Author Topic: GTD Fuel Tank Capacity?  (Read 42382 times)

Offline corgi

• I live here
Re: GTD Fuel Tank Capacity?
« Reply #10 on: 29 November 2013, 10:35 »
Can you fill the expansion tank on it?

Expansion tank?

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 29 November 2013, 11:48 »
There is no “expansion tank” as such. The MFD will claim that the tank is empty when there is around 6 to 7 litres left in it (43-44 litres consumed from full). The filler neck might allow for a little more fuel, but you run the risk of a bit of fuel running out through it when the tank is that full.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Skinnee D

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 15 December 2013, 09:18 »
Managed to squeeze 47 litres in the other day with indicated range just having reached 0 miles.
GTD + 3 pedals :-)

Offline johanr77

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 19 December 2013, 15:12 »
I managed to get 46 litres in it last week and it was indicating I had 10 miles left to empty. Do wonder if the misfuelling system is preventing the tank filling as far as it normally would.

I never could get much more than 50 litres in my MK6 though.

Offline jivemonkey

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 19 December 2013, 15:40 »
Once the gauge gets in to the 'red zone', does it tend to fly race to the bottom like my current Mk6?!
Golf VII GTD | 5dr DSG | Deep Pearl Black | Dynaudio | Winter Pack | High Beam Assist | "Advanced" Phone Prep

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 20 December 2013, 08:18 »
I managed to get 53 litres into the mk6 GTD once. :cool:
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 20 December 2013, 11:50 »

That’s because it has a 55L tank.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Skinnee D

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 21 December 2013, 07:31 »

That’s because it has a 55L tank.
I know someone who managed to get 20 gallons into a Triumph Dolomite once.  The previous owner had nicked the level gauge so he ended up filling the boot as well :grin:

Offline mike_f

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 30 December 2013, 15:35 »
I will fill it up next time when it is as empty as I dare to try and get another litre or two in it.

My economy is improving but still lower then I had expected / hoped / been led to believe. It is showing 40.1mpg since new, but 45.2mpg since last fill.

Perhaps these really do improve as the engine runs in, but still a long way off what we were "sold"!
I won't really be happy until it is consistently in the 50s.

I do a lot of mileage (2500 - 3000 miles per month) so i will report back on how this progresses. I will also do some long runs on eco to see how that affects things.

I have now had my car into the garage to have them check it over due to my claims of poor mpg.

I can get just short of 50mpg on a run driving it like a nun and long term it is showing just over 41mpg.

I have had the car for 4500 miles and have seen no running in gains worth speaking about.

In summary the GTD is a sub 50mpg car if driven sensibly! Probably lower mid 40s if driven a bit more enthusiastically.

Very poor compared to the Mk6 economy

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=176242.0

Offline Skinnee D

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 30 December 2013, 18:18 »
I will fill it up next time when it is as empty as I dare to try and get another litre or two in it.

My economy is improving but still lower then I had expected / hoped / been led to believe. It is showing 40.1mpg since new, but 45.2mpg since last fill.

Perhaps these really do improve as the engine runs in, but still a long way off what we were "sold"!
I won't really be happy until it is consistently in the 50s.

I do a lot of mileage (2500 - 3000 miles per month) so i will report back on how this progresses. I will also do some long runs on eco to see how that affects things.

I have now had my car into the garage to have them check it over due to my claims of poor mpg.

I can get just short of 50mpg on a run driving it like a nun and long term it is showing just over 41mpg.

I have had the car for 4500 miles and have seen no running in gains worth speaking about.

In summary the GTD is a sub 50mpg car if driven sensibly! Probably lower mid 40s if driven a bit more enthusiastically.

Very poor compared to the Mk6 economy

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=176242.0
That's considerably worse than I've been getting (a manual) since the start.  With less than 3000 miles on my long term average has always been 50+ (even allowing for computer / mileometer optimism which amounts to less than 2mpg).

Did the garage have anything constructive to say?  Any assertion that it's okay surely must be bullsh!t when there are others who are consistently getting a lot better.  I run everything set to Sport mode, except ADC and A/C which are on Eco, if that's any help.