Author Topic: Perished grommet on tailgate  (Read 24036 times)

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Re: Perished grommet on tailgate
« Reply #10 on: 28 February 2016, 00:07 »
Thats interesting C2K.
Mine was perished but still holding together then I literally just poked at it and it crumbled.
Yet there is no sign of rubbing on the corresponding rubber trim.
Thanks for having a look.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline stokeballoon

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 28 February 2016, 09:33 »
As said, This is the drain for the rear camera.  Inside the boot lid is a tube that attaches to the camera and runs to this grommet. 

We found out the hard way when fitting RVC's to mk5's back in the day, without this attached, the boot gets wet. 

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 28 February 2016, 09:37 »
As said, This is the drain for the rear camera.  Inside the boot lid is a tube that attaches to the camera and runs to this grommet. 

We found out the hard way when fitting RVC's to mk5's back in the day, without this attached, the boot gets wet.

Cheers.
Do you mean wet as in soaken wet and would you see where the water had been trickling down to the boot?
I only ask as my boot is soaken and I'm starting to wonder if its this thats caused it but there is no trace of anything higher than the boot floor that is wet.

HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline stokeballoon

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 28 February 2016, 09:46 »

Cheers.
Do you mean wet as in soaken wet and would you see where the water had been trickling down to the boot?
I only ask as my boot is soaken and I'm starting to wonder if its this thats caused it but there is no trace of anything higher than the boot floor that is wet.
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=259354.msg2532346#msg2532346

We found out early enough, not to cause any damage, but water would get into the boot, the grommet is there to act as a fixture for the drain pipe, the pipe attaches to the camera underside and to the grommet.  Effectively guiding the water the correct side of the seal.

I seem to remember a chap having problems with the sealing around the hinges.  His boot was soaking.

It was in a build thread on here, a red Gti? He was Irish I think.

Found it, post 25 on this thread

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3266&page=2

Offline stokeballoon

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 28 February 2016, 09:50 »
The grommet missing certainly won't help the issue.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 28 February 2016, 10:19 »
Brilliant great find. I knew I'd read about the same thing somewhere.

He's also posted a thread about it on this forum http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=269686.msg2472945#msg2472945
which I got from searching phrases he'd used on the other forum.

Certainly looks a likely candidate. I'm just hoping VW are aware of the issue as the last time I mentioned a forum / internet thread about a problem I had, the dealer basically told me it was all scare stories on these places and even though it was a fix for something, they refused to acknowledge it.

Thanks again Stokeballoon much appreciated.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 28 February 2016, 11:25 »
It must drain the cavity around the back of the boot badge/opener, rather than specifically the RVC, as I have a grommet but no RVC.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 28 February 2016, 11:41 »
It must drain the cavity around the back of the boot badge/opener, rather than specifically the RVC, as I have a grommet but no RVC.

Yeah that makes sense as water will definitely get in around the rear badge whether you have a camera or not.
Although you would think this would be the same across the VW range that has this type of tailgate opening. There is no hole on my daughters tailgate of her Polo yet the water must go somewhere.

Offline stokeballoon

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 28 February 2016, 16:42 »

Yeah that makes sense as water will definitely get in around the rear badge whether you have a camera or not.
Although you would think this would be the same across the VW range that has this type of tailgate opening. There is no hole on my daughters tailgate of her Polo yet the water must go somewhere.

On the mk5, the hole the grommet locates in was there, but covered over with sealant, and there was no water in the boot, the badge only assembly on the 5 has no drain, I can't see the 7 being much different.  When we fitted the first camera to a Mk5 we didn't use the grommet and we introduced a leak.

Offline kevinm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 29 February 2016, 00:00 »
Hi Stevie,

I'll answer your pm here in case it is of use to sombody else.

The right hinge on my boot was adjusted in the factory. The paint on the bolts had been disturbed. It was late on in the assembly process as there is a scuff on the bumper where the bottom left corner of the boot rubbed off the bumper before adjustment. The dealer said they didn't adjust it during the pdi.

Amazingly, VW rely just on the paint to seal the joint between the boot hinge and the car body. When the right hinge was adjusted, the paint around the left hinge cracked and started to leak. It seemed to leak more when the car was moving rather than parked up. The leak wasn't visible from the inside because the roof trim under the hinge and c pillar trim are hard plastic so don't show any staining etc.

To fix it the dealer loosened the boot hinge and lifted it enough to put in the black sealant visible in the picture. There was enough slack in the cables so there was no need to unplug anything.

I would recommend taking out the carpet from the spare wheel well and drying it indoors. It's fairly obvious how to do this. The 2 bits of plastic that hold up the boot floor at the front have to come out and the trim around the catch for the boot lock. This trim is removed straight up. Do not pull the bottom forward as you will break it. The vehicle data sticker is behind this trim btw.

I've subscribed to the thread so I'll see any other questions. Good luck with the dealers. Hopefully yours is willing to listen to "suggestions". 
Current: His: 2020 M340i   Hers: 2019 GTD

Previous:
2014 GTI PP DSG
GTI ED30 DSG