Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2740329 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #9240 on: 23 February 2019, 12:28 »
Cheers Watts - great fun having roads like this on the doorstep  :smiley:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Robo999

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9241 on: 23 February 2019, 12:37 »
Ive spent the morning giving my o/s mirror some first aid after sum1 assulted it last night  :angry:
Luckily i caught up to them with some questionable driving  :whistle: and then tommorow going to caffine and machine. Has anybody been?
Mk7 GTI Edition 40 Clubsport no. 53

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #9242 on: 23 February 2019, 16:25 »
Swapped my wheels/tyres front to rear at 6000 miles and 10 months old to even out the wear and put some copper grease on the hubs to prevent the wheels sizing on. Pirelli P Zeros 225/35/19’s had 8mm on them when new. Rears have just over 7.3mm, and fronts around 6.25mm, and all wearing quite evenly. Also lowered the the pressures down a little from 39 to 37psi and see how I go.

I also had to machine polish out (sucesfully) a rather long scratch that some kn*bhead left in the drivers door of her Polo Blue GT.
« Last Edit: 23 February 2019, 16:26 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #9243 on: 23 February 2019, 17:43 »
Went for an early drive with a mate in the Peaks  :cool:

Awesome  :cool:
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #9244 on: 24 February 2019, 11:01 »
Trying to make the car as childproof as possible during the winter months, so I decided to take a punt on a heavy duty rubber mat set I saw on eBay.

Anyone who has very young kids will know that the little buggers won't wait to get out of their own side, they will clamber across to the side you are getting the first child out of... so the tunnel cover appealed to me (although I wish it didn't have the GTI logo on it), as did the boot mat to stop things sliding around and keep the wet/muddy boots/bags/brollys in place.

The kit turned up today and on first inspection it seems really good. For the cost I wasn't expecting them to be so thick and heavy, but they are, and the fit is really good. I think they will do the job nicely...

:smiley:

Have you got a link for the boot liner as I have the rest and as you say really impressed with the quality of them but the liner wasn't available when I got mine a few months ago.

*EDit*

Doesn't matter. found them on Fleabay and ordered one.
Apologies, only just seen this!  :embarrassed: Glad you found it.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9245 on: 24 February 2019, 16:17 »
Today I gave it a bath (first one in a couple months) then polished my pipes

My pipes now gleam and my fingers look like they belong to a chimney sweep...
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9246 on: 24 February 2019, 17:24 »
Paid to replace the leaking front DCC shocks. Ouch. Beans on toast for the rest of the month now.
What symptoms did you experience that got you to replace them?

Both front shocks were picked up at the MOT as leaking - that was about 3 months ago. Checked again at service and it was getting worse. Felt ok to drive still but there was a lot of noise on the rebound.
2013 Golf GTI (PP) Tornado Red
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #9247 on: 24 February 2019, 18:00 »
Now I'm over 1000miles and the sun was shining, I decided to go out and blast across some A/B roads to get fully acquainted with the car. Along my way I stumbled across a Focus RS...

... and the owner was willing to play sensibly (no dangerous overtakes or silly games), I can happily report back the Golf held it's own very well(!), particularly through the twists & turns. The RS was popping & banging quite a lot so I can only assume he was changing gears a fair amount and as he couldn't get away easily, he was clearly struggling to shift quickly and find the right gears. I had the car into manual Sport mode flicking my paddles on the wheel up & down with ease, god bless you DSG! He turned off after about 10 miles and we acknowledged each other. I was suitably impressed as I expected the Focus to be long gone.

But after that bit of fun, the gods decided to punish me. I went for a spot of lunch in a pub, came out, started the car, and the TPMS warning immediately came up telling my the pressure on the front right was down. So I got acquainted with the spare wheel and jack etc...

Turns out it was this screw which I can only assume I picked up whilst blasting around the A/B roads earlier in the day...

I'm so glad I binned the tyre insurance I was offered, so it's off to the tyre place tomorrow to get a new one...  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: 24 February 2019, 18:09 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #9248 on: 24 February 2019, 19:12 »
But after that bit of fun, the gods decided to punish me. I went for a spot of lunch in a pub, came out, started the car, and the TPMS warning immediately came up telling my the pressure on the front right was down. So I got acquainted with the spare wheel and jack etc...

Turns out it was this screw which I can only assume I picked up whilst blasting around the A/B roads earlier in the day...

I'm so glad I binned the tyre insurance I was offered, so it's off to the tyre place tomorrow to get a new one...  :rolleyes:

Can’t it be repaired? The screw is well within the area of the tread where repairs are permitted. Some years ago, I picked up a screw in a similar part of the tread and the tyre place I took it to was able to to plug it from the inside.

Whether the tyre’s repairable or needs replacing, just make sure you take it to a place you trust not to damage your diamond cut alloy, as they’re easily damaged by careless fitters or poorly maintained tyre changing equipment. I’d recommend taking some pictures of the wheel and get the tyre fitting place to agree it’s condition before they start work.
« Last Edit: 24 February 2019, 19:30 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #9249 on: 24 February 2019, 20:02 »
Now I'm over 1000miles and the sun was shining, I decided to go out and blast across some A/B roads to get fully acquainted with the car. Along my way I stumbled across a Focus RS...

... and the owner was willing to play sensibly (no dangerous overtakes or silly games), I can happily report back the Golf held it's own very well(!), particularly through the twists & turns. The RS was popping & banging quite a lot so I can only assume he was changing gears a fair amount and as he couldn't get away easily, he was clearly struggling to shift quickly and find the right gears. I had the car into manual Sport mode flicking my paddles on the wheel up & down with ease, god bless you DSG! He turned off after about 10 miles and we acknowledged each other. I was suitably impressed as I expected the Focus to be long gone.

Unlucky with the tyre but looks like an easy repair.

As for expecting the Focus to leave you, real world on A and B roads, the GTI is more than capable in the right hands to keep up with far more expensive and powerful cars. I did 86 miles around the Peaks yesterday with a Cayman GT4 and there wasnt a moment when mine was any slower. It was a little cold and damp so FWD helps against RWD, 385bhp and semi slicks!  :smiley:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey