuel cans and it didn't go up more, the car was idling for a good few minutes and it still didn't go up.

Don't know if this is any help as I had a fair few things monitoring but this is my graph on Torque for my trip in this morning, maybe one of you can see something obvious?

the fuel filter was still hissing, the AA guy didnt think it was coming from there but when he put his cloth over the hoses the noise stopped. he also noticed when revving the fuel outlet hose from the filter was bubbling, which he stopped by moving the clip a bit closer, so maybe an air bubble was getting in the system causing it to stall?
« Last Edit: 01 April 2016, 21:22 by paradisiac82 »

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #25 on: 01 April 2016, 21:29 »
U seem to have the same sortof issue as my passat. I forget have you scanned it. I found 5 codes no eml. Also I scanned the instrument panel and found a code with relates to fuel pump relay or wiring that makes them go down on power and generally play up.
The gragh seem OK except the mass drop on the lightblue (colour blind, could be different)

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 01 April 2016, 21:37 »
it was scanned and had coolant and MAP sensor faults, replaced them and no codes now. checked again after breaking down and still no codes found :( The mass drop in blue is RPM i think, which is when engine cut out so think thats normal.

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 02 April 2016, 18:56 »
would crank sensor cause these issues?

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #28 on: 02 April 2016, 19:44 »
When it was hot it would cause issues more than when cold.

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #29 on: 02 April 2016, 20:18 »
When it was hot it would cause issues more than when cold.

It only cuts out when hot, has never done it from cold, always been after a good 10 minutes driving, although always being on a hill is the bit that throws me.
Also idle is a bit random, even after 1st non start, it starts every time but always seems like low revs (around 700-850rpm) for a few seconds then settles on 900-980rpm. Engine does move A LOT, which I'm not convinced is normal. The engine rattle is still a bit worrying as I was told the cam doesn't look badly worn, what else could be causing it?