Author Topic: Qaz's Mk4 1.8T Project 300bhp  (Read 38387 times)

Offline QazGolf

• Not said much yet
Qaz's Mk4 1.8T Project 300bhp
« on: 08 February 2014, 00:26 »
Hi everyone!

So my first car was a three door corsa 1.0 liter, it was a fun little car. After I sold it I missed it and decided I wanted something small but three door. My interests grew to a mk4 as my Mum had a v5 when I was younger, I have always admired the way they look and mainly because it had a turbo and I wanted to go fast!
So I looked high and low for one with a few mods so I could save money and not have to do them myself. I went to pick up my mk4 GTi and it was slightly hurt and needed much tlc. Instead of walking away I still wanted it and got it, the ride wasn't nice and there were a fair few things wrong with the car. I took it for an inspection as it's mot was coming up and changed a whole load of things including the wishbones, track rod ends, cv boot and joints and even timing belt. I didn't like the price of all of this at the time of just getting the car and decided I wanted to sell it once it was running better.
So it passed it's MOT and I decided I could look around and wait for a clean one and pay more for it or just stick with this as I have already put money into it!
So I think in that same month, November/ September, the road tax was due and it needed two front tires. Only got part worn tires just to drive it the way it is. After doing so the car decided it wanted to die every time the revs dropped or let go of the accelerator. This was due to throttle alignment, I think (so far lol) this was the biggest and scariest problem I had with the car and once it was fixed I felt the car did actually have potential.

However the revs still bounced around and I was told it was down to the throttle body being dirty, so I decided I wanted to try do it myself as I really want to learn more about the car and how to fix things on it so I can move onto bigger tasks... And I also changed a breather hose  :grin:

Enough back ground! I decided that it was time to get the car running smooth and then I could put more power into it. Ultimately I want to go down the k04 route so everything I do will lead up to that.

So got the throttle body off and it looked horrible a good while later,

and it was cleaner than your teeth  :grin:
now all I had to do was not break it and just put it back on.

Job done. I started the car and the revs sat perfectly and I was a very happy bunny, I did this round the end of January and then decided to was time to get the car driving smoother. Into the garage it went where the tie rod ends, ball joints were changed but this didn't solve the problem.
Further investigation told me that my front wishbone rear bushes had gone so I decided to get poly flex bushes as an upgrade!

I also cheekily ordered a decat and 3 inch downpipe

The bushes and downpipe were fitted yesterday.

The car runs so smooth now and has a better pick  up.

I have now decided for another couple of months not to spend any more money on the car however a local breaker is selling a k04 so I may get an early birthday present lol. I really look forward to questions and any advice as I want the car to run right, I hope to get the car done within a year span focusing on power then handling and lastly looks in that order.
I will try and update this thread occasionally if my funds allow me to do so! The thread will probably compose of pics of the setup I buy then bam it'll be on the car, unless I can do it then I will try to!
Big shout out to wazzer for all his help and also mattyfairbro240579 as he has taught me a bit about the k04 path  :evil:

Thanks for reading and stay posted!

Qaz

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
Re: Qaz's Mk4 1.8T Project 300bhp
« Reply #1 on: 08 February 2014, 17:04 »
Looks a nice project :afro:

Hows the ride with the poly bushes? Any different to standard?

Offline QazGolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 09 February 2014, 22:04 »
Thank you Dom I really appreciate that.
Before I changed the bushes I had A LOT of under steer issues but now it feels tighter and sticks slightly better through turns.
I think they are a good upgrade and my car hasn't been sliding around as much.

Offline QazGolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 09 February 2014, 22:06 »
And overall much smoother but that's because my old bushes were fully gone. So ride is a lot more smoother and no knocking.

Offline QazGolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 12 February 2014, 20:34 »
So after a really raining week I decided to would be a good idea to get the car washed!

I got home and decided to quickly polish it before work and it decided to drizzle half way through so the car didn't look amazingly clean but still looked alright

After searching for a k04 I finally got my hands on one! Got the manifold along with it, however I don't plan on using the stock manifold.

I can't wait to start getting other bits and pieces together after easter when I have some money haha. I am looking to get a cupra R fuel pump, s3/tt injectors, and a badger5 TIP. And a relentless v3 manifold.
Now I must not spend any more money on the car, the turbo is actually hidden away hence the only picture being in the dark as if someone finds out I spent more money on the car they won't be happy.

If anyone could advise me on other parts to try and get 300bhp that would be greatly appreciated or am I on the right path??

When no one is at home I will have a little photo shoot with the turbo haha.
That will be all for a few weeks as I have to send my Mum on holiday.
Thank you for reading  :smiley:

Offline QazGolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 12 February 2014, 20:35 »
And if noticed yes some has stolen my wheel caps lol  :sad:

Ps if anyone knows where I can send my turbo off to get hybrid-ed that would be great. I asked Dan from beach buggy turbos but he only supplies them hybrided.
I am also gonna put a forge actuator on the turbo too

Thanks
« Last Edit: 12 February 2014, 20:41 by QazGolf »

Offline sharki786

• I live here
  • GOT BOOST??
« Reply #6 on: 12 February 2014, 20:42 »
And if noticed yes some has stolen my wheel caps lol  :sad:

Wow some right tramps there. Good going with the k04 keep the updates comming. :wink:
*****MK3 Anniversary*****
*****MK4 GTI T*****

Offline QazGolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 12 February 2014, 20:46 »
Mate the sad thing is I parked it behind my road for a night whilst waiting for my residential permit to arrive and someone took it, in my own area!
Thanks man I really appreciate it, it may take some time to get all the parts but I would rather wait and get everything right so in the end nothing goes boom haha. Need to stay away from eBay and youtube keep watching relentless manifolds glow  :laugh:

Offline sharki786

• I live here
  • GOT BOOST??
« Reply #8 on: 12 February 2014, 20:52 »
Hahaha i know what you mean. I have an agu an i spent 3 hrs after work yesterday doing bits and bobs to my car with a FAIL! So i went back today and got 1 out of 3 things complete.so nearly there but a long way to go yet for me aswel.
*****MK3 Anniversary*****
*****MK4 GTI T*****

Offline QazGolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 12 February 2014, 20:54 »
Haha I hear you man, the first time I tried cleaning the throttle body I dropped one of the bolts in the engine bay moved the car forward and back, and I couldn't find it so had to wait till I got some more bolts. It happens I guess  :grin:
The only thing is my engine is AGU and I have noticed most k04 engines have the inlet on the opposite way, will I need to change my inlet manifold too?