Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2765760 times)

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #8470 on: 25 May 2018, 08:26 »
Great news! Do you know where they sent it? Always handy to know a good place just in case...
GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #8471 on: 25 May 2018, 11:15 »
I believe it was the Sytner Group bodyshop in Huddersfield.

2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #8472 on: 25 May 2018, 12:29 »
For rather than to. Signed up to another 2 years service plan. Covers a major and a minor for about £22 a month x20, £27 mots plus free collection and redelivery. It all went well on the last service and they do seem to be pretty helpful including a minor warranty claim that I went in about today.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8473 on: 25 May 2018, 13:13 »
For rather than to. Signed up to another 2 years service plan. Covers a major and a minor for about £22 a month x20, £27 mots plus free collection and redelivery. It all went well on the last service and they do seem to be pretty helpful including a minor warranty claim that I went in about today.

It sounds like you're planning a long term relationship with the car Watts  :cool:

Got the GTI back and returned the loaner R. TBH, even with my super critical eye, I can't even seen where they have repaired it. The paint match is perfect and the finish flawless, with no overspray what so ever. Been over the whole car (and wheels) and there's not a mark on it anywhere. Super delighted to have it back and it looks stunning.

Also noticed that since dropping it off last Tuesday 15th, it's only done 0.4 miles, so no ones been hooning it around in it whilst it was away. a happy bunny.

Now to continue to run it in and enjoy it (just clocked 200 miles on it on the way into work this morning).

Great news that the car is looking as good as you'd hoped now.

How does the GTI feel after the R?

What are your lasting impressions of the R?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #8474 on: 25 May 2018, 13:41 »

It sounds like you're planning a long term relationship with the car Watts  :cool:

I don't like change :rolleyes: Another couple of years will go quickly then perhaps I'll see about changing, unless of course something crops up, you just never know :whistle:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #8475 on: 25 May 2018, 14:02 »

I don't like change :rolleyes: Another couple of years will go quickly then perhaps I'll see about changing, unless of course something crops up, you just never know :whistle:

I did the same Watts when I had my Polo GTI serviced earlier this year, and I also don’t like change (it’s probably an age thing :grin:). I set up another service plan for two more years. My car will be 4 years old in 2020, and I’ll probably consider changing it then - current thinking is for a new Polo GTI+. By then, the waiting times of 40+ weeks :shocked: that are currently being quoted for a factory build Polo GTI+ will hopefully be something more reasonsble too, and there’ll hopefully be some decent discounts to be had too.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #8476 on: 25 May 2018, 14:33 »
Got the GTI back and returned the loaner R. TBH, even with my super critical eye, I can't even seen where they have repaired it. The paint match is perfect and the finish flawless, with no overspray what so ever. Been over the whole car (and wheels) and there's not a mark on it anywhere. Super delighted to have it back and it looks stunning.

Also noticed that since dropping it off last Tuesday 15th, it's only done 0.4 miles, so no ones been hooning it around in it whilst it was away. a happy bunny.

Now to continue to run it in and enjoy it (just clocked 200 miles on it on the way into work this morning).

Great news that the car is looking as good as you'd hoped now.

How does the GTI feel after the R?

What are your lasting impressions of the R?

That's a great question Exonian. I'm sure many here will expect me to say the "R" was in a league of it's own and that I'm now slumming it in a GTI, well for me not so.

First things first, the "R" is a truly stunning machine. It's very quick, safe and predictable. It also has a wonderful sound track (compared to the rather anaemic sound from the GTI). However for me, I found it felt a touch heavy (probably the AWD), with much weightier steering feel than the GTI (some may like this). For me, though as brilliant as the "R" is, the 2 minor issues for me are

a) It doesn't look anything special and was mistaken in our car park at work a few times for a standard Golf R-Line 1.4. Unless you look at the quad pipes (which I think are a little overkill on a small hatch), it does look pretty innocuous.  I know the GTI is also a little understated by hot hatch standards, but I think the red accents at the front, and the fog lights etc., and the rear treatment with the twin exhaust pipes looks better to my eye. I know this is purely subjective and some people will prefer the "sleeper" look of the R

b) the other thing for me is that although the R is shockingly fast, it does it so well and with such composure, that (dare I say) it just borders on a little boring. Again I know the GTI isn't exactly the last word in hot hatch dynamics, but to me it just feels faster and more urgent (even though it's clearly not). Maybe modern hot hatches are now so good and do their jobs so ruthlessly well that they all feel just a little boring ?

Don't get me wrong, If I'd had gone for an R, I certainly wouldn't have been disappointed, it's a great car, but I find the GTI is just the nice middle (maybe conservative) ground between the GTD and the R in terms of looks, performance and fuel economy.

I'm sure many will disagree with me, but the acid test was, when I gave the R" back and collected my GTI, I didn't look back once at it, but instead had a grin from ear to ear whilst say back in my GTI. Maybe I'm just mad   :D :D :D
« Last Edit: 25 May 2018, 14:37 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #8477 on: 25 May 2018, 15:00 »

I did the same Watts when I had my Polo GTI serviced earlier this year, and I also don’t like change (it’s probably an age thing :grin:). I set up another service plan for two more years. My car will be 4 years old in 2020, and I’ll probably consider changing it then - current thinking is for a new Polo GTI+. By then, the waiting times of 40+ weeks :shocked: that are currently being quoted for a factory build Polo GTI+ will hopefully be something more reasonsble too, and there’ll hopefully be some decent discounts to be had too.

Sounds a plan :smiley: I'm still really enjoying my car so if I changed it would likely be for something very similar. Don't want to spend another £10k on the same thing only newer when mine is hardly old.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #8478 on: 25 May 2018, 15:28 »
Actually this is quite interesting to me. The wife's car (a 2016 Polo Blue GT), is now over 2 years old and she loves it, so she's decided she wants to purchase it outright next year (we have the money to pay it off already). thing is when we purchased the car, we got the dealership to throw in the 2 years free servicing. Well, she's recently used the last of her two free services, so we were wondering what to do next year when the 3rd year one is due ?

Are you saying that you can extend the service contract with VW, if so how please ?

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #8479 on: 25 May 2018, 15:47 »
Drove the R down to my dealer to drop off the registration for the Up GTI and agree to collect it next Friday.

No dealer prep being done on the Up as going straight to the detailer for some PPF and coatings